Trip to Amsterdam mid-end June 2018

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by ShionaHockeyMum, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ShionaHockeyMum

ShionaHockeyMum FHF Newbie

Hi all,
    Planning a few days away after my daughter's GCSEs next June. Was thinking of a few days in Amsterdam built around an idea of watching a high level club match and the chance to soak up the atmosphere at a large club. Maybe even hoping to see some GB women play.
    Having a quick search, it looks like their season is over. Any ideas folks for a European city trip that might work for these dates?
    Any advice on finding tickets?
    Thank you.

2. biggoaly

biggoaly FHF Newbie

Hi, if its Amsterdam your looking at and in terms of Hockey Culture, i’m not sure whether it would fit into your plans but one thing I did to celebrate the end of my GCSE’s was attend a Sportways Elite Hockey Camp, in terms of experiencing Dutch Hockey Culture it really is up there as your are immersed in it, its also a great standard and there were a few Future Hoofdklasse, JA1 at Big Club Players and even 1 Ford NHL Trialist aswell as a Bundesliga Player, we also got to watch the Women’s Team play against the u23 Women’s Team which was great, its quite pricey and is at the Mid July or the Start of august so dont know whether it would clash with anything but here’s the link if your interested.
    https://www.sportways.com/en/camp/amsterdam-3-elite-hockey-camp

https://www.sportways.com/en/camp/amsterdam-5-elite-hockey-camp

3. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

The only matches that will be played are relegation/promotion play-offs. The first matches will be played on 30 May, the weekend (2-3 June) will have the 2nd and, if required, 3rd matches for relegation/promotion from/to the Hoofdklasse. The play-offs for promotion/relegation to/from the Overgangsklasse will be played 6,9 and, if required, 10 June.
    These will be the last matches of a relatively high standard. Tickets for these matches are not necessary, all of them are free to watch.

Other than that, I guess @biggoaly's suggestion of the sportways camps are a great way to meet other players from across Europe and some hockey legends. There are other organisations offering similar camps across Europe.

4. AdrianHC

AdrianHC FHF Newbie

We went to Holland last year with our team. That was brilliant!

5. Ernst

Ernst FHF Starter

In case you're still up for the trip they will play a Champions Trophy (so really some international top hockey) between June 23 and July 1st in Breda which is the south of the Netherlands and more or less an hours drive from Amsterdam...

6. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

thanks for the heads-up on that, with all the fuss about the pro league/world league and it being a Commonwealths year, I'd completely forgotten about the CT. In fact if I'd have been asked I would have though it wasn't running these days!
    What is the future of the CT, and how will it fit in alongside the Pro-league? As an outsider I would imagine it is on it's last days, far too much else going on, and also iis it lowering in importance for players,(??) but on the positive side it gives us the chance to watch non-European countries in places outside major hockey hubs, such as when it came to Nottingham and this scheduled one for Breda.
    Anyhow, I'll be looking for a day-trip and will book around March.

7. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

This will be the last edition of the champion's trophy. Perhaps I'll see if I can get tickets for it as well, if only for sentimental reasons.
    It, and the HWL, will replaced by the HPL. Which will probably, and hopefully, be replaced by something entirely new in a couple of years.

Howard likes this.
  8. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

Pity but inevitable. However reading through links in other posts I notice that, as per when the posts were written, no airline had come forward to sponsor the HWL. Dunno if that's the case today, but the players won't pay to fly themselves and the money has to come form somewhere.
    Maybe I can be updated r/e the situation?

9. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Did not know about champs trophy, will be going to this!