Umpiring "Quiz"

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by Cascadia, Mar 2, 2007.

1. amber flash

amber flash FHF Newbie

great to hear it went well. Shucks, sorry this is after the event - many of the basics can be done with - evryone on the field gets a fair and safe go to play the ball and score goals, so many of the official rules can be understood by kids as was it safe? was it fair? (e.g stick check = unfair, unsafe interference with player with ball;... obstruction = unfairly preventing other player from getting access to play ball;... )
    As for advantage... skill is required by the players in the team to take it and use it, and by the whistleblower to recognise when it is really there & I suspect at junior level most times there is not often the opportunity to take it, so if you tell the kids to just "blow the whistle" its probably OK - at least that's what I think about it

2. g9

g9 FHF Legend

Hey Cascadia, those are some good lessons learned. From our experience doing similar training, and now that we are into our spring recreational season, I am seeing that our regional certified umpire who did a night's class was way more into the advantage concept than this group could handle the older new umps think that they understand advantage way more than they do, and so they blow nothing. The younger newbies seem to be a little better at just calling a foul when they see it, so I am content to have that for starters, and showing them where it doesn't matter and why.
    Our biggest issue so far now that games are on is telling them to have the confidence to squash dangerous stuff when they see it, not wait to see how it plays out and a kid's got the ball in her face or a stick in the gut.
    For training purposes, we added a game of 10 & 11 year olds and brought the new umps in in pairs with me working them on one side and another more experienced ump on the other side with the partner. That worked really well, but we should have planned more time so that everyone got more experience doing that. Having them set the corners was the thing they handled best, and I do think it gave them a boost to see that their authority would be respected if they asserted it.
    We had 42 to start with, and of those, 2/3 were newbies so couldn't work higher level games. But it's a start and we hope they stay in the pipeline to develop themselves for future seasons. I am definitely re-doing the training for next go-round (was all set up prior to me coming on board this time), and will be using your experiences for sure!
    How are yours doing out on the games?

3. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Agreed. I don't know how many times the words "Safety is your frist priority!" came out of my mouth...I know it was a lot. :) And yes, in the U9-U10 game, advantage isn't a huge issue, since it isn't very often that there is good cause not to blow it - we did go over instances when it would be best not to call (eg: when the ball, in its path, rolls over someone's foot and then keeps on going). The big thing was catching fouls that are intentional: players stopping their ball with the back of their stick because they don't know any better, or players kicking the ball or stopping it deliberately with their foot etc. etc.

I WISH I could've had time for this, especially setting up plays like corners. Next year I will either have to ask for more time, or a seperate practical day. I have yet to see how they're actually doing in games, since the first matches are this Sunday. Hopefully I'll have time to at least watch one or two games in the morning! If they do well, I'll have to keep pushing the better ones to do full-field (U11-U14) games where we REALLY need the umpires! Everyone wants to stay at half field, because it's "safer". :baffled:

4. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

Welcome AmberFlash :) please say your not in any way a keeper lol

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

I'm sure Amberflash can introduce her/himself in the Member Introduction forum rather than here on a very, very useful umpiring thread.

6. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

What would we do without Keely to keep us all in line? ;)

7. g9

g9 FHF Legend

I hear you on that! We are sooo short on umps for the junior and senior games. But for us, it's about 50/50 on those that want to do rookies (it's more instructional and less pressure) versus those that want something that looks like "real" hockey to them, thus U-12 or U-16. Alas, they all have to start with the U-9 set and it takes the entire spring season to rotate everyone through to see how they do there. So it's really for us more about noting which ones seem to have the confidence and willingness to control the game, and who we think will work well at upper levels in the seasons beyond this; starting them in the pipeline now. It's going to be a long road...