whistle

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by nerd_is_the_word, Jun 14, 2006.

1. David Gillard

David Gillard FHF Regular Player

I lent my mini fox 40 to an umpire in Gympie recently and he has as yet failed to return it , it must be good , if you are out there please send it back :'(

2. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

Its all the cyanide they use in the gold mining, Dave. Give me a call on 0407495335 and I'll bring one to Helensvale for ya'

ANIMAL

3. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I have to tell all the "There is only one whistle" apologists out there that there are whistles using 'peas' which are louder than any peales, are much easier to blow, and like all pea whistles, are much more 'expressive' than pealess, which are either 'Loud' or 'A Biit Louder'.

However, it appears that Fox and Acme Tornados have 'taken over the World' and will continue to be fashionable until some senior umpire has the guts to show 'em they could be wrong ;)

4. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Wow, am I the only one who doesn't like the mini? I used one a few times from my dad's kayaking kit, but I just couldn't get the sound I wanted out of it. Maybe it's because I'm a saxophone player, and used to a fairly large mouthpiece, but the fox40 classic is the only whistle I really like.

...Now if only I could find one in magenta (I currently have yellow, and neon, both of which are pretty hideous).

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

I had no idea I could be a "one whistle apologist", but I sure hope it isn't catching. ;)

I imagine there may be whistles that can be louder than the Fox40. It's not that it's the loudest, but it's the tone that everyone at the highest levels are accustomed to. I have yet to see an umpire at an international tournament show up with a different whistle and not to have it stripped out of their hands shortly after their first game. You don't want anyone hearing you blow and then turn around, "what the hell is THAT?"

As for expression, that is totally within the control of the blower. I have never had a problem showing a good range (if I do say so myself! sorry) with a Fox40.

If I heard another whistle that didn't make me cringe, I'd consider it.

:)

6. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

yeah i dont like pea whistle for the fact that you can hear the tone going up and down as the pea moves, it just gives me the irrits. I reckon i get a way better range out of fox 40s than i do out of pea whistles but other people mite have different experience. I dont think that the actual noise output would really be that much of a factor in umpiring would it? like as long as you blow loud enough there is no real need for extra loud, apart from the 'strong' blows you need to give for bad offences

7. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

As for expression, that is totally within the control of the blower. I have never had a problem showing a good range (if I do say so myself! sorry) with a Fox40.

A few years ago you could have said the same about what in UK is called the International, a clone of the Balilla Italian police whistle, and the similar Japanese Noda(all copied, I think, from an original Acme design!). They were 'flavour of the year' and used without problems by hundreds thousands of top umpires.
    Then along came Mr Fox with a story about how his pea used to freeze when doing ice-hockey....... :D

NITW said he doesn't like the variable pitch of a pea whistle... well, that, IMO, is its great strength. Umpire coaches always used to speak about "making the whistle talk" and that was and is easy with a pea whistle; all you can do with a pealess is blow it harder or longer :(

Fox40 is, IMO, too high-pitched for 'optimium audibility'; the human ear hears better at lower frequencies(about 3000Hz), and I have had personal experience of umpiring with a colleague using F40, in a very high wind, and I, and the players had some difficulty hearing him.

I'm sure that I am also 'whistling in the wind' here, as the Fox has become the whistle of choice for so many organisations, but it might be worthy of note that people whose lives may depend on their being heard often choose another type for their survival kits, and for every day signalling (for example the US Coastguard).

I only used to 'cringe', occasionally, at the sound of a whistle when I was playing :p

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.. :)

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

UMs still speak about making the whistle talk, and I have no problem doing that with a Fox40.

Well, I guess I spend a lot of time concentrating on an umpire's presentation, particularly my own. There may well be other whistles out there that are a better alternatives than the Fox40, but it ain't the fluttery pea whistle.

9. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

You Canadians do have to stick together :D

As I said earlier, I don't expect to 'convert' anyone, but to describe the best pea whistles as "fluttery" is, IMO, as inaccurate as saying that you can vary the pitch of pealess whistles; you can only blow 'em louder or longer :)
    To me they just sound thin and shrill. (I've got 4 Foxes in my 'collection'... 2 Classics a Mini & a Pearl... as well as various Tornados & Cyclones, so I have tried 'em!)

10. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

where are the canadians sticking together? im australian, and the only other canadian in this topic (apart from keely) hates the fox40. :D

its not that i dont like the variable pitch of the pea whistle, its just that when you blow there is a 'rattle' to it because of the movement of the pea. When you blow a fox40, even though you can get different pitches, generally you tend to get the same pitch during the entirety of a single blow, just doesnt sound as wimpy

11. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

We'll just have to agree to differ; IMO a good-quality pea whistle with a small chamber has no discernible 'rattle' whenit's blown. They also require much less 'puff' than a pealess so probably react a few microseconds more quickly :p
    There's certainly nothing 'wimpy' about the ones used by the US Coastguard, of which I have 2 ; they are responsive and loud enough to stop a riot and have been tested for their ability to be heard through by an American Football player wearing a helmet! :)

12. keely

keely FHF Legend

justin, can you make sure in the future that you don't use yellow font in your posts? It's very difficult to read against the gray background of the page.

I had forgotten about the Fox being Canadian, but when you mention that and then repeatedly remind us that the US Coastguard uses something else, well, you're really setting me in!

:D

13. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Sorry, keely, I clicked one level too low!

Also sorry to wind you up by mentioning your neighbours, but, as the whistle is US-made, it has been taken-up mainly by US organisations (sorry, organiZations!), for example:
    Special Forces Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
    U.S. Dept. of the Interior
    U.S. Coast Guard, Washington, D.C.
    U.S. Naval Destroyer, U.S.N.S. John Ericsson
    U.S. Aircraft Carrier, U.S.S. Enterprise
    U.S. Army Troop Support Avionic Command, St. Louis, Missouri
    Park Forest Police Dept., Park Forest, Illinois
    NFL Referees
    Yuba City Police Dept., Yuba City, California
    Emergency Survival Systems, Sunnyville, California
    Disaster Solutions, Venice, Florida
    Dive Rescue, Fort Collins, Colorado
    New York Police Department
    Chicago Police Department
    Fort Worth Police Department
    Atlanta Police Department
    Red Cross

It's biggest drawback, IMO, is its odd appearance, but I think if you used a black one few would notice anything except its efficiency!
    I have had literally only a couple of comments from players, usually along the lines "C****, that's loud!" and a few, mostly rather stupidly prejudiced, remarks from fellow-umpires!

http://www.stormwhistles.com/index.html (The demo takes a long time to load and emphasises its use as a safety whistles, but the main requirement of a whistle is to be easily-heard...)

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

Okay, okay, okay! I think we get it. You're starting to get as persistent as our dearly departed Conundrum.

:p

15. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Let the record show that I do not hate the Fox40...only the mini. :D The classic is my friend.

16. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I usually only answer the points raised, and, unlike some, try to do it reasonably concisely :p
    Persistent? ..... yes, but 'pots & kettles', I'd say :D

17. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yeah, what happened to him? Did you frighten him off Keely? :D

18. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Oooh! You tease, NitW! :D

19. redumpire

FHF Moderator

That's not very lady-like, Keely. Oh, sorry, my mistake. As you were...

20. keely

keely FHF Legend

Hey now, reserve your comments about my lady-likedness until we've have a pint together. Otherwise, that's just pre-judging... :p