Using Placement shots Versus Power hits

Discussion in 'Articles' started by steve, Apr 22, 2006.

1. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    A common error that players make in the attacking circle is to think that they need to get the ball moving as hard as possible towards the goal. Power is useful in many instances, but placement of the ball in a particular part of the goal is always critical. The speed with which you get the shot away (as opposed to the speed of the ball) is also important. A powerful shot wide of the goal might earn a gasp from the crowd, but it won’t require a save from the goalkeeper, and so it won’t earn your fellow forwards a second chance at a shot on goal through a rebound or a tip in after a sloppy save from the goalkeeper. Remember also that although the D is a busy and congested area, sometimes you have more time than you think to prepare. In many instances you can make certain of the quality of the shot on goal rather than rushing your shot execution and hoping for the best. Get the goal shot away quickly if you need to, but take time if you have it to get your technique right. In this way you give yourself the best possible chance of scoring. If you get the ball moving towards goal, anything can happen. A shot on target (regardless of its power) means that the keeper will need to make a save. That can bring about a costly defensive error and create a rebound opportunity if not a goal. So, next time you will be swinging the stick for your almighty hit think about it!

2. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

It also helps to have young players practice shortening their grip, that is instead of sliding your bottom hand up the stick, slide your top hand down. This way you can keep the stick as close as possible to the ball therefore having a better chance of getting a shot away.

3. joe cole

joe cole FHF Regular Player

I find with some of the people at our club that desire to do a massive swing and have the ball taken away from them every time. They can get away with it at the low level theyre playing though, cos the defence are pretty poor.

I played sweeper in a club mixed friendly, easiest thing I've ever done, wait for them to swing and then steal the ball.

Theres also an obsession to try and reverse stick it every time. I actually know a player who now positions it so he can reverse it rather than take the shot on his right side.

I still think its best to just do a slap shot into the corner.

JC

4. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Short hand grip - I'll have to write something about it soon then!

5. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

A 'simple' push on target is even good enough to cause problem to the opponent's defense.
    I have a clip on a very 'harmless' push that created a goal. It literally went out of nothing.

How to attach them Steve?

I just couldn't get it attached despite all the available icons above :-[

6. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    When you are in the posting page you have a link called "Additional Options" just under the textbox area. You have to press that one and voila! you have to press Browse... to find desired file

7. Mo79

Mo79 FHF Staff

Getting shots on target is imperative.
    However,there are occassions,when you dont have the angle,in the d,for a shot on target.But there are other options:

* Hit the pro-side (ie far post space) for a deflection.Keepers will generally cover the near post(and so they should, to cover the line of the ball).
    * How big are defenders feet?eg The Germans,the Dutch-I bet were looking at b/w size 9-12.Find a foot.We love pc's.Of course,there is no point in winning pc's if your battery execution is poor.
    * Manufacture stick contact.Strictly speaking,not legal.Seldom do players get blown for shielding(players have gotten better at disguising it).That lovely noise you hear when sticks make contact-umpires respond.Sometimes it is a legit tackle but Noise tends to=pc to them.

8. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

this might sound dumb to some people but ill say it anyway. there is no better feeling then when you hit a shot that catches the keeper on some unprotected part of his body (not genitals though, thats cruel) and you make him bruise. moral of the story is more goals are scored of rebounds, put you shots in the air so the keepers cant kick them away first time and put people on the posts the gather the scraps. not as much glory, but more consistent.

also when people are trying to use to much power try making them get lower in their shots, tends to reduce the swing length of most people

9. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Only read this for amusement but I may as well give you the other side.

As a keeper I like hard hopeful shots. All I have to do is get something on them and the rebound on my kit will make the clearance for me. The tricky ones are the little hopeful dinks that I have to move towards (and thus bring me out of the ready position) and actively clear. If you have time and space these are also not too difficult, but if, as nerd suggested, you get people on the posts that robs the keeper of both of these luxuries.

On another forum it was commented on that keepers playing outfield tend to score. Personally I put this down to the fact that as they are less inclinded to do the running around thing so they hang around the oppos D. Thus they are in a good position to pick up the scraps of forced errors by the keeper. Well that's how I get mine ;D

As for taking pleasure out of deliberaely injuring another player.... well I hope the keepers you face view taking you out in the same way. Personally I don't mind the ball hitting me, bruises mean saves, maybe you should try missing the keeper sometime, scoring is a better feeling.

10. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

While not fully agreeing with nerd_is_the_word you can always tell when a ball hits an unprotected part of the body due to its lack of rebound hence easier crumbs to be picked up. Also for some unknown reason field players do secretly enjoy causing the GK pain albeit not serious pain. When I was younger I used to wear my bruises with pride.

