weather decisions?

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by controller, Jan 30, 2009.

1. controller

controller FHF Legend

To help new umpires and players.

With temperatures due to drop in some areas from -2 down to -6, I would like to see what comments other umpires have to say and inform others, what is the best advice you would give to a new colleague if the ground or Astro is unfit to play on.

Remember, I would like you to give a full reason for your explanation, that way other members can learn and debate what you say?

Also, would you take in consideration health and Safety for the payers and spectators or just for your own safety.

Now, on the same subject would you call off a game if it was raining so hard that you could not see the lines and water was laying on the pitch?
    Would you call a break in the game if it thunder & Lightening, if so, why?

2. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

If the pitch is frozen solid, then it's unplayable, regardless of safety - I think all players would agree with that

If it's icy, then it's dangerous for players and umpires alike.

Rain wise - if the pitch starts to flood, then yes, you'd have to call it off. It's unplayable and potentially unsafe.

Lightening - if it's direcly overhead, then yes, halt play - potentially unsafe.

Not sure how I can expand on that - it's down to player and umpire safety - nothing to do with spectators.

3. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

Well , in all the games I have covered I think only three games were abandoned and none of those because of rain and water on the pitch however bad. In these cases either the umps confer on the grounds of safety but in the games I have covered that were abandoned , in fact it was the players who made the call. Don't know if you know Urmston's home ground , Wellacre , a weird essentially sand based pitch which has no sand and yet isn't a water based pitch in terms of jets and sprinklers. the pitch had an orginal coating that was very slippery and that coating should have worn off but even today , a few years on , it is still relatively slippery.At frost , ice and snow and it gets really tricky.

One of the games was abandoned because , on the southern border of the pitch is a small copse of trees (and often the groundstaff hadn't bothered to clear the autumn leaves making it treacherous anyway) and that, i.e the trees , prevented the sun clearing / melting ice that had formed on that side of the pitch. The players were all over the place in that area of the pitch and it was quite dangerous. The game was abandoned. It happened twice.

Naturally , I feel, as an observer rather than a player , that umps run here and there but probably do not twist turn and procede at the same pace as players and they, the players generally want to have a full game but know when the surface isn't fir to play on after a ten minute spell on it . BTW , the other game got abandoned because the visiting ump was unfit to umpire as he was out of his box on alchohol.

4. Ruggy

Ruggy FHF Starter

Hi,

My primary goal and I think that it should be for others is the players safety, if the players are in danger then you are as an umpire to.

Frozen pitches are the worst, when may they thaw out etc, but if the pitch is very hard a player could break a collarbone etc when falling over.

I am intrigued about water logging and lightning? I understand the risk to cricketers with metal studs but players should not be wearing anything metal! Is this the umpires watch?

5. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

GK helmets.

(Plus I have metal in my body which I really don't want getting hit by lightning...)

6. Rutter

Rutter FHF Regular Player

In terms of lightning, NSW Hockey Association has a 45 minute ban on play from the last observed lightning bolt. Absolutely no play if any threat of lightning.

7. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

I understand, possibly wrongly. that carbon fibre; which is contained in most modern sticks is meant to attract lightning almost as much as metal. Anyway ther's normally a good amount of metal in the goals and surrounding fences.

8. Ruggy

Ruggy FHF Starter

Well I have learnt something new, sounds obvious when you have all explained it! I have never seen/played in a match which was called off for lightning but I will apply it to my umpiring from now on,

Thanks for the help!

9. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Noticed some games in Victoria recently had to be cancelled due to the weather reaching around 40+ degrees, including indoor and outdoor

I am sure each state had extreme weather conditional rules that come under the playing conditions.

Most states in AUS use 36 Degrees as the cut off point

So I suppose this is the other end of Controller questions area.

For tournament rules the TD will make the final decision based on weather temp etc but they do have a guide to follow from.

au

10. Rutter

Rutter FHF Regular Player

I've experienced both extremes having been thrown out onto a Lilleshaw ice rink late on a Friday night for Divisional training. It was ludicrous

11. kristof

kristof FHF Regular Player

Not to forget those massive lighting conductors masquerading as floodlights!

We had a game called off in summer league due to a horrendous downpour, the game simply became unplayable, players were unable to hold onto sticks the pitch became too slippery.

12. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

i called off games due to....

ice.
    snow.
    lightning.

the players safety is my number one priority.

IF the players want to play against my better judgement...they normally can do so without me.

I have told the teams during a lightning storm..."do you want to keep playing?"...they said "yes." I told em...."no problems...which one of you wants to blow the whistle, cos Im going to sit in the clubhouse till it stops."

they then decided it was a good idea to stop the game.

13. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

My colleague and I abandoned the Beeston/Bowdon EHL Prem game earlier this season after 50-odd minutes due to torrential rain and flooding. It was dangerous and not conducive to a fair game.

Yes, if the lightening and thunder were less than (about) 5 seconds apart. Why? To prevent anyone being struck by lightening and killed. It's a slim chance but would you want it in your conscience...?

14. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

The famous golfer, Lee Trevino, has been struck by lightning twice on the golf course...his davice is to hold your 1-iron above your head an proceed...."Because even God can't hit a one-iron! " lol

While it is quite unlikely you'd be struck while in a wire cage with lighting poles, it isn't worth the risk.

I was in a small house which was struck and was knocked-over by it...it was very scary!

If the pitch were not actually dangerous, I would continue to play with 'puddles'.....they make the game hilarious, if a bit of a lottery, but no worse than many of the grass/mud pitches I've played on ;)

15. Resslys Agent

Resslys Agent FHF Starter

If only in the UK

16. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Take a look at Picture 9 - Peter Briggs braved the cold to watch Loughborough Uni 1st XI versus Surbiton 1st XI in Loughborough. The game was stopped for 30 minutes because the lines were not visible.

17. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Of course there's the bushfires.. :(

18. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

The only time I have seen matches get cancelled or delayed for a while in South Africa is when it was pouring down with rain.

But since August I gave been playing hockey here in the Netherlands and at the end of November and the start of August I saw a lot of games being cancelled do to pitches being frozen and I even saw 2 weekends where matches where cancelled due to snow covered pitches! It was quiet funny for me, coming from SA where we nearly never cancel games, especially not for frozen pitches and/or snow! :p

One thing I have heard about the frozen pitches, is that except for that it is dangerous to play on, apparently because of the cold the artificial grass gets brittle and this when you play on it, it also damages the field. I could be wrong, but this is what I heard for another reason not to play when the field is semi frozen of completely frozen. Can anyone confirm this?

Regards

Sp@m

19. keely

keely FHF Legend

Sounds plausible. After all, wet hair that freezes can break off mid-strand. Yes, I do know that because I'm Canadian and have direct experience with all manner of things freezing.

20. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

In western Canada we play through almost anything - frozen pitches (which we've stopped doing lately), standing water/rain storms, high winds, you name it.

The one weather event that stopped a game I was involved with was a torando! :yes: