Which gear? Tubigrips

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Grim_D, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Grim_D

Grim_D FHF Regular Player

'Tubigrips' or tubular grips, I presume, are the tubular grip bandages that you can buy from pharmacies. I've had a look in Boots, and at prices of £20 - 30 they look at bit pricey!! :eek:

From what I know, there are a few pros (ie national league) keepers in the UK and elsewhere who use them to cover their elbow to prevent burns when sliding and diving around with bare arms. I gather you tape around the elbow/arm to cover the area of skin and the glue substance on them will tie them to you - I've had to wear those fabric plaster wraps over muscles before after getting a few contusions! I know this type of wrapping allows you to hold basic plastic elbow pads around the arm, like I've seen Chris Bristow (Havant) do.

This is visual evidence of the technique - photos courtesy of John O'Brian from First Focus Photography, UK
    Old Loughts keeper indoor league http://firstfocusphoto.com/index.php?cat=events&page=photo&photoid=ruqj00akzc&pg=4&
    Bristow in action for Havant http://firstfocusphoto.com/index.php?cat=events&page=photo&photoid=odbch44j61&pg=2&

I think they also come in the pull-on tube variety (could be wrong about both!! lol) like those knee joint things to help if you've got dodgy muscles.

This is EG [East Grinstead] young reserve keeper wearing them:
    http://firstfocusphoto.com/index.php?cat=events&page=photo&photoid=2dijan&pg=1&

Anybody use them yourself? Could you give any tips or advice?

2. bigmick

bigmick FHF Legend

i've used something similar to the eg keeper in the third pic,fine on waterbased(but i dont think you get much astro burn on water anyway),on sand you might aswell not be wearing them as your arm rips up just the same.

3. Grim_D

mick: how did you find them in terms of maneuvrability, flexibility etc. - any trouble at all, or do they mould to the arm?

You're probably right: the material's too thin and would get easily shredded/would need a few layers to bulk out

But I suppose you'd be ok on water based as you slide more smoothly - the keepers in question were playing on water and indoor, so could be alright to wear them on those occassions...

4. bigmick

bigmick FHF Legend

spot on just like a thick compression top,they dont need to mould to your arm because they are elasticated so they are sort of like a second skin

5. Grim_D

Cool! Sound like a good idea to try out... kinda like going dutch, but with something to look after your skin :) - no more worried faces at work when they see the scars!! lol

6. kristof

kristof FHF Regular Player

7. Grim_D

Blimey!! :baffled: Maybe the area I went to was unique then!

Kristof: have you ever used them yourself/how do you find them (ie using that is! lol)?

8. kristof

I have used them on there own but I've found they offer little protection really in any form, I still skinned my elbows and there's no padding.

Looking at your photos it would appear you're possibly confusing "tubigrip" (a simple elasticated cloth bandage) with lightweight neoprene elbow supports like this

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Mueller_Neoprene_Elbow_Sleeve/2033/35905.html

Personally I'm happy with elbow pads, in fact I'm about to invest in a pair of RBk 5ks and go back to wearing them on both arms.

9. Grim_D

I think you're right about the confusion - I think the Old Loughts keeper is wearing both, but Bristow definitely uses tubigrips (now back to elbows though!).

Do you think the sleeves are any better or different in style to tubigrips?

By the sounds of it, they don't seem worth using anyway...

10. kristof

to be honest, if you're on sand the only thing thats going to protect you is proper elbow pads, water based and indoor the neoprene stuff is probably good enough to protect the skin.

The pic of Bristow seems to show him with tubigrip over elbow pads, not sure if he does that purely due to the rule that says you have to have upper body protection covered or if helps to hold his elbow pads in place.

11. Grim_D

Bristow has gone back to wearing ice hockey elbow pads this season (think they're DR make).

However, he has covered them up with grip before - agreed, not sure what for; could be to hold them up as they can slip.

I play on a variety: sand at home, sometimes water based at away pitches, so debatable on whether or not to experiment wearing them..

12. Fluff

Fluff FHF Regular Player

I use them sometimes when playing on really sandy pitches and I find they are pretty good at stopping burns. The trick is to fold them and layer them up so they're thick enough to prevent burns but not so tight that they hinder your arm movement.

The ones I buy are quite long so rather than cut them to size I just fold them over a couple of times and this gives a little bit of padding and should stop the elbow getting burnt.

Fluff

13. sun

sun FHF Starter

14. Fluff

Fluff FHF Regular Player

15. Mr Bean

Mr Bean FHF Regular Player

I dont think any of these products would stop me getting astro burns.. i wear the Robo body armour arms (only on my right arm) and still manage to take skin off every time i dive.. ive tried everything :( thing is, its not on my actual elbow, its the inside of it.. sh*t place for it to heal as its always moving :(

16. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

Sure your arm guard is on right? Like elbow right into the cup? that just sounds like its in the wrong place if your getting burned through arms

17. Mr Bean

Mr Bean FHF Regular Player

Yeah, definately on right :)