WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITIES OF AN UMPIRE?

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by johncoxon, Jun 26, 2008.

1. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

I see a lot of games from the touchline at all levels and wondered what people think are the essential qualities for the role. Having a presence and authority must be important as is good humour and a businesslike professional and friendly approach to players. I like to see very clear signals and umps explaining their decisions as play moves along. Can't expect to get it right every time but the best umpires are trusted in their judgements as I'd assume best intentions at all times. I think a lot of umps are self critical and I see them discusing various points and interpretions say at half time. I guess you need a thick skin too as I know that some players try and intimidate and argue the toss instead of accepting decisons with good grace and getting on with the game- but players that do this are in a minority and confrontations are rare in my experience. I'd guess at hugher levels it is unlikely that players know more about the rules than those who officiate as I'd guess they don't study the guide book as intensely as the pro umps. Fair , unbiased , comnsistent all seem to be pre-requisites for the role.

2. Wilster

Wilster FHF Regular Player

does anybody need to reply to that? lol

3. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

See Keely :no:

4. CoachTaff

CoachTaff FHF Legend

Some of the best qualities I think that Umpires should have are:

• To be approachable
    • To be Unbiased
    • Explain Decisions they have made if players are unsure
    • To be vocal, too many umpires hardly say a word to the players as play is going on
    • Have a sense of humour
    • Don’t show cards just for a player asking why they made that decision, unless that player always question the umpire

There are probably loads more but maybe someone can add to the list lol

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Here's what the rulebook says the main skills (not qualities) are, in the Umpiring section (pp.36-41):

Each of those skills is then further broken down. Hard to argue really, though I suspect that these weren't what you were after John.

6. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

No I found that useful and interesting. I guess these are core skills / competencies and I know that umps are asessed on such things.Don't know if that is generally known by players. Thank you.

7. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

Man management skills.
    The rapport with the players, coaches, fellow umpires; how approachable you are during or after game.

A top player once advised me from a player's point of view regarding umpire qualities that they appreciate.

- Don't be arrogant
    - If you make mistakes, remember that you are also human being

8. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

And hope that the players also remember it :)

9. lodzinski

lodzinski FHF Regular Player

When I umpire I try to be:

Approachable
    Clear and reasonably consistant in my decisions
    Willing to own up to mistakes - i usually say 'ah sorry guys' in a game 2/3 times when I should've played advantage

And I try to keep the game flowing and play advantage as much as I can, as when I'm playing I hate disjointed games.

10. "Knowing the rules" is always good lol

11. Bulsara

Bulsara FHF Regular Player

I would say knowing the rules is way down the list of what makes a top level umpire exceptional!!!