Management & Communication Umpiring with Microphones

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by LowerO, Oct 28, 2012.

1. VincentOhio

VincentOhio FHF Starter

I used the Yapalong and Vokkero's this weekend.. Clarity was much better on the Vokkero sets, but with that said.. I had no issue with either set this weekend. Just seem like a bit of hiss or cavernous sound on the Yapalongs.. I very much enjoy using radios, being introduced to them last year.

Now, question... is there etiquette to using them??? My partner was a chatterbox!

2. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Vincent, back somewhere in the middle there was a bit of discussion about how much they should be used.

A few different opinions but the general concensus was a few points:

a) It depends somewhat on how comfortable the two umpires are with other, obviously if you are more comfortable with each other then you will both probably know exaclty when the other umpire will want to hear your voice.

b) Make sure it is discussed in your pre-game chat, make it clear if you are happy to hear "foot" every 3 seconds or whether you basically want them to leave you alone when you are concenntrating in the D.

c) the main point of the microphones is that the other umpire can hear what you are saying to the players, not for general chit-chat.

d) They are extremely useful for quick questions ("did he kick that?", "was that shot on target?" etc.) but this requires good communication.

e) Make sure that you are still using signals to show the teams and crowd that you are working as a team. Some umpires prefer to say something like "I have a signal for you" and then signal when they look, others prefer to say what they saw and then signal as well for backup.

Overall if your co-umpire is talking about more than you wish them to, make sure that you let them know, if they are talking and it is breaking your concentration then that is worse than the position we were in with no microphones.

3. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

Re your option b) @nerd_is_the_word "foot" is absolutely worthless as it requires further qualification most of the time.

"Blue foot" gives me all I need to make the decision but "penalty corner - blue foot" needs even less processing before the whistle can be blown (or not, if I'm playing advantage).

The best anecdote I ever heard was from a fellow level three umpire whose colleague was shouting "foot, foot, foot" in his ear. "Which one?" He asked. "Left" came the reply. Priceless!

Paul Watts likes this.
  4. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

The problem is that the Vokkeros are two or three times the price of the Yapalongs (which I sell in the USA). Also, Yapalongs seems easier to pair and have a universal headset/mic port.

You might have said, "Quite please."

Basically, the standard applies as in umpiring without radios. If I have a question, I'll let you know. You should also conduct yourself as though the audio is being broadcast to everyone on the planet.

5. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

It seems that Jabra Wave headsets are quite hard to get these days, and I'm starting to see umpires using the 'Secret Service' style with a transparent sound tube to the ear.

Does anyone have a link to supplies, and experience with using them with the Umpire Talk units supplied to many UK umpires? Or maybe there are even better alternatives to the supplied headsets?

6. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

I've used tubes ("Secret Service") with Yapalongs and that's when I got the aforementioned cavernous sound. I prefer the wired (as opposed to "tubed") connection between my ear and the radio.

7. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

I'm using tubes and think they're great. They work fine with UT radios if you have the right adapter and also the BT ones if you use one of the jabra adapters.

I've got kits made up and ready to go at £15. Message me if you're interested.

If you want to DIY then just find one on ebay (usually about a tenner) and then search for a 'Y splitter' (usually a couple of quid) and bobs your uncle.

8. NorthUmpire

NorthUmpire FHF Newbie

After struggling with the standard UmpireTalk earpiece for a couple of seasons and with Jabra being hard to get at the time, I have invested in a fitted earpiece from AudioFit that uses a Nanocom "speaker and boom". Perfect fit, no movement, no tape, great clarity!

9. Mark Hansford

Mark Hansford FHF Top Player

10. NorthUmpire

NorthUmpire FHF Newbie

11. Mumblesquiff

Mumblesquiff FHF Newbie

Hi guys, for those wanting to diy / replace or update the jabra wave corded and using the bt interphone system which is used a fair bit in the uk then you need a 'ctia to ompt adaptor' which you can get for a couple of quid on ebay. Once you have the adaptor, then pretty much ANY 3.5mm headset will work for you. Hope this helps.

careeman likes this.
  12. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

13. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Had a couple of colleagues recently who were missing the wind shield on their Jabras. One was on a very windy Sunday and I could only get meaningful communication when his head was blocking the wind.
    I suggest everyone either secures the windshield on their headset or carries a spare. Otherwise there might be little point in using them.

14. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

And tape them on, they have a nasty habit of coming off and vanishing, I got through a pack of 6 in one season

Ravennghorde likes this.
  15. george

george FHF Starter

I use a small zip tie to hold mine on. Mine hasn't come off, although it does get rubbed away in transit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

16. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

The air tube / secret service style ones also benefit from a foam windsock.

However because the microphone clips to the collar / lapel of the shirt it can be positioned to given some protection from the shirt itself.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  17. Diligent

FHF Moderator

... but while the lapel microphone can be sheltered from the wind, it can be exposed to fabric noise. You get used to it.

On my Jabras, I got the needle and thread out and sewed a 'draw string' around the opening - that's held them on very well for 3 years now.

18. Luke Jeffery

Luke Jeffery FHF Newbie

I am looking to purchase 10 headsets for my club. Currently using the by bike units that work great. Had an increase of umpires wanting their own headset. I use the words have a wave but can no longer by these. What are other using or anyone know where I can get some?

19. Diligent

FHF Moderator

I'm guessing you mean the Jabra Wave Wired headset. That's been discontinued a year or two now, and remaining stocks are gone or over-priced. Shame, because they were effective, and reliable - I've had mine for 5 years now.

A lot of people are using the 'Secret Service' types with a sound-tube to the ear, and a lapel microphone. I have not used them myself, but observe that the microphone picks up more noises off than umpire talk, and there can be a lot of rustle from clothing.

20. Luke Jeffery

Luke Jeffery FHF Newbie

Yes I do. Darn phone. I know have searched high and low for the. But as you say no longer do them. I have also used that style but as you said not as effective as the jabra.