Umpires clothing

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by deegum, Aug 21, 2008.

1. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

non white, non black?

GREY SHIRTS!!! FANTASTIC!

Can't think of any teams they'd clash with....
    :baffled: our fifth's had a player whose white shirt didn't know about washing machines :eek:

Seriously, would they clash with many/any?

2. g9

g9 FHF Legend

:eek: I may just faint right here............ ;)

3. CoachTaff

CoachTaff FHF All Time Great

Don't worry I'll catch you ;)

Don't agree with the zebra stripes one bit... but do agree that the umpires should wear different coloured tops to the players and GK if it can be helped... People seem to forget if you are making an attack from the left to the right and close to the baseline it can make a big difference on your perception with regards to wear the GK is and the Goals and if you see two yellow tops that can be confusing to the player making the attack especially if they see it through their peripheral vision. I mean isn’t that why players from opposite sides have to wear different coloured socks... so that they are easily distinguishable to the players through their peripheral vision, this is also to help the umpires of course, I mean how many people have honestly passed the ball to a player just by viewing their own team coloured socks through their peripheral vision and not looked up before they did it ??? even internationals do it, it’s an easy mistake to make, maybe costly but easy enough... and I am sure there have been a lot of us who have done exactly that... and for that exact reason it is important for umpires to have different coloured shirts than the players and the GK’s alike.

4. Spikey

Spikey FHF Starter

AND no to forget - the colour of the socks is also for the umpire to determine whose foot the ball hit....

I guess if the biggest discussion on this forum about the Olympic umpiring is about what socks the women wore then I guess I would take that as a silent "well done" from the FHF rofl

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

Touché, Spikey! :)

Other than the occasional shot fired on other threads, of course... :rolleyes:

6. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

We were given silver / grey umpiring shirts a couple of seasons ago in the English National League. They were terrible. No-one wore them. In fact they had to rush-manufacture a job lot of cerise shirts for us as the two they'd given us were black and silver - not good!

7. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

I agree Red, but you didn't say why they were so awful.

At the risk of putting words into your mouth, can I offer my opinion that it was the lack of visibility of one's colleague that caused the problems.

On a typically grey British winter's day, even someone of my considerable stature takes some finding against the usual backdrop of the crowd in blues/greys/greens/reds, if they too are wearing grey and/or black.

8. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Thanks Gilly. Spot on, of course.

I could also refer you to the famous occasion when Alex Ferguson instructed Man Utd to change out of their grey away kit into an alternative blue kit at half time in a game v Southampton as they were having trouble picking each other out on the pitch. Lee Sharpe - who was playing for Utd on the day in question - has written a brief account of the incident here.

Grey is just not a good colour.

9. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Yeah, but we all thought it was one of Fergie's usual excuses, didn't we ? lol

Just kidding, I saw that game on TV and agree that grey is an awful colour for visibility.

I also think the objection to 'zebra stripes' is more aesthetic than practical....Newcastle United FC have been using them for a very long time..... and remember that vertical stripes make you look taller and slimmer ;)

10. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Ah, but have they been using them successfully, justin...!? ;)

11. alex.

alex. FHF Legend

I was devastated when I saw that liverpool's away kit for this season was grey...although now it's out it's quite a 'bright' grey (if that's possible) and i actually quite like it!

12. John

John FHF Legend

Look on the upside, last time they had it we won the double!

13. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Didn't they (Liverpool FC) have a strip in 'ecru'(sort of 'off-white'), too, once....or is that the one you are referring-to?
    As one who gives his location as "Sahnny Lahndahn Tahn", John, I am wondering who the 'we' is who 'won the double'?
    Are you a 'displaced ex-Scouser' or a supporter of an opposing (Lahndahn?) team having a little dig?

Maybe "We" even means you are an ex-player of 'the beautiful game'?

But back, on-topic, I wouldn't have thought it impractical for the FIH to specify 'reserved for umpires' colours.... for example there are not many national colours among hockey-playing nations which include much 'cerise', are there?
    (Obviously, there may be some, say reds, which are a bit too close, so there would need to be a few others...)

And the idea of highly-visible patterns could be included .....perhaps 'giraffe blotches' or 'leopard spots' for those so opposed to being zebras ?
    Imagine keely in a fake leopard-skin shirt....no, perhaps she'd prefer we didn't. :no:
    (...shades of Bet Lynch in 'Coronation Street') lol

14. redumpire

FHF Moderator

My Evertonian friends tell me that most Liverpool fans are from London, Dublin or Oslo, justin. Being a gooner resiled in Liverpool I'm not really in a position to pass comment on that point of view, or on Everton's claim to be "The People's Club"...

Oh and the LFC kit referred to was definitely grey rather than 'ecru'.

Sorry, W A Y off-topic. I'll slap my own wrists folks, don't worry.

15. alex.

alex. FHF Legend

Justin, I think we did have a cream-coloured shirt, in fact I may even have had one, although I am informed that its denomination of ecru was wrong and it was more cream!

16. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Like most descriptions of colours, everyone has their own idea of what ecru/cream/beige actually look like :)

"We", eh?...another member of the team/club? ;)

17. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Danny Blanchflower's Spurs were the only doubling London team?

18. redumpire

FHF Moderator

No mate, Arsenal have done it three times: 1971, 1998 & 2002.

(Did I just take the bait...?)

19. John

John FHF Legend

Ah the troubles of being a Liverpool fan. I'm originally from Birkenhead (not that you'd guess from my accent), now I get it in the neck from both sides, some of the family are Tranmere fans and everyone else accuses me of having jumped ont he band wagon as a kid!. Hardly so as everyone I went to school with was a West Ham fan.

Back on topic, does anyone really have any trouble distinguishing umpires from players? If so perhaps the TD should set the colour of the umpires shirts.

20. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Its easy to tell the difference.

The umpires are the ones who make all the stupid mistakes lol

Any UK players in those teams ? :p