wording for players,

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by foozbear, Jan 23, 2011.

1. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

ok...

I had been thinking today as I have had occasion to say something during a game and the players react in different ways..

Im looking for a better way to say...

" I didnt see it hit a foot."

Currently I have used...I didnt see it hit the foot...this is clearly saying I didnt ee a foot and the players then gripe that it was 5 metres in front of me...how could I not see it?

I have used...it looked like it didnt hit a foot....this makes me sound like im guessing...but all im really saying is...what it looked like.

I have used ....it didnt hit the foot....which if those that saw it hit the foot, would think...the guy is lying/or is stupid.

Has anyone got any wording that works for them?

2. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

"Sorry, I can only blow what I see"
    works for me.

"Unsighted" Or I'll hold up my hand as if shielding my eyes and shrug

3. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I only blow what I THINK I see! (Or what my colleague signals, if I ask for help!)

It has become clear to me, over the years ...in fact from quite early-on in my umpiring... that our eyes DO occasionally 'deceive us'!
    I have 'seen' events which don't require a subjective element ... e.g. the ball hit the player's foot...and given a decision based on that, only to see from the reaction players on both sides, that I almost certainly got it wrong.

The situation which I've found has caught me out a couple of times is a slightly lifted ball coming straight towards me, which hit a player on the body.
    I have given a FH against the player who was hit, thinking it was well below knee height, only to discover that it has hit his thigh! (on one occasion the player showed me the rapidly-developing bruise!!).

Confidence is important, but, IMO, a modicum of humility is not a bad quality to acquire :)

I can also recall an occasion when only I and the offender knew that a PS was the correct call ....so it does work both ways.
    However, players can forget their mistakes; umpires are not 'allowed' to make them :rolleyes:

So my comment, if needed, would tend to be "I only blow 'em as I see them!" .

(edited to insert a missing word!)

4. keely

keely FHF Legend

"Sorry, I didn't see it that way."

Acknowledges there is more than one vantage point/angle/way of interpreting optical signals.

Tone and presentation are, in my view, the more critical part of the exchange. Speaking with confidence and calm and showing no resentment or anxiety that you've been questioned or you potentially missed something imbues the player with the same calm and confidence in you.

And, of course, not having to say it too often. :)

5. m0rph3us

m0rph3us FHF Regular Player

Yup - if players on BOTH teams are calling the opposite to what you have seen it's often better to defer to them! Unless you are 100% confident that you're right and everyone else is wrong. :p

But other than that, I think keely's suggestion is on the money.

6. AUSSIE GK

AUSSIE GK FHF Starter

for me its just a simple " I didn't see it " and thats it i just dont enter into arguments with players ive never seen a good umpire change their decision because of what a player has said

7. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I don't believe in getting into arguments either, but a blunt " I didn't see it " is just a tad too confrontational for me .... it's almost inviting a "Try harder!" response, IMO.
    I like keely's "Sorry, I didn't see it that way." best ...you are admitting the possibility of error, but not implying that you might change your decision!

And I have seen 'good umpires' change such decisions ... not to even consider a 'good case' seems a trifle arrogant ... sorry! What if .. in a 'hot' situation, such as a PC.. player politely asks you to get a 'second opinion' from your colleague?

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

Good point, justin.

Maybe a quick look to your colleague at that moment, after which you can honestly say, "Sorry I didn't see it that way, and I checked with my colleague."

It can get a bit dicey with how you say your colleague responded to you. You can get them into trouble or make them look bad by saying "I checked with them and they didn't see it differently" may not be accurate; perhaps they just didn't see anything conclusive one way or the other, or you looked at them and didn't manage to catch their eye. With the more vague response "I checked with my colleague" covers the implication that since they weren't desperately trying to get your attention to correct the heinous error you just made, it must have been ok.

9. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

ok thanks for the responses,

it helps having others to talk to on this...one day Ill be awesome!