Management & Communication Umpiring with Microphones

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by LowerO, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Actually the UK distance selling laws cover this, when buying through ebay, if you use the "buy it now" (crucially not if you bid as that's classed as second hand) then you have the same statutory rights as buying from a shop. A reputable selling company that uses ebay will not want bad feedback and will work to resolve the issue.

2. Bertybob

Bertybob FHF Top Player

And if you use your credit card you have the charge back option, if they go pop early on.

So far so good with clubs BT Interphone and Jabra combo.

3. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

As Trig says the 2 systems aren't compatible but either can be paired with other devices of the same make. I have often connected one of my Interphones to one of someone else's and then just repaired my set when finished.

4. Gingerbread

Just remember as they're under £100 and typically paid for by paypal you can't use the S75 protection

5. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

In the USA I sell the Yapalong radios. Much more expensive that the BT's. Much less expensive than the Vokkero's. You can get headsets with open or PTT mics. The mics come with windscreens (which one can buy for existing systems from outlets such as Amazon). Yapalongs are good for tournaments because you can have an unlimited number of listeners. The communications is digital, secure, encrypted -- so no bardging. Batteries last 8 hours though I like a fresh charge before each game. They start to weaken after 5 games.

My site (USA): www.BolsterSports.com

Europe: http://www.mckayeurope.com/45-yapalong-full-duplex-communication-system

6. john Williams

john Williams FHF Starter

Thanks Jerry :)

7. Bertybob

Bertybob FHF Top Player

Chargeback is independent of S75 and can be used below £100, however you are right a PayPal transaction would not work as the transaction is between visa / MasterCard and PayPal and not the retailer.

Amazon would work though.

I've seen the BT Interphone on Amazon for around £60.

8. Gingerbread

S75 only covers purchases £100-£30,000 anyway so even if it did work on ebay it wouldn't be valid. The chargeback would be the only possibility (ebay/paypal does suggest you can do it on those sorts of transactions though) and it can be a faff with the card company to raise a dispute especially if you don't give the seller chance to rectify it.

9. SportBilly44

SportBilly44 FHF Top Player

Any update on mini-usb options for headsets? Have been given some BT interphones but they are the "new" ones with mini-usb connection, so pretty useless, but was hoping to use them for Club umpires.

10. MikeyBobs

MikeyBobs FHF Top Player

Hi,
    For some mad reason, I've taken to testing radio coms by quoting the immortal Mr Morecombe: "2-4-6-8: who do we appreciate? L-U-T-O-N ..... Preston!"

BUT .... not one of my colleagues knows the quote/joke .... several have denied this was ever an Eric Morecombe gag (I've tried to find it on the web and so far failed).... some (I shudder to report this) don't know who Morecombe and Wise are!!!!!!! ..... For the former reason, I am now (slightly) doubting my sanity!!

Am I that old that none of my colleagues remember Morecombe and Wise? And am I indeed making up Eric Morecombe jokes? Should I worry? Shall I continue doing this next Saturday .....?

(Answers on a post card!) .... But you know already I WILL!!

11. Rob S

Rob S FHF Top Player

12. crhallows

crhallows FHF Newbie

For anyone who is interested, it is now possible to add a third radio to the current version of BT radios supplied by MCI2 such that all three radios can talk and listen to each other at the same time. These are a different model and can be purchased as an add-on if you already have a set of the current BT radios so you would not need to ditch your current set.

There is some work to do to limit the third set to 'listen' only - at the moment, a Plantronics earpiece seems to do the trick but does generate a slight hum for the third set.

I can also confirm that Jabra have indeed ceased production of the Wave wired headset and have no intention of bringing it back into production, despite many requests ! It seems that worldwide stocks are almost nil, hence the inflated prices being seen on Amazon and other such sites. There are some "acoustic air tube" earpieces that are a good alternative - less Star Trek and more CIA, but are comfortable to wear (once you sort out where you clip them on), provide good sound and don't suffer from excessive wind noise. They also have the advantage of being slightly cheaper than the Jabra Waves so expect this to be reflected in MCI2's costs ! The acoustic air tube earpieces can also be connected to the UmpireTalk radios with a connection that splits the 4-pole 3.5mm plug to separate mic and earpice connections to fit - these are available from MCI2 also.

careeman likes this.
  13. Gingerbread

The original BT ones were designed for 4/6 connected devices anyway :)

Ebay does seem to have some of the Jabra Wave if you are ok to pay/await shipment from the US but the Jabra C510 is a possible alternative or the Sennheiser PC 121 which is a bit more expensive

14. crhallows

crhallows FHF Newbie

There are a few available. I have seen the C510 used although was not particularly impressed by the fit or sound quality and when I tried to buy one off Ebay it arrived with a 2.5mm plug (so useless !). Have not tried the Sennheiser but they tend to be pretty good quality if a little expensive. .

15. Gingerbread

Yes I saw a few reviews on Amazon about the C510 not being as good (you can get 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters though - ironically the Jabra Wave comes with them :) )

I will try the Sennheiser if nothing else seems suitable as and when the Wave fails

16. ref_men

ref_men FHF Newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will it work?

17. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

@ref_men That will work with the Yapalongs. I recommend, however, a two-jack connection as it would be more secure during umpiring than a one-jack connection.

18. john Williams

john Williams FHF Starter

Can someone give me a link where I can buy 3 sets. We are based in Malta, and we would like to start having such helpful tools.

Would appreciate any good places to buy from

19. ref_men

ref_men FHF Newbie

I saw this site

https://www.axiwi.com/

I asked the price but it is a very expensive solution! Each headset costs 150 € + VAT when bought BT Interphone for 120 €!!

20. ref_men

ref_men FHF Newbie

I've been thinking and I will try to adapt the headsets that came with BT Interphone.

It should be more or less easy. I opened it and saw using an electronic card to join the wires all. Are only 6 wires, 2 mic, 2 of ascultadores and 2 connecting the jack.

Maybe cutting headphones, because they are for use with helmet and welding each ear headphones can prepare the set!

I will give news!