whistle

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by nerd_is_the_word, Jun 14, 2006.

1. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Im looking to get my hands on a fox 40 mini whistle. Ive looked around in Local shops but they are extremely difficult to get ur hands on... i used to have one and it was one of the best whistles i ever had. Does anybody know where you can get one or be able to get one?

on that topic how many people these days use fox 40 (or other non-pea whistles) and how many use old school pea whistles?

2. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

I'm in the process of trying to track down Fox 40 minis (I have two in very used conditions) for Simon so when I find them I'll let you know

3. airnews

airnews FHF Newbie

Mini Fox 40's seem to wear faster than there regular counterparts, that's what i've found.

Just cant beat the sound that they make though!!!!

4. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

Hi guys and gals,

Whats the difference between a normal fox 40 and a mini fox 40? I have a normal fox 40, so would juct love to know out of interst.

But the normal fox 40 is a very nice whistle, nice sharp sound that everybody turns and looks at you, but it does take some time to get used to it from a normal pea whistle i feel.

Sp@m :D

5. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Minis are approx 2/3 the size of a normal Fox 40, but have a clearer/sharper tone than the Fox 40 (you can easily hear the difference).

If you want a higher note from the Fox whistles, wrap one finger over the two holes at the top of the whistle (make sure you do not obstruct the hole at the bottom) and blow.

6. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Mines a miny fox 40 cant do without it and they are readily available in the UK. my spare ones are varied including the normal fox 40 8)

I noticed some of the refarees at the world cup using fox 40's not sure if they were norm or mini ones though.

7. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

nerd_is_the_word, try these places for Fox 40 minis
    Mountain Designs Brisbane
    105 Albert Street
    BRISBANE, 4000
    Ph 07 3221 6756
    Fax 07 3221 8032
    email brisbane@mountaindesigns.com

Globe Trekker Adventure Gear
    142 Albert Street
    BRISBANE, 4000
    Ph 07 3221 4476
    Fax 07 3221 3035
    email globetrekker@ozemail.com.au

Paddy Pallin
    138 Wickham Street
    FORTITUDE VALLEY, 4006
    Ph 07 3252 4408
    Fax 07 3257 1940
    email fortitudevalley@paddypallin.com.au

K2 Base Camp Brisbane
    140 Wickham Street
    FORTITUDE VALLEY, 4006
    Ph 07 3854 1340
    Fax 07 3854 1281
    email info@k2basecamp.com.au

Let me know if you find them.

8. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Is the fox 40 mini not a popular whistle over in australia. I would of thought if it was a popular whistle it would be redilly available

9. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

The mini is not, the standard Fox 40 is. I guess it is because Mazon put their sticker on them (Fox 40's) and sell them in their Hockey stores which are located at hockey centres.

10. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Marketing reasons hey. just like at the football world cup when england fans were made to take off their nike caps had them confiscated and returned after the game because addidas were worried about the money they had paid for advertising during the tournament.

Maybe it would be worth asking mazon to put their logo on a mini then it would probably be more available

11. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Personally I would like to see the mazon brand put where the sun don't shine. I think they just take good ideas, rebadge, re-engineer them (lower the quality), put a big price tag (retail) then discount them for no reason. Then because they have stores in hockey centres they have a captive audience and are able to "push market" there stuff.
    By the way I'm not a mazon fan (although I do play with their goalie sticks)

12. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Are their outfield sticks no good ???

13. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

I think their field sticks are excellent. But I wouldn't pay RRP for them. Mind you the same can be said about pretty much every brand...

14. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Their top of the range wooden stick only costs about £67 over here in england, sounds a good price to me

15. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

Mazon don't make wood sticks any more just "Wood Core Composite". Ask them they'll tell you. Only problem is that they price them the same as a genuine composite stick.

Magpie, if you want, I will get some of the Mini fox 40's in for you keep me posted.
    Animal

16. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Animal can you let me know the cost of the whistles?

17. suzisnail

suzisnail FHF Regular Player

I use a mini fox forty and they are heaps good. i also have a normal fox forty that i use at school for PE and stuff.
    I had no problems buying them in Canberra. I found them just at the local sports store(rebel sport). They cost me about $10 (Aus) and have lasted me ages.
    In fact yesterday i was tlaking to a couple of umpires here for the u21 nationals and they were saying that they swear by the mini fox forty. However another umpire who has been umpiring for about thirty years says she swears by the $2 toy shop pea whistle.

When i first started umpiring i was told by my coach to get a mini fox forty but i suppose it is up to personal choice. As long as it makes a sound and you can communicate through it i suppose i doesn't matter what whistle you use.

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

I personally haven't heard the Mini Fox 40 (I assume it's this one) but as for the question of Fox 40 vs. pea whistle.... There is only one whistle. A pea whistle sounds mealy and apologetic compared to the Fox. There may be international umpires out there that use something other than the Fox 40 but I haven't seen them in use (I've personally witnessed 50% of the women's WP, 71% of the WDP, 62% of the GR1, 70% of the PL, etc. etc.). It might as well be the official whistle of hockey.

An colleague and countryman of mine has recently started using the Micro, but I'm not convinced I like the sound. It's a little thinner and higher - or maybe the slim design causes him to partially cover the holes with his fingers at times. Has anyone else tried it?

19. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Yes Keely that is the mini fox 40 being talked about, mine has become a superstition as if idont have it i dont seem to umpire aswel.

On the other whistle it looks funky but not sure it suits a man maybe a women with smaller fingers would find it easier to use. Maybe I will get one and try it out it cant hurt

20. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

To all in Aus. I now have a stock of mini40's @ $10 each, you will have to PM me to get the details though.

ANIMAL