Will an upgrade make a difference?

Discussion in 'Which stick? (includes Stick Reviews)' started by Newbie86, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Newbie86

Newbie86 FHF Newbie

Newbie here. I joined a club last year (having not played since school) and got myself a £15 Grays stick at the time as I wasn't sure if I was going to keep playing. A year and a bit on, I'm playing for the 2nd team and wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice using quite a basic stick? Will getting something a bit more advanced make a difference now that I've at least relearned the basics? For info, I play up front, not great at dribbling so go for speed and basic control, want a bit more power behind my strikes.

2. AP_HUMHC

AP_HUMHC FHF Starter

I would say yes, having played a decent amount of mid-level club hockey the jump from very much a beginners stick, like your £15 Grays, to an intermediate stick is where you will see the most difference in a hockey stick, in my own personal experience as a very average player anyway! Stepping into a brand's middle stick ranges allows you to get a stick that will match your game, e.g. a weight you find comfortable, a bow that will help you when dribbling or get a bit more power from strikes etc.

The obvious caveat here is that the stick is only as good as the player and getting a better stick obviously won't magically enable you to hit the ball at 100mph into the roof of the net every time but I would have thought an upgrade would stand you in good stead after progressing up the teams in your club. There is no substitute for good technique but again a better stick will at least show you if you need to make tweaks to your game if you still aren't getting the results you want.

My last piece of advice is to try out any new stick before being it, if at all possible. You can read all the marketing and stick information you want but you can only really find out what a stick is like by trying it out.

I hope this helps.

3. Newbie86

Newbie86 FHF Newbie

That's really helpful, thanks. Obviously I'm not expecting miracles, but it does feel like the very basic stick doesn't always respond the way I would want and a better stick might.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing FHF Newbie

Not sure what 15 quid would you over there, but here in Oz, it would be a wood core stick. I hated them. Very 'dead' to play with, not forgiving on mishits at all and can be quite jarring. I was given an ageing fibreglass gryphon, which hit like beast, but was quite bottom heavy, so not helpful to dribble with.

A mid range stick will be light and have a lot of carbon, so should hit more reliably and harder. But I've seen good players who aren't into gear and play great with cheap sticks...

I mainly tackle, trap and pass, and don't take on opposition players much, so a mid range stick with a standard bow suits me. If you have better stick skills a stick with more bow might suit. But you have to try a few. Shops here have hitting nets, which gives you a decent feel of a stick.