Placement is the key if you want crumbs/rebounds you have to place the ball at the keeper. You need to force the keeper to be reactive and not proactive. If the GK is proactive he will be able to use his kit to clear the ball with control, placement and power. Alternatively a reactive GK hasn’t got the time to think about where the rebound is going.

11. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

Too bad,

the file is too large :-[

12. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Guest

Just get the shots on-target. No matter if the shots are hard or weak
    Goalies can't catch them as in Soccer or Ice Hockey

Capitalise on:
    Goalies or Defenders Mistakes (leading to goal)
    Rebounds for other forwards to make full use
    Rebounds that will lead to PC

It's just too bad the emphasise on short hand grip has grown less these days. It is such a usefull skill to be applied especially when it comes to tight scoring situation.

13. Rossco

Rossco FHF Top Player

Plenty is written on the England Hockey website in their Core Skills document for coaches.

Just visit www.englandhockey.co.uk and visit the Download section.

If fact, the direct link is http://www.englandhockey.co.uk/core_files/fileDownload(356).pdf

Hope it helps both players and coaches alike.

Edited to make the link functional by Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

14. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

Magpie needs to weigh into this one again I think.
    The most painfull thing for any keeper worth the title is the sound of the ball hitting the backboards!!
    Any shot that is between the uprights and under the crossbar has a chance of scoring.

Given a choice of forwards I want young ones with strong arms and weak brains cause they just blaze away and make me look good!

There is a guy I play against whose age is lost in time (over 75!!) who consistantly scores against me (once each time the last two games). His shots are just an inch too wide or go where I've just come from or between my legs 'cause I'm moving. (Skinny little dweeb too, must remember to dismember him next time we play). He consistantly makes me look like a goose because he outwits me not outhits me. THERE IS A LESSON THERE FOR YOUNG GUYS I THINK.

ANIMAL

15. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

As a keeper there is nothing that brings you down more than a ball that rattles the backboards, as any GK worth his salt should be able to save a ball that is not higher than 18".

I have played with some people that have placement as well as power, low, very hard and very wide and always score (the type that hit a ball on a PC with enough force that it goes over your pads and drops to almost the bottom of the backboard). Animal is right in saying that young fowards that are more interested in scoring spectacular goals are easier prey than people who think about where they want to put the ball. These people think about where the GK is are they moving are they off balance etc.

Power has its place, especially when doing a snap shot but if time permits think about what the GK is doing not about smashing it THROUGH the GK.

16. hockeystore

hockeystore FHF Starter

i just think this depends on how good you and your opposition are..no point try playing placement shots when you cant do them or you have a goalie that has very quick reflexes. being a keeper myself i would hate it if an attacker can look for my weaknesses, ie, im left footed which makes my right foot naturally slower than my left and less flexible.. sometimes its too close to see the power shots ;)

17. hun

hun FHF Newbie

with a power shot the keeper only has to put their body behind the ball to 'deflect' the shot to safety.

if, however, you place your shot and don't hit it as hard, the keeper has to think about what to do next, which will give your attackers more time to play the rebound.

having said that, there is always a time to use the power shot. the trick is to read the game and 'sus out' the keeper. ???

18. Dyl

Dyl FHF Regular Player

No-one seems to have mentioned this:

Why not adding power to placement shots?

One of the easiest things to do to improve placement is not hitting across the line of the ball. I.e. if your moving/running with the ball then try not to shoot the ball in the opposite direction to which you are moving with it.

Look for the final touch before you shoot to be going in the direction you wish to hit. So if your aiming far post the last touch before the shot should be in that direction also.

This really increases your chances of hitting accurately so then you can work on adding the power without compromising accuracy.

Strength is not as important to power than timing is; you should be looking to hit the ball sweetly not wind up and use brute force to belt the ball out of its casing, your body will work against you if you do this.
    The power of hitting is all in the legs and torso not in the arms, get low, transfer your weight forward through the direction of the shot, when you get low you will almost naturally use a shorther grip, this Will increase the speed of the release of the shot which is important in tight.
    To get that increased little bit of power cock your wrist through the end of the hitting motion to increase the speed at which the head of the stick is travelling at when it meets the ball, again this is all timing not brute force or big windups, its quite the opposite.

As a side note you should always think "shoot low far post" first because if you miss wide, the help-side striker should be on the far post looking for a deflection/tip-in goal.

19. amb217

amb217 FHF Starter

My opinion is ~75% Power, aim for placement of the shot because if you hit the ball cleanly without trying to knock the leather off it, you will probably hit it harder as a result of a clean strike.

Our Coach last season got us all to take 16 and aim to score in the opposite goal! very few people choose to hit the ball and only 3-4 out of about 20 actually scored! He then stepped up (with a torn hamstring) and hit it straight in no problem...

any coaches, try it see how many people actually score and what methods they use (push slap hit etc...)