What are your top tips for a convert to the outfield

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by broadstone, Aug 25, 2017.

1. broadstone

broadstone FHF All Time Great

hello fieldies!

I have been a keeper for all of my hockey career of ten years or so but this season I'm planning to play outfield to get fitter and to take a bit of a break from having balls hit at me.

So, what I'm interested in are your top tips on how to become a (semi) decent outfield player! What are the top skills and attributes I'm going to need!

Cheers,
    Broadstone

2. jonberg

jonberg FHF Top Player

Wow, it's rare that we get these kind of conversions. For some reason I always find that keepers make good strikers. Fitness is important and work on your positioning. Since you've been so long in goal you might need to look again at supporting angles instead of just closing down angles.

3. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Don't turn too the dark side .....

4. broadstone

Three possible explanations for this:
    1. We like to be in the D, it's where we are comfortable on the pitch and like to dominate there
    2. We like to hit stuff and if it's not a forward, might as well be the ball at goal
    3. Glory hunters. Only thing rivalling making a save is scoring a goal

.....what are supporting angles? Or closing down angles?

BossFHockey and Michael Byrne like this.
  5. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

Play as a striker. Write down for yourself the 5 most irritating things you see in strikers when you are GK, the striker getting in the back post unmarked and getting the tip in for instance, and try to be someone who would make your list, you will be sure to get under an opposition GKs skin.

6. broadstone

at the moment, only going to be for a season ;) going to be doing a bit of training in goal as well so i don't lose all my skill there

7. Noman0013

Noman0013 FHF Newbie

I find standing in the other GK's sight line annoys the bejesus out of them, esp when you move to follow the ball automatically... Also make deflections easier...

Alternatively playing as a fullback (or outside half), and just talk, talk, talk.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. Grim_D

Grim_D FHF Regular Player

@broadstone your angles when pressing or closing down a player (high press if a forward etc.) or zonal marking and your reach for interceptions, supporting by positioning yourself in an area that forces a pass out wide or across than through.

Simon Mason played a little outfield after letting Brothers take over in goal for Reading, Tommy Alexander plays outfield for Reading mixed and Ian Scanlon switched to outfield when he gave up goalkeeping from HWHC and went to St. Alban's. He's actually pretty handy and had a good scoring record playing for his uni side, especially from drag flicks! http://www.hertsad.co.uk/sport/brothers-in-arms-help-st-albans-to-win-1-4428725

So it is possible for goalies to play outfield ;)

Tips wise? Hard work, listen to your team mates' feedback about where to be if in midfield/defending. Helps your team to be a utility man running 1 at corners lol.

Having the goalie's view of the pitch should give you an idea where to play positionally in your squad setup when you go outfield.

I'd go with being a striker/midfielder; you should know how to get a goalie to commit having played in that position, and not being afraid to throw yourself about out of instinct = 1 on 1 play is good, and potentially getting back to defend/last ditch tackles (but making sure they're successful!).

9. Peakey

Peakey FHF Regular Player

Try to forget the vital use your feet used to perform...

broadstone likes this.
  10. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

The most fun thing as a fieldie is being the left post on PCs. Probably because its the closest thing to GKing.