Umpires clothing

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by deegum, Aug 21, 2008.

1. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Germany re China women
    The umpires' clothing was not similar, it was almost Identical to the German GK's.
    And in a very eyecatching/ distracting yellow/Black

How come no one noticed and/or did something about it?

Will the TD do anything about it?

Do the Umpires face sanctions?

if a player in the wrong underpants can be suspended for two matches............. :p

2. keely

keely FHF Legend

Umpires usually try to be in different colours than the GKs to be completely thorough but sometimes in meeting the rule that the umpires wear a different colour from the teams, meaning the outfield players of both teams, they are left with only one choice that is close to or the same as one of the keepers.

Not a big deal.

3. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Sorry Keely in this case I'd disagree

Especially with top umpires who get so close to the goals.

BIG DEAL- because the Yellow is such a " strong " colour.

here are two pictures ( they are on the same page )
    One of the goalie and one of the umpire.

( the chinese GK was in pale blue top)

http://www.worldhockey.org/vsite/vimagesite/images/jpg/0,11410,5193-0-140231-0-custom288565,00.jpg
    http://www.worldhockey.org/vsite/vimagesite/images/jpg/0,11410,5193-0-140233-0-custom288565,00.jpg

On (my) TV the yellow was a brighter colour.

I think a player taking a quick shot might be confused by the " corner of the eye" view- or think it was her own goalie.

Green tops? surely there would have been a couple of shirts that colour around :(

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Err Deegum...

Even the most dim-witted striker will guess that the yellow shirt between the posts is the GK and the yellow shirt next to the goal is the umpire.

To repeat Keely, it really is no big deal at any level of hockey.

5. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Then again, you would expect them to have shirts in other colours lying around at the Olympics... or is that just me?

TBH I am really interested in the answer to this question:

Is there (theoretically) a number of sanctions you can get as an FIH umpire? For breaches like these I doubt the outcome is all that important, but for other breaches as well, is there like a schedule of punishments? ;)

6. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Err Dilligent, the GK isn't necessarily between the posts.
    Trust me........ I know... I've actually found my way the whole way to that funny curved white line.-all by myself. :eek:

And in fact the umpire can be nearer the goal and more in line!

:)
    And there are defenders to confuse as well.

Normally I'd say it doesn't matter, but identical shirts brightly coloured and contrasting with the other players?

Should it be the TD or the senior person on the tech bench be hung drawn and quartered?

I'm really surprised you regard such an occurrence, possibly causing a "tragic" error , and extremely simple to rectify, as trivial.

" Give them a couple of Greenish polo shirts." I'm sure in the crowd there would have been a couple of volunteers

And it is against the rules.

It doesn't say " both teams' FIELD players

7. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

I've seen yellow worn by both umpires and a keeper in previous matches, but in this one I felt the similarity was too close (both having a black line down the side and black shorts/skirt).

It may well be a trivial issue, but one that could/should be easily avoided. The umpires could have always asked the goalie to change if they felt it was an issue.

I play and umpire at a low level in the UK, but as a keeper, I always have 2 different coloured smocks in my bag, and when I umpire I aim to have 2 or 3 different coloured shirts with me.

8. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

As I've said elsewhere, a player coming into the circle and about to strike at goal, doesn't want to have to make such a distinction, by actually having to 'look' at the keeper/umpire. It just takes that....possibly vital....fraction longer.
    And it's simply UNNECESSARY..... as has been said there should be enough other colours available.

As a striker I loved keepers who kept their pads & shirts shiny-clean.....it made me 'aware' of exactly where they were, without 'looking for them'.

Some keepers take the opposite view ...that bright colours 'attract' shots....just two POVs!

BTW they couldn't wear green tops...... might be confuzzed with a bit of the playing surface lol

9. WillD

WillD FHF Newbie

IS it me or it the GK the one with the pads and oversixed body armour on? No comparison with the umpire! (who btw does not have a stick or helmet). I am in total agreement with Keely on this one.

