Management & Communication Umpiring with Microphones

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by LowerO, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MuppetUmp

MuppetUmp FHF Legend

Left ear or right ear?

2. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Left so I can ignore the bench - also as your position is to the left of play it means you can hear better what is going on in front of you

3. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

I think it comes down to personal choice and comfort. I've tried both ears (not at the same time;)) and now wear mine in my right ear because it feels more comfortable.

There are some arguments about play being here or there and bench locations etc but it is more important it doesn't become a distraction or hindrance.

Paul Watts and george like this.
  4. seal

seal FHF Legend

I tried right ear, but felt very disconnected from the game, so its left ear. Has the added benefit of not being able to hear the bench.

Stuart Burnside likes this.
  5. MuppetUmp

MuppetUmp FHF Legend

I wonder if people have a dominant ear like they might have a dominant hand or eye.

6. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

... and if they have a dominant ear, whether they decide to wear the earpiece to hear the sound of the game or the sound of the colleague.

Me: I'm right handed, so I suppose right eared. My earpiece goes on the left.

Paul Watts likes this.
  7. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Had a headset for the first time today. Took the first half to get adjusted to using it as I normally mutter away to myself so had to suppress that. By the second half we were communicating freely and can't wait to the next time.

8. Nic Oliver

Nic Oliver FHF Star Player

For those who like the Jabra Wave, I have been told that they're discontinuing the model. Might be worth buying any spares you need before they disappear completely!

noates likes this.
  9. Bertybob

Bertybob FHF Top Player

Does anyone know if with the BT interphone you can pair a Bluetooth earpiece to use instead of a corded headset?

10. Nic Oliver

Nic Oliver FHF Star Player

I'm awaiting a reply from Charles Hallows and that's one of my questions for him

I suspect not as each device seems to only be able to pair with one other at a time but I wll get conformation for you.

Bertybob likes this.
  11. Ravennghorde

Having been introduced to radios 3 weeks ago and having used them twice I've ordered a set of Umpire Talks. Definitely a must have if you're not issued with them..

12. Andy W

Andy W FHF Starter

Umpired with microphones yesterday for first time

Loved it made communication so much easier. Going to county hockey association to see if they want me to trial it - lol

Does anyone have rough costs

Ravennghorde likes this.
  13. Ravennghorde

I've just ordered a set of umpire talks via the association for £212. Not yet received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Gingerbread

You can get the BT Interphone motorcycle ones for about £60 quid on ebay as a pair, add on about £20 for a pair of jabra wave headsets and maybe couple of quid for spare boom covers etc - the umpire talk ones are nice but expensive and if you take appointed games at a high level your county may well supply them. For personal use don't bother with UT unless you have cash to burn as they're not that much better (I have used both and don't really see any difference - the BT ones are smaller and lighter and I actually prefer them to the bulky UT ones)

shipstontkd likes this.
  15. shipstontkd

shipstontkd FHF Top Player

Absolutely agree, I have been using the BT ones for a couple of seasons and they are a very good and inexpensive radio. I did have a problem with the Jabra headset as I have very small ear canals :oops: but have adapted a small in ear phone headset and that seems to do the job just as well.

16. Craighind

Craighind FHF Newbie

Hi Guys have you had a look at the Yapalong system, its full duplex up to 8 users and designed and made exactly for this purpose no messing about with bits of this and that to make them work
    www.yapalong.co.uk

UmpireHockey.com likes this.
  17. noates

noates FHF Legend

Yes. The issue is the price. Most of us who have or are interested in BlueTooth radios have a budget of less than £100. My system, which is still working perfectly after a couple of seasons cost £70 all in.

The Yapalong system is a very professional piece of kit and has a commensurate professional price tag starting at £325 for 2 units. It is probably something that county/regional/national organisations may look at, but not at individual/local club level.

It also has boom mikes and double pronged connectors, similar to what you used to get on airline seats, which makes integrating with lighter mike units that many umpires seem to prefer like the Jabra Wave a little more difficult.

18. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

I've just bought 4 sets of these 'airtube' headsets. I like the Jabra's but mine are temperamental at best, only working with certain adapter / radio combinations. Also at £16 each they're fairly pricey and so if you can wait the 2 weeks for delivery from China these are a steal at £2.36 each! They still need an adapter but the ones that came with the Jabra's work fine.

Overall Review after my first use on Saturday with a set of BT Interphone V1200;
    Sound quality is good. I think they are slightly quieter overall than the Jabras but with the volume up high they were more than adequate on what was a very pleasant day weather wise.
    They are a little more cumbersome than the Jabras as they have a second clip for the earpiece which was hard to locate comfortably (for me anyway). I eventually clipped this to the inside shoulder of my shirt and used a bit of tape to stick the tube to my neck. I used no tape on the earpiece as it fitted very snuggly.
    I’m going to look for some kind of ‘wind sock’ for the mic. I expect I’ll have to adapt something slightly but if I can get a big enough foam bud then I should be able to split it and glue it around the clip that is located on the mic itself.
    Summary, a good alternative but will take some getting used to due to the second wire and clip. Good value for money at the price I paid though!.

If you're interested I got mine from here.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surveilla...35170295&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Attached Files:

19. Gingerbread

20. george

george FHF Starter

These look good value, and worth a punt. I've been starting to become dubious over the Jabra wave recently. Sometimes inconsistent connection quality.

Have ordered a set, and will see how it goes.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk