Youngest umpire?

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by rusty, Sep 1, 2006.

1. rusty

rusty FHF Newbie

just wonderin, who knows or is a young umpire? need a proper level 1 qualification

i think i was 12 or 13 when i got my level 1, and i rushed the thoery and got 85% :D iv been umpiring at the national mini's since i started too

2. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

well done rusty i think u were fortunate that your have been umpiring at the national minis as you will get good coaching and experience at this event

3. speaker2

speaker2 FHF Regular Player

Ive got level 1 (94 %) and im 14

4. rusty

rusty FHF Newbie

yeh lol my 1st regional minis umpiring they invited me, good stuff

5. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

I really hope that you continue to umpire alongside your playing. The world could do with more youngsters learning the rules of hockey. I made my decision to finnish playing at 26 due to injuries and the fact that I had the chance to umpire higher than I will play and people told me I was ok, if a junior sees the potential in the umpiring side of the game as they are not the best player in the world then they have a long time infront of them to develop and reach the very top in the sport. I certainly wish someone had introduced me to umpiring at a younger age

6. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Im on state senior at age 18, Queensland did away with written tests a while ago, now you just get graded when you go away to umpire, i got my state junior at 13 (the equivalent of a level 1)

7. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

zippytime here here to players starting to umpire a younger age if they realise that they will never make it to the top as a player. By the way I stopped playing (A Grade) at 26 as well due to injuries.

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

I didn't stop playing competitively (I still play for my club in the top city league, but remember, this is Canada we're talking about) until I was 29. I remember it quite clearly - a career defender, I'm playing in my 10th senior national championship for Alberta. We're playing Ontario and I'm the inserter/injector/whatever you call it. The first shot is stopped, the rebound pops out straight at me and I score my first goal for Alberta (in 16 years of trying!) . As I'm jumping up and down, the all the off-duty tournament umpires are yelling from the sidelines - "Alright Keely, you can quit now!"

And I did. :D

In some ways I wish I'd stopped playing earlier for the international possibilities. At the same time, I know that one of my strengths is my feel of the game I wouldn't have developed it as well had I not played for so long. I continue to play club so that I can stay in touch with what's going on from the player's perspective - I watch the umpires doing my games and think "yeah, I really liked that presentation, I believe in that call" or "I'll make sure I don't do that the next time I'm on the pitch!". It's also great training.

9. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Luckily keely I tend to grab a game every now and then and in the off season I always have mixed to play so i still get the feel of the game I also spend a vast amount of my time at the side of pitches watching all different levels of hockey as a fan, friend etc which also helps as I think that is something that has helped me keep improving as fast as I am oh yes and the watching of high level umpires improved my umpiring leaps and bounds :D

10. ellzz204

ellzz204 FHF Newbie

well i'm 15 so not the youngest and i'm doing my Grade C Badge Umpire. next friday (29/10/2010) is when we go to a craft night with our completed theory tests and get our results you have to get 95% (71/75) to pass and if you don't pass you have to retake it another time before you can then do the practical part.

:)