Just another thought though: if this is all that is being discussed on this match surly the umpires must have done a good job :p

10. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

What I what to know is, what's with the yellow/blue/pink socks the lady umpires are wearing?

I haven't seen enough women's internationals of this level to know if this is common practice or just an Olympics thing.

Is it a colour distinction thing between the tradition black and those teams wearing black/navy blue socks?

Surely these teams give the umpire's socks not thought whatsoever.

Maybe it's a TV thing?

11. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Anyone who (scornfully, even)thinks it's OK for them to wear the same colours because of the pads, etc , has, IMO, never been a striker with the almost instinctive awareness for the position of the goal &the keeper.

You just don't want a similarly-coloured 'thing/object/being/whatever' in your peripheral vision.

12. keely

keely FHF Legend

First of all, when it comes to the shirt colours, this is ultimately a technical decision made by the TD. Umpires will not be held responsible for a mistake in this regard.

Sanctions against umpires for on-pitch mistakes or breaches of codes of conduct and such involve getting "worse" matches, getting suspended for a day or more of matches, or getting sent home. These decisions by the TD are not published anywhere and are not appealable. Tournament reports may or may not reflect disciplinary action taken.

O.M.G. I didn't even notice until I saw a photo on the Olympics site of Gina wearing pink socks to match her top.

Back in the day (and I mean 30 years ago and more), I'm told that female umpires had to travel with socks to match each of their shirts.

The International Umpires Handbook clearly states that female umpires are to wear black socks and black socks only. This seems a bit OTT, especially when you consider that male umpires don't have the option of wearing different socks (or they may, but I doubt anyone will notice).

13. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

That smacks of someone not having enough to do and inventing a new and quite unnecessary 'regulation' :(
    What next? Pink skirts? .... :eek:

14. controller

controller FHF Legend

what again, it wasn't pink in the first place it was cerise!!!!!!!

The shirt colour was not that apparent until as diligent says in the goal areas, but when the commentors don't mentioned it then there is nothing to worry about, but I do have a feeling something was said to the Chinese by the TD before the game because Colours were posted up the night before.

15. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

What next? Pink skirts? :yes:

Keely, there is a picture of Maralise with a snappy retro-a-go-go belt on as well. (though I suspect it's to hold her radio on).

Maybe we could get Mike Mahood to design a whole new line of umpiring kit? ;)

16. ivyleague

ivyleague FHF Top Player

re the socks - i think it' because there's a few teams wearing dark/black socks (NZ, Holland) and sometimes the teams/officials prefer the ump to change. i've had a few occasions where i've changed or (grudgingly) put tape around my socks so that the players don't get confused and pass to me (the fat one with no stick...)

i think the socks look quite smart.

17. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

For once I think that the USA have got it right with their football officials....those zebra-stripes might look a bit silly to some(and obviously wouldn't work at Newcastle Utd!), but what's to stop the FIH saying that 'the following colours/combinations are reserved for umpires' use and may not be used by players' teams'?
    It's nonsensical, IMO, that so much time is spent trying to avoid 'clashes'....in some leagues it's standard procedure for the 'away' team always to wear white...seems an eminently sensible principle to me.

(I have a multi-coloured, striped rugby jersey which I usually carry, to ensure I have something which clashes with no-one! ....It might be a problem if I were ever asked to officiate at Northampton Rugby Club...not a very strong possibility :) )

18. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

wouldn't that guarantee clashing with absolutely everyone? rofl

19. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Depends how you define clashing.....it's 3 quite tasteful colours ;)

20. keely

keely FHF Legend

Uh... probably the fact that teams wear colours either from their flag or otherwise important to the country? What, you're going to ban Australia from wearing yellow because it's to be an umpires' colour?

Zebra stripes are horrific and we've had this discussion on this forum before, where I've said we as hockey umpires don't wear them because we don't see the game in black and white.