Trophy Final

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by Inselaffen, May 2, 2016.

1. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Just watched the highlights of the Trophy Final.
    wondering why Guernsey are allowed to enter a regional team to play against clubs?

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I know a man who may be able to explain... @Snoody?

3. Inselaffen

thanks, just struck me as amazing they have reached the final so many times.

4. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Low 70, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    I was thinking the same!

Is it linked to population figures? Guernsey population is circa 66k. I live and play for York and our population is circa 200k.

They should probably be playing in the higher Cup competition judging on past performances though!

5. Inselaffen

they have 12 teams playing in their 2 Men's divisions. agree they should be playing in the Cup

6. Babybel89

Babybel89 FHF Starter

I play for Basingstoke Men's 1s and we played Guernsey in the Trophy 1st round, last season. We play Hants/Surrey 1, div below South Prem 2, so 3 promotions from Conference level. I'm not sure if they played a weaker team as it was 1st round, or they were having an off day, but we had a hugely competitive game with them, losing 3-2 after a top corner drag flick with 5 minutes won the game for them. This is my very long winded way of saying I don't think they could compete with Conference/National League teams, hence why they are down in the Trophy.

7. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

Hi,
    Yes, it does look like an anomaly but we've worked hard with England Hockey to ensure that we're all above-board and fostering hockey as well as we can in the local leagues. Playing within the letter and the spirit of the rules, for want of a better phrase :)

Obviously, this isn't an official Guernsey Hockey reply, but with my best 'clubman' head on...

There are 12 teams playing in Guernsey, but the club is Guernsey Hockey Club. Each team is affiliated to Guernsey Hockey LBG. So we are all one club (well, I'm not as I'm only umpiring these days). Also, of those teams, two are U18 school sides. Our top division is only five teams, and there's quite a bit of a drop-off in quality between the divisions (trying to sound diplomatic but failing...). We have one clubhouse and one pitch.
    Elizabeth College, the local independent ("public") school, has a pitch across the road, but it's used far less and is not in as good a condition. So we enter as Guernsey Hockey Club.

It's the same situation in Jersey - several different teams all affiliated to Jersey Hockey Club. Jersey also play in the Trophy, but without comparable success so far - although it wouldn't take much for them to reach quarters, semis and finals in the near future, I feel.

As an aside, and to confuse matters further, we (Jersey and Guernsey) join forces to play as Channel Islands in the County Championships. I was lucky enough to play a few of those in the past 6/7 seasons. Again, we're not technically a County but we have been allowed to play by England Hockey.

We (Guernsey) have been successful in the Trophy in recent seasons thanks to a huge amount of hard work in the Club by officials and helpers; a thriving junior set-up which has produced some quality players coming through county and regional age group representative teams; some very welcome and generous sponsorship of the club as a whole, the teams individually, the umpires, the juniors, the leagues and most recently a new pitch; and some undoubtedly high-quality players. For example, our player-coach is Andy Whalley, currently the skipper of England O40s. We also recently picked up a Kiwi Masters forward, Steve Waldrom, who is engaged to a local lady and moved to the island. They've raised the standard of their teammates simply by being on the pitch with them.

So the success is possibly a combination of all possible good things happening all at the same time - a positive 'perfect storm'. But it wouldn't take much for it to level out again. If maybe four or five of the older, more established players retired (and there are several in their mid/late-30s and considering it), we'd be right up against it and probably would struggle.

Having said that, I understand that some of the senior members/officials of the Club may be considering entering the Cup. Being realistic, we wouldn't get far, but it would be a great experience.

BTW - very kind of @Babybel89 to suggest that we might be playing a weaker side, but there are probably a maximum of 20 first-teamers in the squad. We don't have the resources to play a weaker side. It was an off-day, I think.

So, that's my attempt to explain how things are over here. Hope it makes some sort of sense.

And I'll leave with an open invitation - if any club / team wants to bring a side over, we'd be happy to receive visitors.

FastForward24 and SPetitt like this.
  8. Inselaffen

Thanks for the in-depth reply Snoody. Congrats on the 5 finals and good luck with whichever competition you end up in next season

Snoody likes this.
  9. redumpire

FHF Moderator

@Snoody, Am I also right in stating that you have to play all your cup matches away on "the mainland"?

10. Snoody

Not quite right.

Until quite recently (2/3 years...?), the Trophy rules stated that any "offshore" club - Guernsey, Jersey, IoM - would have to be prepared to play "home" matches at a neutral ground on the mainland. That is - if we were drawn at home we could invite teams to come to our place, but they were under no obligation to come; instead they could oblige us to play in England.

It happened a fair bit. Our usual venue in those instances was Wide Lane in Southampton, which was a 45min flight to Southampton and then a 5min walk across the road from the airport. It didn't really put us out too much, but it meant we had no atmosphere (men's Trophy and women's Vase and more recently Trophy matches at our place regularly attract 400+ spectators).

Obviously, there's a cost for the return flights, but that was going to happen anyway, as the England Hockey rules also stated that even if teams did travel to our place, we had to meet all their travel costs. In real terms, it was probably marginally less expensive for us when teams came here as a return fare UK-GSY-UK was cheaper than the same flight in reverse GSY-UK-GSY. (We're trapped on an island and the airlines know they can charge more for people wanting to get off.)

However, after a few seasons of proving to England Hockey that we have a set-up here that is capable of hosting a great game of hockey, the competition rules were amended and sides do now have to come here if Guernsey is drawn at home. We still meet their travel costs, though. What they save in airfares they usually put behind the bar after the match :)

As an example of what that all adds to the price of a season, the first year we won the Trophy - 2009 - I was player / manager for Guernsey, and my bill for the season (on top of local league team subscription and new GK kit) was just a little under £1,000. Ouch.

I've been out of the playing set-up for a couple of seasons so I couldn't say for sure whether that's still a fair representation. However, I'd imagine the guys who've been in the Island squad for the past 10 years or so will have been put severely out of pocket by the club's successes.

Babybel89 and redumpire like this.
  11. Inselaffen

Sort of know how that feels. We have no hockey pitches or league in the UAE so we need to travel to Oman to play on a proper pitch or to get some competitive hockey. We even sometimes travel up there to play on a 6 aside pitch. Made worse for me as I work the western week (mon-fri) and travelling to these games/tournaments is usually during the local weekend, so I have to use up my holidays to travel to them.

12. Snoody

Yeah, that sounds tough and tiring, but it shows the effort we'll make to play the sport we love. Hope you keep enjoying it.

13. Dirty Den

Dirty Den FHF Starter

Stumbled across this thread and as it happens Guernsey beat Sevenoaks (East Conference) 4-3 today in the Cup, which even given Guernsey's trophy pedigree is a big scalp, @Snoody i'm looking out for the draw... I'm not doing anything on the 30th October so i wonder if Stuart would have me back!

Snoody likes this.
  14. Snoody

Yeah, that was quite some match.
    I watched the Twitter feed going crazy (many thanks to Sevenoaks for that) and could barely believe the result.

But we've been lucky on the island with the calibre of the players who've come here and the quality of players we've developed.

We would have loved a home draw in the next round, but a trip away to London Edwardians will be another great test of how far we've come. This first season in the Cup can only be a positive step for the sport locally.

15. redumpire

FHF Moderator