UAE Hockey

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Inselaffen, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Having just returned to Dubai and finding hockey a lot healthier than when I left 5 years ago, it looks like United Arab Emirates hockey is going down the pan again.

Clubs got access to 2 nice water based pitches 1 or 2 years ago (the facilities were probably ready 2 years before that but the gates stayed locked). Today we hear news that the pitches are going to be ripped up and replaced with grass pitches for football and rugby. They will make more money

Looks like hockey is heading back to bouncy non-hockey astro pitches.

Crap!!

2. VeteranKeeper

VeteranKeeper FHF Top Player

Yet I read an article in Push magazine last night that hockey in Qatar is booming.

3. Inselaffen

It should be doing here. Its definitely healthier than when I left 5 years ago.
    But I think a lot of the other clubs are not making much use of the facility and I understand that even the Local federation organised a Grass Hockey league rather than push to make use of the astros.

believe originally the intention had been for the facility to be used by international teams from around the world for warm weather training camps, but I guess in this economic climate that won't happen.

lets hope they don't push ahead with their plans to rip them up.

4. John

John FHF Legend

whats the umpiring like?

5. Inselaffen

6. John

John FHF Legend

thats make it sound as if it is just inept rather than leaning to the side. Must be an improvement then!

7. Inselaffen

no inept and biased.

8. Inselaffen

Well this is how well the UAE Hockey Federation are developing the game. The only 2 hockey Astros in the country being ripped up because they can make more money from rugby pitches.

Attached Files:

9. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

Such a shame!

They pour far more money now in rugby and it's normal but why you have to remove the hockey pitch and replace it with rugby one? When I wanted to go there I googled the site and it seemed as it's nearly at the end of the city - build rugby pitch in the desert... (speaking of Dubai's 'sports city' (or whatever it's called)).

Rumour by unconfirmed source - a dude said to me that one of those pitches is coming to Bulgaria. If that's real I can assure you that the pitch won't see many more happy users at all. It should be laid in the sports academy in Sofia where virtually nobody except 10 academy students a year can't use it under normal circumstances... The rent of the current rugby/football sand astro is crazy, so this one should be the same.

10. Inselaffen

Big rugby club was training even further out of the city at The Dubai Sevens ground. Sports City can make more money from them than they can make from hockey. So they write of the expense of the hockey pitches.

Their pitch hire was so expensive that most to the Indian/Pakistani clubs here didn't use them.

At least we have indoor hockey for the next few months. Started yesterday and I'm definitely feeling it today.

11. Crispy boss

Crispy boss FHF Newbie

sad and stupid

12. laurastifence

laurastifence FHF Newbie

I think its really bad stuff to do or act. They should shame on themselves.

13. Inselaffen

Well there is still no sign of any hockey astro. My club trains on a football astro with poor lighting, no hockey lines and no proper hockey goals. Cant really motivate myself to go after a long day at work. Will start when we switch to indoor next month.

Our neighbours in Qatar and Oman are better organised.

14. Inselaffen

finally getting some indoor hockey training in. the goals stick out a bit past the goal line but apart from that its a nice enough surface and we have decent boards.

still no sign of any competitive hockey though.

15. Inselaffen

In Sohar in Oman playing a couple of friendlies. Amazing a small city like this has a decent hockey pitch and in UAE we dont have a single hockey astro.

16. Inselaffen

So this is what happened to our astro. The Scumbags at Sports City who ripped up 2 perfectly good, but under promoted astros, because they could make more money from rugby are now using some of it as an advertising sign at a conference/exhibition.

Attached Files:

17. Frenchy

Frenchy FHF Regular Player

Hows the indoor scene?

18. Inselaffen

we train indoor but we have a pretty useless Federation. They don't really organise anything. There are the occasional indoor tournaments but the umpires really don't know the rules ( or don't want to apply them) and some are played without boards.

The National team did play in a tournament recently against Qatar, Oman and Sudan. But to put it into context we played them as part of their preparation for that tournament and beat the easily. Team is mainly Emirati with a couple of Egyptians. The UAE Federation only seem to use the 3 year qualification rule for certain nationalities.

19. Frenchy

Frenchy FHF Regular Player

oh i see. it will improve i am sure with so many expats there i guess

20. Inselaffen

unfortunately not. The Federation is run by a group of Pakistanis and Egyptians who are more interested about what they can get out of their positions rather than building up the sport.
    With the number of players available here it could do well but it won't under this Federation.