Management & Communication Umpiring with Microphones

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by LowerO, Oct 28, 2012.

1. LowerO

LowerO FHF Starter

Turned up to umpire a round 1 EHA ladies cup match for my club today, and a friend who umpires national league asked if we'd (both umpires) like to borrow his mikes for the match. I laughed and said we weren't pros and it would be a bit of a gimmick, but 'what the hell let's give it a try'...

It took a few minutes to get used to the fact I could hear my colleague (who I've umpired with on a number of occasions) but I was soon loving the tech! I can honestly say it was a brilliant experience and assisted in the umpiring decisions and the banter between us both. It also made me feel much more part of the team.

After the match we were all chatting about the experience, and we're now going to approach our club to suggest that they buy a set of mikes (£120) to allow the home umpires to use every week (we have to supply all umpires for all home games other than Men's 1). We believe that connecting the umpires would allow some of the less experienced/confident umpires to blow in games with a more experienced colleague.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts - not a gimmick (although we did get a few funny comments from some of the players and spectators before the start) but an excellent tool to assist the officials and foster a greater team experience.

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Totally agree, LowerO. I've got a set of headphones and mics to use this season and it makes umpiring far more enjoyable.

3. Ridge

Ridge FHF Star Player

It is an absolute joy to use them. Like you said, LowerO, you feel much more connected with your partner.

4. alex.miles

alex.miles FHF Star Player

Am I still in the Umpiring Corner? ;)

5. hockey-nut48

hockey-nut48 FHF Newbie

I also had the opportunity to use mikes for the first time a couple of weeks ago in a North Div1 game and thought they were brilliant! Super communication and took so much pressure off, particularly when play was in the far side of the D. Great to hear what he was saying to players and then be together with our prompts warnings etc. Still needed to look at my colleague, big smiles, thumbs up etc. to let players know that we were communicating. Another colleague also used mikes for the first time yesterday and came back wanting to buy some.
    I have been e-mailing umpiretalk and have put my name down for set of their Chat2 mikes (used by NPUA) but they cost a lot more than you are quoting. Where can you get them for £120?

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

I'm sure he's not talking about the same mics. It's not like you can buy them in the stores or off eBay...

Having used both the FIH (Adeunis (sic?)) or NPUA (UmpireTalk) always-on sets, I hate going back to push-to-talk, never mind completely mic-less!

7. Alistair2809

Alistair2809 FHF Newbie

Word of Advice with the umpire talk radio's, splash out and go for the slightly more expensive ones, as i've used both, the all-in-one radio has less static, better headsets and is a one piece unit

8. LowerO

LowerO FHF Starter

I'm not sure what make these were - I'll find out tomorrow night. But they were bluetooth, always on (so no need to press to talk) lightweight with Jabra headset. My national league umpire friend got them through a national league contact, so they are designed for hockey. They were definitely £120 because the 'official' mikes were much more expensive.

9. Peakey

Peakey FHF Regular Player

Definitely doesn't sound like a 'gimmick'. Sounds like an awesome tool.
    Are they used in Australia much? Probably only used in hardcore important matches, but I don't think I've actually seen them...

10. hockey-nut48

hockey-nut48 FHF Newbie

Thanks - looking forward to learning more about your friends mics. Will certainly buy some and even hope to use them with Keely if we umpire together some Wednesday this season.

11. Bondy

Bondy FHF Legend

Just be careful though - if you umpire with someone like CardHappy you'll want a mute button to protect your hearing by the end of the game...

leosatan, controller and CardHappy like this.
  12. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

Have purchased a pair of Chat 2 radios recently ( the more expensive set ), having used a friend's set in mid-week matches for last year or so .
    Many significant benefits.
    - better decisions
    - cuts down misunderstandings with partner
    - much better flow of information ( need to stop time, who was carded, why, when to bring them on, lost time, etc, etc)
    Players like them. They know you are taking it seriously. It spooks them when you call an attacker who has just entered the D early at a PC behind your back!

It also helps with other problems. One of our (good) umpires has restricted mobility due to a knee issue. He is doing much more umpiring than he would do without the radios.

Bit expensive but they work. More people should use them - it might bring down the purchase price.

13. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Sounds like something we should be encouraging for higher levels here, then. No doubt some of the older authorities would disapprove of them, in much the same way: "they're just a gimmick, far too expensive, our umpires can do fine without them, who would want a partner shouting in their ear the whole match..." :rolleyes:

14. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

I look forward to seeing these benefits if we have the pleasure of your company later in the season ;)

(hasn't been the same without you this year - we've started winning!!)

15. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

Cue.. we'll meet again, .. .
    Just got to persuade some of my colleagues to use the mics on Saturdays. At present they take the attitude that they should only be used for minor matches ( - hey, that means your matches are important!)

16. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

I'd like to know details of where you can get sets for £120 too.
    I had the chance to be miked up and it certainly helps, you can stay fully engaged on the game and if you need help; instead of looking for it, you just ask.:D

17. Warky

Warky FHF Starter

Had my colleagues turn down the opportunity the past two weekends - frustrating when you spend more than £120 for them to sit in my holdall on the sidelines.

Also, letting the younger umpires use them definitely helps build their interest in umpiring from what I have found.

Pippinn likes this.
  18. keely

keely FHF Legend

Gadgets FTW!

Okay, maybe not just younger people.

19. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Give one to the keeper, and one to the bench. Keep the bench entertained.

Kilmory likes this.
  20. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

As a keeper in the regional English divisions I find them nightmarish, though I think the negative effect will reduce in time. At one point during a game with umpires doing their CIA impression, I actually asked the umpire that if he was going to give a running commentary of everything that was going on, could he stand a bit further towards being out of earshot.

From An umpiring perspective I have no doubt they are an excellent tool,'but when there's a free hit outside 25 and I have a full D and a player trying to block me off At al costs, the last thing I need (seeing as defensively Communication is key) is another voice nattering away!