Umpire from the netherlands

Discussion in 'Introduction to our hockey forum' started by Jordy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jordy

Jordy FHF Starter

Hello everyone,

I am 16 years old and a dutch umpire.
    I have played hockey for 7 years and next year i am going to umpire for the KNHB.

Now i am umpiring Ladies and men at a high level.
    My expirience in umpiring is 3 years so i hope there are comming a lot of more year!

Futher i got a youtube channel, www.youtube.com/user/thejordy02 what are full hockey matches and umpire moments.
    There is also a FB page: facebook.com/thejordy02 where you can post requests etc.

Feel free to leave a comment :)

2. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

Welcome :) I took a group of umpires to The Netherlands last August to the Dorstetti Hockey Club

3. Jordy

Jordy FHF Starter

Can i ask for what?

And i umpiring for now on the other side of the country haha

4. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

we were invited to umpire at a junior hockey festival

5. Koichi

Koichi FHF Newbie

Hello Jordy, and sorry for sending message to you suddenly.
    Actually, I am playing hockey at my university in Japan, and have played around 1 & a half years.
    Although my hockey skill is poor and beginer level, I`m dedicating to hockey everyday and enjoy it.
    And, I also have a umpire licence in Japan, so I can unpire a lot of games at Japan`s local scale.
    Right now, I am planning to study abroad in Groningen from next year, so I do want to play hockey and also practice umpiring for improving my umpiring skill in Netherlands.
    So, Could you tell me about umpire licence system in your country? How can I get umpire licence in Netherland (or Netherland`s regional level. I guess your country has kind of hierarchy system in umpires. I mean, there are IA umpires, umpires in national level, or those in regional level. ) Or,even though I cannot get the licence, I wanna have oppotunities to umpire hockey games as much as possible.
    I would very appreciate if you had some information about this and told me that.

Kind Regards

Koichi

6. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Hi @Koichi, Welcome to the forum.
    @Jordy hasn't been seen around here for a long time, but as I am from the Netherlands as well I'll try to help you as best I can.

Groningen is a very nice city to study with lots to do and see. There are several hockey clubs in the area: GHBS and GHHC (which is located in the nearby village of Haren) are the two "civilian" clubs, while GCHC and Forward are student clubs. All of them offer hockey at all levels and welcome anyone interested in playing. Club fees differ a lot, this correlates to what the clubs have to offer with respect to quality of training, level of play, umpire (coaching), etc.

As for umpiring: There are 3 levels of umpiring in the Netherlands: club umpire (CS), club umpire + (CS+) and "bonds" umpire. All senior players are expected to have their club umpire license, which is required to umpire. All clubs offer crash-courses and you will be able to get your license very quickly. This license is valid for most levels, but means nothing more than that you know the rules. Some clubs offer coaching, but this is usually limited. When you want more you can check out the CS+ course. The CS+ course is an add-on to the CS license. It is not required when umpiring levels below "Bonds" level (as far as I know), but offers more insight in game management, finesses in the rules and people management skills so you have more and better tools to handle the higher level matches. This course is unfortunately given very infrequently, the KNHB (Dutch hockey federation) should know more.
    When you are really into umpiring, you can become a BIO (bondsscheidsrechter in opleiding = federation umpire in training). You will start umpiring high levels games and receive coaching and get workshops to improve your skills. It usually take between 1/2-1 year to complete this training, but considering you're relatively new to hockey it will most likely be closer to a year.

First thing I would recommend you do is get in contact with the local clubs to see what they have to offer and what the fees are. Then make your choice and enjoy hockey in the Netherlands.

#6 Folmer, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Koichi likes this.
  7. Koichi

Koichi FHF Newbie

Hi,@Folmer

Thank you for providing me with such wonderful and beneficial information!!

I could get to know well about the umpire system and hockey teams in Netherlands.

If I come up with some more questions about this, I would like to ask you again.

Anyway, thank you soooo much!