Watches, timing etc

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by The Doctor, Aug 19, 2008.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

Hi all,
    Compared to all the very serious topics in this section, this is quite trivial and I can't recall it being mentioned elsewhere (sorry if it has).
    I've just moved from a competition where all the fields had scoreboards and central timing, with a match manager controlling the time. As a result I've never had to worry too much about the game time. However this year I've been umpiring a lot in a comp where most of the time the umpire has to look after it.

So my question is, what kinds of watches are good for umpires? What do they use at international level?

Appreciate any advice...

2. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I've used a base grade Casio digital display wrist watch with count down timer for years, no problem.
    Plus I've never forgotten it!> :yes:

3. Will

Will FHF Regular Player

i'm obviously not an international umpire or anything but when umpiring i use a casio g shock originally purchased for timing starts in sailing.
    count down timer, that can automatically count up once the half elapses (useful for timing the break between halves), easy to access buttons, waterproof, big numbers, beeps at 5 minutes, 4, 3, 2, 1, .5 in various patterns. tells the time, international time zones, count up timer as well if u like... feature rich.

4. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

I just use my stainless steel swatch with stopwatch function. Basically any stopwatch will do, but of course watches that bleep 5 minutes before the end of the half can be usefull :)

5. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

great every four years for watching the olympics. rofl

6. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Most umpires would agree that wrist watch is much better than anything dangling round the neck. After that preferences vary for count-up, count-down, and whether any bleeping is OK or distracts players.

It's wise to have a backup for when you forget to stop time, or worse forget to retart the clock after a stoppage. I used to always write down the actual time of day at the start of each half. Now I have a countdown timer that I set going as they line up - with stoppages it usually bleeps a minute or two before playing time is up.

In the UK, best place for price and range of watches seems to be the Argos catalogue store.

You'll need to get the habit of exchanging 2 minute or 1 minute signals with your partner. And to decide who times which half, wait until after the teams have chosen ends, then the umpire near the best team's goal times the half - so play should be at the far end during the final seconds to the whistle.

7. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

I buy whatever stop-watch I can get for around $10 and replace as needed. Not very green, I admit, but if it can start/stop and has a functioning strap, it's good enough.

8. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

"And to decide who times which half, wait until after the teams have chosen ends, then the umpire near the best team's goal times the half - so play should be at the far end during the final seconds to the whistle."
    I hadn't thought of that one....I always try to say "You do the first half", as I have had a couple of 'dodgy' colleagues over the years who have 'manipulated' the final whistle time to the advantage of 'their team' :(

(Actaully one even did it when I was supposed to be keeping time...blew a minute early with her team one-up, and their opponents attacking :eek: It had been 'one of those games' :(
    I made them re-start and play the last minute...unfortunately there was no equaliser :( )

I have got one of those very large wrist count-down watches...easy to read in poor weather as I am long-sighted!)

9. EccyThump

EccyThump FHF Regular Player

Is it sad to say that this is my number one fear when umpiring? I'm not badged yet but the idea of not remembering to signal for one or two minutes to go and letting time run over because I'm caught up in the game makes me come out in a cool sweat. That's why I've only done indoor so far!

10. Bulsara

Bulsara FHF Regular Player

Due to the size of my wrists (and much to the amusement of many colleagues over the years) I actually have a bright green 'windsurfer' watch from Toys R Us! The only criteria I would have is that it has to be a wristwatch, it counts down and it doesn't make a noise. If you have a watch that makes a noise and a goal goes in when it is bleeping at your colleagues end you are in all sorts of difficulties if it is heard by the defending team.

I would also say it is years since I have signalled for time, generally we just agree that whoever gets to full time first blows, and at a tournament you can leave it to the bench anyway.

11. keely

keely FHF Legend

I use a watch that's been specifically designed for people with strict medication schedules called the ePill MeDose. What makes it so great for umpiring is that it has a vibrating alarm function, so when time is counting down, players won't be distracted by the watch going off (especially if I've pooched something up and time is centrally controlled or is supposed to be getting called by my colleague!).

Also, when using the countdown timer, it gives you warning alarms - at 3:00 to go, it vibrates (or beeps) 3 times. At 2:00 to go, vibrates twice. At 1:00 to go, vibrates once. When time is up, it vibrates 5 times. This is really handy for me so that I'm aware of the time at the critical moments of the match, and especially the 1 minute alarm when calling PCs in my end.

Bulsara - they even make it in kids' size! ;)

ET - I've screwed up time more times (HAH!) than I can count. Just like with any mistake in umpiring - you buy drinks and get over it! ;)

12. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

Casio RFT-100 referee's watch , with count down, pre-set half timings, multiple interval timings and all sorts of other goodies. It can be set to vibrate instead of ring. Waterproof

Just be careful which of the 4 buttons you press or you will have a heart attack as the watch changes mode and shows you the time in Paris instead!
    Can be picked up in the UK for as little as 22 pounds sterling (in my case, earlier this year) .

13. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

The most confusing mistake I've made was, after replacing the battery, I inadvertently set the countdown timer to 35 HOURS :eek:
    Imagine my confusion when, after a few mins play I glanced down to see it apparently working but Time Remaining was still only 34 (and 'change') ..... with play continuing, I figgered what I'd done and calculated the reading I had to play to (34:25:00?)...and on we went, until half-time lol

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

I like the pre-set countdown timers, that's pretty cool not to have to reprogram every time you go from a standard match to say, a rec league game (in my parts, 30min. halves) or indoor (again in my parts, 25 min. halves). Definitely needs to have a 7.5min. preset - that would definitely sell it for me. :)

Ballingdon, does it have alarms during the countdown like my watch has?

15. garli

garli FHF Staff

Well, I know I'm only a goalie, but I go nuts when I don't know how much time is left, so I go with the timer on my timex ironman triathlon watch. But I don't let it inspire me to train for an ironman.

16. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Always wondered what that vibration I felt was..... :eek:oh:

17. keely

keely FHF Legend

Well, would you look at that? Mr. Invisible rises from obscurity! Glad we could entice you back with the opportunity for innuendo. :p

18. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

Thanks for all the advice. So, 22 pounds? Thats like 4 million Australian dollars right lol

19. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Just think how many Zimbabwe dollars.... :(

20. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Yep, have one too. recommended & the digits are a good size as well.