Management & Communication Umpiring with Microphones

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by LowerO, Oct 28, 2012.

1. noates

noates FHF Legend

That is really strange for a corded microphone.

Never had any issues with mine. Sometimes get a little buzz which is the BT units not connecting perfectly but nothing major.

2. george

george FHF Starter

I think the variability stems from the interconnect from 3.5 to 2.5, and potentially storage issue impacting the integrity of the cable internals.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

3. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

Agree, but would add that I get it on 3.5 - 2.5 on the Umpire Talks and 3.5 - 3.5 on BT Interphones. It even occurred on a brand new one out the packet the other week which prompted me to send my radio back. Borrowed a mates radio, same problem, even with the brand new headset and adapter.
    I am fastidious about kit storage so consider that I really look after my gear. Don't know what the problem is but just running out of patience and trust hence why trying alternatives.

george likes this.
  4. KSpider

KSpider FHF Newbie

First time poster here, been reading this entire thread (or most of it) with interest in making a intercom purchase for use here in California.

Has anyone had the opportunity to test out the Sena BT10-01 units?
    I am thinking of pairing two of those with Jabra Waves based on what I can tell decent reviews from you all on the Jabra Wave.

5. Rob S

Rob S FHF Top Player

Help.

I'm just looking into what's available and the BT 2 X 1000m set, I think was suggested by @Gingerbread, I located on eBay for £50.89 e.g. -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-1000M...et-/391324956798?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
    has a USB micro connection for the headset, but the Jabra corded set I found at
    http://www.jabra.co.uk/Support/Product-identifier#{"Product Type":"WiredHeadset|WirelessHeadset"}&{"Product Type":"WiredHeadset"}&{"Listening Mode":"One ear","Receive sound":"Mono"}&{"Connectivity":"USB"}
    has a normal USB connection.

Other Jabra set on eBay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Jabra...468942?hash=item35f5c312ce:g:doYAAOSwI-BWI60k

Has an 'old' style 3.5mm plug which again does not look to be the one to work with the BT set located?

Can anyone advise if I need an old style Jabra (note these look to be going out PDQ as mentioned by @Nic Oliver) , which BT interphone system I need and which Jabra works with them?

I'm also assuming, I know; it's wrong to assume, but... will I have a button to PTT or do they just allow two way comms ?

Rob S

6. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

You need one of the older style ones for the 3.5mm jack headset or a compatible micro USB mic. The old style with the 3.5mm jack is 2 way chat, I'd assume the new one is too as they are designed for motorbikes and push to talk would be dangerous

These are the ones with the 3.5mm jack that works with the jabra wave. I wouldn't worry about the Jabra Wave stocks, sites like ebay have stuff like that for years after it's supposed to be obsolete

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-1000M-...ycle-Helmet-Headset-6-Riders-UK-/261901110980

7. KSpider

KSpider FHF Newbie

FYI: I returned the SENA BT10-01 units. With no line of site, they worked maybe 40 yards away. With line of site, maybe 50-60 yards. Outside that it was virtually worthless. Are you guys getting adequate (100+yard) without line of site range from these other BT interphone sets you have been using??

I ended up just ordering a pair of Yapalongs, they deliver tomorrow.

8. john Williams

john Williams FHF Starter

Hello,

So 20 pages is quite a lot. I am looking for some sort of umpire headphone systems. I saw so many comments on BT / JABRA Wave etc.

But can anyone give me a good site, in which I can get these for our umpirers in Malta.

Thanks

9. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

If you want cheap and reliable go on ebay for the BT Interphone motorbike system (hopefully you can find an EU shipper).

Jabra Wave is the corded earpiece / microphone that is better than the generic boom mic that you get with the BT system

10. Jersey Jerry

Jersey Jerry FHF Legend

Hi John

the short stuff is that you can buy a pair of radios from UmpireTalk (easy to internet) for under £300. I've been using them for a year or so and no-one, not one single person, has got anything but praise for them.

You can DIY it with the BT/Jabra bits but there's little recourse if it goes wrong.

PS love Malta

11. johnreiss

johnreiss FHF Top Player

I too am looking for a cheap £60-£100 PTT set. The 'official' NPUA ones are too expensive for the level of hockey I umpire. If I can get some cheaper ones, I intend to 'give' them to the club to use in the hope they will be encouraged to buy a further set of their own and to try and convince them they are not just a gimmick.

I know this was touched on some time ago but if someone could tell where to go or an internet website, I would be eternally grateful.

12. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

To summarise 20 pages for the latecomers, try this (UK based people only)

1. Umpire Talk = circa £300 for a pair - full duplex and other fancy channel hopping technology. Poor boom headsets (comfort), easily compatible with other units. In house support centre for advice and guarantee repairs.

2. BT Interphones = circa £60 for a pair - Available from eBay full duplex and some noise cancelling technology. No compatible headset in pack as designed for motorcycle helmet use so alternative needed. Bluetooth technology but ONLY buy if they have 3.5mm headphone jacks as USB options very limited or non existent.
    No support and / or real guarantee.
    MCI2 sell full kits for circa £130 (don't quote me on that price)

Jabra Wave Corded Headsets - are the headset of choice as they are compact and cheap. But.............
    Unfortunately it seems Jabra have stopped manufacturing these so any remaining Amazon (etc) stock is currently about £50. Jury is still out on suitable replacements.

Advice (as far as I can remember)
    Spend as much as you can afford for better quality
    Other units may work but AVOID PTT (push to talk) as it is useless for umpiring purposes. Buy duplex units or you will be disappointed.
    Volkerro and other makes may be available form t'internet but will cost about the same as Umpire Talk.
    Radios are great, everyone seems to like them.
    Stop debating and start paying!!

:):D;):D:)

13. shipstontkd

shipstontkd FHF Top Player

@johnreiss the above post from @careeman pretty much sums up the thread in terms of what to buy. I have been using the BT interphones for a couple of seasons now and they are fine. However if you can afford to go to the Umpire Talk ones then do so.
    I purchased the bt ones from MCI2 - http://mci2.co.uk/ and they are indeed £135 (not sure on delivery though)

14. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

So will your BT Interfone work with my Umpiretalk?

15. shipstontkd

I'll pass on that one:( Not sure if they are on the same frequency or if indeed they will pair with each other

16. Ravennghorde

A lot of the umpires who take more senior games in my association are issued with 1 radio (Umpiretalk). So good to be compatible with them.

17. shipstontkd

I think the best course to take then is to go for the Umpire Talk, at least you will be assured of compatibility.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  18. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

No they won't work together.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  19. Ravennghorde

I did. Collected a set on Saturday.

I raised it as a consideration when making a choice.

shipstontkd likes this.
  20. shipstontkd

And thus opens up a world of infinite possibilities:p

I didn't think they would but thought better of stating an unsubstantiated fact ;)