UmpireHockey.com Names FHF it's Official Forum

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by UmpireHockey.com, Jun 22, 2007.

1. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Hi Everyone --

Field Hockey Forum has been named the official forum for the UmpireHockey.com website.

A few years ago on UmpireHockey.com, I launched a forum. It was a pain and the technology wasn't then what it is now and, more important, I didn't have the energy or desire to build an appropriate interactive environment to support the users. Steve, obviously, has dedicated the necessary time and resources (mostly the more expensive of the two -- time) to building a great discussion environment for our sport.

So, with much fanfare (okay, not really any fanfare yet), UmpireHockey.com created a persistent link at the top right of each page labeled FORUMS.

Clicking on FORUMS brings up a new window with a link to Field Hockey Forum and a declaration that FHF is UmpireHockey.com's official global discussion destination.

The FORUM page includes other links to a few "local" forums where -- mostly parents -- complain about/praise different teams, complain about USA Field Hockey, and discuss the college recruiting process.

I trust members of FHF will support UmpireHockey.com's selection of FHF as it's official forum!

Good games...Cris

PS: UmpireHockey.com, by its nature, a different type of publishing endeavor and I would love to be able to publish a wider variety of articles (I can only write so much and, naturally, bring a relatively narrow perspective to each piece). Please look at the categories on UmpireHockey.com to see if there might be a way for you to contribute. I am especially interested in some human interest pieces for the category called "Behind the Whistle" -- where I hope to publish articles about what's it like to be an umpire. "A Day in the Life of InsertNameHere" .. "The Life and Times of InsertNameHere" .. "My First Big Tournament" .. "Why I Officiate" .. "My First Year as an Umpire" .. etc.

2. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

excellent news

3. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

I wonder if OBO will take the hint and make this their "offical forum"...... :)

4. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

don't they have their own though? - but this would be better

5. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

yeah but if this was their official forum it might would get to angeled
    theirs forum isnt really built to support long discussions its built more to handle short questions about kit
    this forum on the other hand offers member a freedom of speach about kit and it support long discussions

6. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

and spam. cant forget the spam

7. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

okay shep the this forum works well for spamming as well

8. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

yay! hooray for spam

9. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

that is if we are not talking about the pressed meat stuff

10. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

noooo. that stuff is wrong!

11. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Already the GKs have driven this topic off track! Geez, we work fast!

Back on topic, good stuff! More discussion in the umpiring corner would certainly not be a bad thing!

12. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

ok , but what about the spam? lol lol bring on Monty Python

13. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

oh yes, we're good

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

Cut it out, guys, or he may change his decision. >:

15. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

calm down, we're just addind some colour

16. keely

keely FHF Legend

There's lots of places on this forum to "add some colour", but this isn't it. A person, new to the forum, who has invested countless hours into his own umpiring website, decides to align himself with another community and bring his traffic along. This very well could be the thread that he's hyperlinked back on his own site to make the announcement and the first thing these newcomers see is a bunch of spam. How useful are they going to think this forum is?

Shep, I don't want to be a killjoy but just look outside yourself for just a second and you'll see that it's just not on in this case. Ok?

17. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

Keely,
    More valid observations. As always. :)

We should all be proud of this Forum - it's successful, covers a range of topics, is truly international and is self-regulating. Being linked to such a website as umpirehockey.com is acknowledgment that we are all doing something right. We should welcome the link, foster the relationship and work hard to ensure success. We are all after the same thing - the continued success of our sport.

So although I am far from the most angelic when it comes to off-topic postings :sorry: I agree with Keely that in this instance we should make every effort to promote the positive side of our FHF.

Snoody

18. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

put in my place. do please tell me when i am allowed to do anything again. ever. (by the way, one of the reasons i chose this forum was the fact that, instead of some, it was a fun place where people could express an opinion, get technical help, kit reviews etc, but also have slightly wierd off topic conversations, without everything being about the duller side of the sport)

19. keely

keely FHF Legend

Hey Shep, I totally agree that it's great you can have all kinds of fun conversations - like I said before. And I certainly not saying that you're "not allowed to do anything, ever." But you also agree that FHF is a place to have more serious conversations as well. In order for that to happen, you have to respect that there are better places for serious conversations and better places for "slightly weird off-topic" ones too.

Two rounds of blatant spam on a topic in the Umpiring Corner, the second round coming after someone very politely tried to bring things back on topic again, isn't the right place - don't you agree?

Thanks for considering it.

20. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

apologies for all for my childish burst of sour grapes of a few minutes ago (am not great at being told when i am wrong, or out of place, and my natural reaction is to get sarcastic and immature) :(