Umpiring and hearing protection

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by nipper, Sep 29, 2006.

1. nipper

nipper FHF Starter

I have just been reading the posts about umpiring many games and the comment about having a noise-induced headache from umpiring many games of indoor hockey has me thinking. The whistle blown properly is an increadibly loud object and if we are subjecting our ears to this noise several hundred times in a game, I wonder whether this could cause long term noise induced hearing damage, especially if we are contained for several matches in a confined and often hard surfaced room. I have not been able to find any standard regarding this as recreational noises are generally not considered, but would this differ for the international umpire?

I have always had a hearing loss, so found that after umpiring a game of outdoor, I would suffer from increased tinnitus and temporary worsening of my hearing loss. So I now wear a set of musician's earplugs when umpiring which allows me to hear all sounds I need to hear (eg: speech) normally but attenuates the frequencies of the whistle so I do not suffer from the formentioned symptoms. Am just wondering whether anyone has noticed anything or thought about anything like this, or knows anything about hearing loss in this regard?

2. keely

keely FHF Legend

nipper, I have never even considered this issue before now. I would have thought my biggest risk factor is the fact I've listened to music in headphones at ridiculous levels since about the age of 12, but maybe this warrants some consideration. I think I'd be happiest if those musician's earplugs could possibly block out appealing from the benches as well.
    :D

Anyone else?

3. Will

Will FHF Regular Player

my ears are already wrecked from working around large speakers regularly. sometimes when i'm umpiring kiddies and i blow too hard they complain that it hurts their ears, but on a once or twice off basis it shouldnt cause permanent damage.

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Could you repeat the question please.

(Dosn't really work in print, that one, does it)

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

It took me a second. I was laughing on the inside.

:p

6. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

HAHAHAHAHA i think it was hilarious
    actually one umpire stopped umpire when he lost the hearing on one ear while umpiring a tournamnet

7. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Or, as a mate of mine says, 'I almost smiled outloud'.

8. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

9. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

Hey guyz!!

as im studying music, i have had many lectures on protecting our hearing due to loud noises/music. As I understand, noises over 85-90 decibels which is the equivelent to normal busy city traffic can start to cause hearing loss after 1 day!(if you are exposed to the traffic for a period of 8 hours), however louder noises such as the upires whistle come at around 100 Db causes damage after 15 mins of hearing it!

so if you are in a pretty hectic game, it is quite possible to get headaches and tinnitus.

nipper i think you are very wise to wear musicains earplugs, and i thank you for bringing this topic up to bring it to the attention of every one else! Hearing is a precious thing!

viks aka bfg

10. redumpire

FHF Moderator

But if us umpires wore ear-plugs how would we hear all the helpful advice from the players?

???

11. Will

Will FHF Regular Player

thats 15 minutes of continuous whistling though isn't it? it'd be a bad game that warrants that :D

12. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

Or a bad umpire.

13. Will

Will FHF Regular Player

:eek: where'd you get that smock with the smiley face on it? awesome!

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

Hey now, this is the Umpiring Corner - if you GK types want to talk fashion you've got a Goalie Zone all to yourselves...

:p

15. nipper

nipper FHF Starter

Musician earplugs are designed to attenuate a small frequency range only, in the case I use, higher frequencies equivalent with woodwind instruments. This means that the earplugs allow all other frequencies to be heard as if there was nothing in your ear (ie: you can hear people's voices clearly- so don't worry, that advice is still there). Hot Shot Viks, I am a musician as well so what instrument do you play? I'm a clarinetist.

16. redumpire

FHF Moderator

That would be a relief... :p

17. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Here's one to think about.

How many times do you think each umpire blows his/her whistle in an 'average' game (which doesn't exist, but you know what I mean!) ?

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

I know this statistic is "taken" at high-level competitions when video analysis is performed using GameBreaker software. If you tag "events" properly, you can assess the number of correct calls and incorrect calls, or types of calls, etc. I don't know any of the figures off-hand though, sorry....

19. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

The stats you mention, keely, would make very interesting reading :)

20. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

only to a train-spotter :D