Unbranded sticks

Discussion in '2008 Beijing Olympics' started by nerd_is_the_word, Aug 14, 2008.

1. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Last night watching the NED vs GBR mens game i noticed a few of the NED guys including TdN using white sticks with orange head that had no branding on them. I also saw on the worldhockey olympics page their is a photo of one of the chinese using the stick as well.

My first thought was that it was those princess stick that everybody had talked about, just without any branding on them because of the whole controvery over whether princess was a hockey brand. But then i saw Weusthof using a silver princess stick that was branded??? Can anybody shed some light on the subject?

2. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

There is a new orange princess stick out, that TDN Van de Horst etc are using. Now why it doesn't have princess on I have no idea. Unless Weusthof is just using his and not caring for the ruling ?

Also slight tangent but did Tempest get clearance to use their sticks or did the players using them just ignore what the IOC said?

3. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Weusthof....

[​IMG]

Teun....

[​IMG]

Didn't see a photo of tempest so far

4. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

According to this article in a dutch (web)paper, Princess did manage to get a clearance so are allowed as a brand, because they now have a complete hockey-specific range (shoes, stickbags, ...) so they are regarded as a 'sport brand' instead of ... well an appliance-brand :). Or at least that's what the article says.

5. Porter

Porter FHF Top Player

Tempest sticks are being used in Beijing, but with the logos (number and size) adjusted to comply with IOC advertising rules for the Olympic Games.

6. toolfreak

toolfreak FHF Regular Player

Did adidas not end up getting theres cleared or something? i noticed jamie dwyer was using some weird one lol

7. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

No they definitely did, just look at some of the German and Spanish players. I reckon you can achieve more in these matters when you are the main sponsor of the event ;) lol

8. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

the one jamie is using is next years model. looks almost the same from teh back as the one chris zeller is using

9. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

London 2012 , McDonalds and Coca Cola sticks ! lol

10. Ridgester

Ridgester FHF Regular Player

it almost looks like he is using the signature model stick. it has an orange head and a white shaft. he put stick stop on it by the looks of it.

11. Rutter

Rutter FHF Regular Player

....and Burberry tracksuits