To become Umpire

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by Chaider.lima, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Chaider.lima

Chaider.lima FHF Newbie

Dear friends :nerd:

My name´s Chaider , I was Field Hockey player . But for some own reasons I had to give up to play this sport and I would like to know if there is any course or specifically training which I can be one Umpire or Judge umpire ?

Best Regards

Chaider - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil chaidervale@hotmail.com

2. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Have you contacted your local/national association as each country tends to have their own paths of progressing as an umpire.

If you want general advice (as well as help on making decisions) we could be able to help as we have a wealth of experience on here from people who have just started all the way to international level :)

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

Chaider, I don't know what umpiring training system you have set up in Brazil if any, since your hockey program was only launched a few years ago. I would suggest going to the top of your federation in Sydnei Rocha (you can find his contact information here) and tell him of your interest. Mr. Rocha is very committed to the growth of hockey in Brazil and I believe he recognizes the need to have top umpires in the country as well in order to cultivate top players.

You may well need to go outside of Brazil for your education, and depending on how much domestic competition happens inside of Brazil, spending some time outside of Brazil to do some matches. Your English is obviously good enough to post here :) but I imagine if you do well with Spanish also that would help because you could go somewhere close by for clinics and gain from the many Spanish-speaking umpires in South America.

Good luck!

4. Chaider.lima

Chaider.lima FHF Newbie

are you kinding in to say that my english is good ? :p

Ah one question , I had been called several times to work as Judge Umpire by CBHG ,In some Tournamets I had already worked as umpire assistant but not " legal" , do you understand ? Could I have great change to become one ?

Best Regards

Chaider - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
    :p

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

Chaider, if I understand you correctly you're saying that you've been a judge at tournaments? That's another great path to take but one I think that can wait until you've done some umpiring to help your understanding of the game. Also, we can be judges at any time in our lives but only umpires as long as our bodies are fit and healthy so I'd say that now is a good time to work on being an umpire, and then you can make the transition to be a judge later. :)

Hope that helps!

6. Chaider.lima

Chaider.lima FHF Newbie

Do yu have facebook or myspace to keep one contact ?

7. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

The first step is to do it - start umpiring. Perhaps you can contact umpires at a local club, who can get you a few easy games. They will tell you the basics of positioning and working with your partner - the other umpire.

You will learn more with every game you do. After several games you will know how much you enjoy umpiring. Then is the time to look into the umpiring system for further training.

8. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Hi Chaider --

I have a very basic set of videos (English language) on UmpireHockey.com. I have collected them under a link labeled ONLINE COURSE (find it in the upper right) but it really isn't as formal as the label suggests. I am planning on "upgrading" the information there but the best laid plans need more time than I ever seem to have.

Hope the information helps.

Cheers...Cris

9. Chaider.lima

Chaider.lima FHF Newbie

Dear friends

Thanks for the information