Travelling with goalie gear

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Ire-GK, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ire-GK

Ire-GK FHF Starter

Hi, my hockey team is planning on going on tour to the Netherlands. This involves me having to take my goalie gear on a plane. How much would the average goalie bag weigh? How does one go about checking in the goalie bag? Is there any way to secure my bag for the journey?

2. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

my kit usually comes in at between 15-18kg depending what else I have in there. Have taken mine a few times on budget airlines from Singapore to Jakarta/Saigon/Bangkok/Kuala Lumpur, first time i paid extra in advance for sports baggage. after that i just checked it in as my baggage allowance. never any problem.

for security i just put a small padlock connecting the 2 zippers. otherwise you should be able to get it wrapped at the airport for a small(ish) charge if you want a bit of extra security.

3. Ire-GK

Ire-GK FHF Starter

i like the lock idea as my kit is my baby hate that it will be out of my hands :/ Ill have my full set of gear and all the players sticks by the sounds of things as were only an amateur team were trying to keep baggage costs low by travelling with goalie gear and carry on.... Planning on flying with ryanair or aer lingus if anyone has any experience of these particular airlines

4. Inselaffen

just bought a lightweight sportsbag (71 cm long) to take a bit of my kit with me on my move to Dubai. had only planned to take my chestguard, HP's and elbow guards but once I got the back home i managed to get the whole set (i use only minimal thigh protection) in except my helmet. that i can borrow for a few weeks there until mine arrives in our container. Result.

and in the non-wheelie bag without helmet, stick, shoes and the rest of the crap I take to tournaments it only weighs about 5-6kg

5. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Welcome Ire.
    I know there have been previous threads on flying with keeper gear. Have a search for them - may be something we don't mention here.

Contact the airline and ask would be my first thought - both for size and weight of bag, and whether you will need to check it in at the excess baggage desk.
    Get some bathroom scales and weigh the bag with your normal gear in it so you have a starting point. Adding a shed load of sticks etc etc may well push it a lot higher. Have a vague memory of there being a 30 or 35kg maximum weight for one bag.

We've always checked in individual bags when I have toured - have never toured using a "pay to check in bags" airline though and the airlines I have flown with in the past have allowed the weight of the goalie gear to be shared amongst the group.

6. Ire-GK

Ire-GK FHF Starter

Thanks tried doing a search but didn't find too much of interest will keep trying. Yes paying per bag it's a big pain and was doubling price of everyones ticket so was decided all sticks would travel with gear I'm just concerned about weight.

7. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Perhaps a second checked in bag (another goalie bag) might be an option?
    But as I say, talk to the airline first. Seems to be a few differences.
    Haven't used either airline, and haven't flown on tour for a few years though. As an aside I don't recall ever being asked "big bag or sports gear" and would also advise you to secure the straps down so they don't flap about and possibly get damaged.

Ryanair : http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-checkedbaggage

Aerlingus : http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/baggageinformation/

8. Ire-GK

Ire-GK FHF Starter

Great suggestion re securing straps thank you

9. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Back in my younger days when I toured there was a free allowance for sporting goods and my kit was under it. Unfortunately those days are gone, and even the 'premier' airlines charge me full tarif for my scuba gear.

10. Inselaffen

It's normally only golfers who get free allowance nowadays.

11. Manakin

Manakin FHF Reserve Player

I believe there are 'sports team packages' on budget airlines that allow for one piece of outsized luggage on top of everything else.

12. Ire-GK

Ire-GK FHF Starter

anything i can fin its charging for up to a certain weight and then 20 euro for every kg above that and to me a kg isnt much when it comes to gear so really afraid ill be over just waiting to borrow a scales to way my current bag. May have to borrow a non wheel bag if its too heavy :( Love wheeling mine around

13. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

My wheelie bag with a full set of gear and the addition of half a team's sticks came to less than 23kg, which meant it could be considered a standard baggage piece and checked in like any other. That airline also has a "sporting equipment" provision that basically considers anything above your standard allowance (as measured by any and all of: bag weight, bag size, number of bags) to be extra baggage and charges accordingly on a per item basis - which wasn't needed for that tournament as the rest of the sticks were packed into a single stick bag and treated the same way as the wheelie bag.

However, this was a domestic flight on what would be considered a minor airline which can afford to do everything perfectly (in terms of staff-customer ratios and investment budgets). International in Europe could obviously be very different. I'd say, it's worth looking at the airline website for their policy on sporting equipment, or giving them a call to ask about special arrangements.

As for securing bags, a padlock on the zips works well enough to stop anything major being removed without clear evidence of a theft - if someone is that determined then I don't expect much more will stop them. Beyond that, it's as much an issue of securing straps and making sure there's no accidental damage in the baggage handling. Duct tape across loose ends and maybe a good strip over the zips is simple and cheap enough.