Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'England' started by Willowsacorns, May 14, 2014.

1. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

Confirmed today. So that's James Gall, David Goodfield, Liam Ansell, Luke Taylor, Brendan Creed, Alan Forsyth, Chris Grassick & Harry Gibson all playing for club & country...

2. Accidental

Accidental FHF Top Player

In that case I sincerely hope they have enough depth in the rest of the squad, as EHL KO16 looks like it will clash with the Commonwealth Games next year!

FastForward24 likes this.
  3. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

And which Country would that be??

4. FatForward

FatForward FHF Top Player

I salute their hiring strategy which if you delve deeper has good representation across the home nations and has youth on its side. They may suffer when international matches kick in but actually hope as they are one of the 'older' clubs they carry some influence with England/GB and we might get some rethinking around making sure the National League gets its best players out on club duty every week. There are some very good players not mentioned in this list btw they can put out a good team in trying circumstances.

5. FatForward

*England/GB assuming the other home nations don't carry influence on fixture setting for National League - happy to be corrected

6. philthy

philthy FHF Super Star

Hey! I didn't think my demands were that unreasonable...!

Spoiler alert: Oxford based GK will be transferring to unidentified London club for undisclosed fee this summer...

Stuart Burnside likes this.
  7. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

Most certainly, but they're the centralised players. The squad depth at Mark Pearn's disposal is incredible, particularly in attacking areas...

8. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

GB, considering Great Britain (well technically, the UK) is actually the country & England, Scotland & Wales autonomous regions within that country...

9. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

You make your bed...

10. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

Do you think it is a good thing for clubs in the top flight to be put off having internationals in their team?

11. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

@Stuart Burnside Honestly, No. But EH don't seem to have an issue with GB internationals playing in the conferences so I doubt they will be fussed that they miss out on Premier Division matches. Clubs certainly haven't been put off yet, so I wouldn't suggest that it's an issue. The fixtures/tournaments are all scheduled months/years in advance so it irks me when sides recruit internationals and then bemoan the fact that they aren't available all year round (most notable instance was a guy from Holcombe complaining in The Hockey Paper). I'm sure if you asked the teams without the appeal/resources to attract any centrally contracted players if they would like one for half of the games they would be more than happy to accommodate!

12. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

Well we don't have the resources / that type of spend doesn't get high enough on our priority list & of course I'd be delighted if we had some internationals, so you're right. However, I also don't have an issue with internationals playing lower than Prem if it is the right thing for them to do (which is a balance of a lot of factors, and is ultimately their personal choice - let's leave that can of worms to one side).

It does seem a little odd that we can't have a league that fits round international commitments or vice versa when we have the same organisation running both.

A simple analogy - it is possible (in our experience) to rearrange a regional league game because you have indoor commitments. Frequently this works against us & we are trying to put sides out in slip weeks that our players thought would be ok for hols, in order that our opponents have a full strength side. I have no issue with that, and I would have no issue rearranging a league match because of a clash with our oppo's international commitments were we to reach the stage that became relevant.

But then I also believe in making it a paying spectator sport, so would want the top draw names on show, even if that worked against us.

13. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF Legend

14. FatForward

There are a couple of issues here.
    1) Fixtures are known in advance yes but players are requested to be rested outside of these periods because of 'niggles' incurred in training. The players want to play and this is a frustration for club and player
    2) Re-registration after IPL seems 'muddy' which was part of the issue called out in HP
    3) England/GB appear to be avoiding using players during the indoor/IPL phase of the season and then taking them off to tournament when the league resumes - don't get that at all
    I want to see the best players playing each week and so do the supporters I speak to and so do the players

15. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

Sam Ward back to Beeston! At this rate Holcombe won't have anyone left come September, not good when you factor in the 1As getting relegated back to cross-county leagues...

BossFHockey likes this.
  16. FatForward

I've joined a gym and registered for summer league in case of need......

17. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

IMG_3923.jpg

KJB32 likes this.
  18. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

Bad memories, he's literally just put one past me in that picture!

He's probably the best player in the Scottish leagues at the moment though. That's a good signing, I hope he does well.

KJB32 likes this.
  19. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

20. JJW

JJW FHF Newbie

http://hwhockey.club/harry-martin-joins-hwhc/

Not a rumour any more! Although I'm not sure it features as a rumour on here anyway, but a fairly well known fact confirmed by Hampstead.

Not sure anyone has left other than 'Ratman' into retirement. Strong squad going into next year.

Don't think there will be any 'Transfer Tuesdays' from them this year. Not sure they need anyone else?