Umpiring with an iPod?!

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by Cascadia, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Yesterday, both of my games were littered with some pretty bad calls (although I think some of the calls in the second game were retaliatory because the team I was playing for was being god-awful to the officials...how embarassing)... The first game, at half time, I noticed that one of the umpires had some wiring coming out from under his toque. He was listening to his iPod while umpiring!!! While none of his calls were particularly awful, and he didn't seem to miss anything major, it made me pretty mad. No matter how you umpire, I find that to be pretty disrespectful - the game's not 'important" enough to deserve your full attention? AGH!

2. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

The I-Pod most probably had the spoken version of the rules on it. To assist those "visually handicapped umpires" 'cause they cant see well enough to read the damn things. lol

ANIMAL

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

O. M. G. :eek:

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

As Keely so eloquently put it, O. M. G.!

5. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Makes one wonder, this does not help umpiring in general one little bit.

Hopefully you were able to lodge details of this on the match card. Follow-up should be done by your regional association for umpiring.

Not what we would like to see.

6. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

makes you feel confident in the standard of umpiring, doesnt it.

7. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

makes me wonder the standard this person sets as an umpire.

Also did the co-umpire say anything to this umpire, if not why not.

Stanrdards need to be set by the individual, this includes presentation, professionalism and a the desire to improve. This incident does nothing to demonstrate a professional image.

HUA's can set the standards but as I said the individual needs to accept responsibility for themselves.

Just my thoughts

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

... and quite embarassing for this to have happened in Canada. I sure hope I don't know who this umpire is, Cascadia!

9. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Probably not. I don't know him except by sight as a coach and umpire for his club.

As much as I do want to say something, I feel kind of stupid, because nobody actually formally did say anything to him at the game (didn't get a chance at the game cards, since my coach signed ours almost immediately after the game was over and since we lost (horribly) we didn't get the keep them any longer), and because, well, the umpiring itself didn't seem to be affected. He did a lot better job than his colleague, who was completely clueless and seemed to be basing a lot of her calls on the reactions of the players. x_x I will probably end up writing an e-mail to the ump co-ordinator of his club (since I know her well, but not him) and politely ask that this not happen again!

Seriously though, nobody could believe it...We initially thought he might be listening to the NHL Canucks game on radio (still no excuse!) but it hadn't started yet, and someone actually asked if he was listening to music and he said "yes!" :eek: WTF?!

10. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Perhaps it was something soothing but not too soporific which kept the edge on his concentration :rolleyes:

11. garli

garli FHF Staff

That is pretty rude.

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Huh, garli ??? Were you referring to me?

It was intended to be a light-hearted explanation... of why someone might do something so stoopid.... what were you thinking ?

13. garli

garli FHF Staff

No, dude, the ump.

If I saw that, and asked if he was listening to music, and the answer was yes? The most polite thing I could come up with would have been "are you kidding? in what world is that cool?"

14. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

He/she shouldn't do it, of course(it does seem 'rude'), but the bottom line is, surely, whether the umpires do their jobs effectively, not what colour trousers they happen to wear, sunglasses, iPods, or whatever :)
    If the game was safely and fairly umpired, be satisfied :)

I'd rather have an iPodder who watches the play as a colleague than one who talks to the spectator when the ball is in 'my' half!
    I've had more than my share of those over the years :angry:

15. keely

keely FHF Legend

Although your premise is fine, your way of arriving at it is just simply wrong. You can't umpire hockey properly if you can't hear everything going on (iPod). You can't umpire hockey properly if you can't see everything going on and people can't see you (sunglasses).

Colour of trousers is important to your appearance of professionalism. If you choose to look sloppy, don't be surprised if that's how you're treated. It's a harsh world, deal with it.

If you're umpiring at a level where the players feel lucky that you're a warm body that looks at the pitch more than 50% of the time when the ball's in play, well... everybody's just out for a lark and it doesn't matter what you do, so just enjoy the fresh air.

16. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Yea, my thought is kind of exactly how good is this music that it can't wait for an hour and a half while you do what is really a job, since you are paid to do it and people expect a good job. My problem with it is that it's just plain disrespectful, and pretty darn arrogant.

17. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

was is a Nano or Shuffle :)....down right rude and disrespectful to the teams competing.

18. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Quote: ".......you are paid to do it......" :eek: :no:

I only ever received a small remuneration .... and I do mean small..... on one occasion, Cascadia!

We stand in the rain, snow and freezing cold, being abused and thoroughly taken for granted, for the love of it :eek:

What would be 'normal' where you are?

19. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

A rather OTT response to a light-hearted comment, keely.

I am as aware as you are of the need to look and behave in a 'professional' manner... even when you have been dragged off the sideline a couple of minutes before the game, because the 2nd umpire hasn't turned-up :rolleyes:

I don't recall many games at any level where the players were "just out for a lark", but we do need to keep a sense of proportion.

20. keely

keely FHF Legend

If you want to wink, use this: ;) Otherwise, I'll figure there is a good measure of sincerity in your comment.

My sense of proportion is just fine, justin. It includes being understanding if an umpire is a last-minute replacement and doesn't have the right equipment, etc. Choosing to wear an iPod is not at all comparable to not being prepared because you weren't asked to do the game ahead of time.

I agree, players are not often just out for a lark - so maybe my comments were a lot more on point than you're allowing.