Umpiring Course

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by Dave2892, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Dave2892

Dave2892 FHF Newbie

Hi,

Where would I go about finding out more info on doing a Level 1 Umpiring course, Im currently 16 and have umpired a few of our 3rd teams matches. Not too easy to do with a limited knowledge of the signals and rules and bigger players thinking they can push you around.

Would you say I actually need to do a course or to continue as is and just gain experience to better my knowledge and ability.

Any reccomendations?

2. controller

controller FHF Legend

If in England look at the England Hockey website. http://www.englandhockey.co.uk/

Or ask your club to contact the local Hockey Umpires Association and see if they are running locally.

3. Dave2892

Dave2892 FHF Newbie

In the UK, Should have said that :)

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Most new umpires would need a bit more practice before looking at the theory, but your post reads as if you have the attitude and drive to get the most from a course right now.

There is a list of umpiring association websites at http://www.thecooks.wyenet.co.uk/umpires'_links.htm where you can find out who runs Umpire Development (i.e. Level 1 courses) in your area. Since you are under 18, you should also contact the Young Umpire Development person, who will be keen to get you the right games and coaching.

Go for it! :yes:

5. Dave2892

Dave2892 FHF Newbie

Its difficult trying to umpire a game with limited knowledge and not knowing all the signals etc and having the opposing team complaining at you for missing stuff or awarding the wrong choice...

6. Harris

Harris FHF Regular Player

Some players will moan at you most of the times even if your decision is correct. I'm not saying they should but it is in some players natures that they do. Watch a few Umpires in some higher divisions and see how they Umpire and watch signals that should help you aswell.

7. mspice61

mspice61 FHF Regular Player

you will always find players who think they know better, i have seen low level men's and women's players try and tell a level 3 umpire that they have no idea what they are doing. :yes:

8. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Pick out some easier games and offer to umpire them - that will build up your experience and confidence. Perhaps your club runs youth hockey on Sundays, or maybe your school or college has hockey you could umpire.

For any decision you are not sure about (maybe players complained), check the Rule Book after the game is over. You will often find you were right after all, and if not then you've learnt something. While you have the book open, it's a good idea to learn Rules 12 (what penalty) and 13 (penalty procedures) really well. And the Umpiring Signals you need are on pages 42-44.

Another way of adding to your knowledge is to talk to umpires about umpiring. Your club probably has a few regular umpires, and in some areas it is normal for visiting teams to bring umpires. You can pick up lots of good tips and tricks that way.

9. keo13

keo13 FHF Starter

Definitely do the umpiring course - it's incredible how much it helps! (just restating that for emphasis) The signals are especially useful to know because then players (theoretically) can't gripe and say "what was that for?!"

What we do at home which has been an incredible learning experience is "shadowing". Essentially you have two experienced umps do a game and then you spend the game following one or the other. I had the opportunity to shadow several different members of our club (and other clubs) and some would give a running dialogue while the game was going on, as to what was going through their head, what the call was. Just be careful to stay out of their way if you try this! I've almost tripped over girls shadowing me before. :p

After shadowing a few games, being shadowed usual helped. This consisted of YOU blowing the whistle, but the experienced extra set of eyes were there for support (and correction if need be).

10. willc

willc FHF Newbie

Dave

As Diligent says, a good idea is to contact your Umpire Asssociation's Young Umpire development person. In my county we run occasional Level 1 courses for under 18s and try to include a bit more practical work. I do not know if other counties do this

Will

11. controller

controller FHF Legend

Also, work within the club you play for and your school if possible.

getting experience from doing Junior matches some times assist you to understand the game and teach you how to read a game and understand what and how an umpire sees what he/ she does.

BTW, tried sending you a message and your mail box is full!