The other locked 'Aerials' thread

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by NorthUmpire, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthUmpire

NorthUmpire FHF Newbie

I've just posted about another aerial landing situation so I'll add my two-penn'orth to this one too. I read the rule as "don't treat an aerial as being over until the ball is under control and on the ground" and that could be just "on the ground" if its a bounce and nobody controlling it.
    Pre-match chat advice added to my list! Thank you.

2. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

There are no aerial rules. There are rules for raised balls.
    A raised ball is any ball which is not at ground level or below.

3. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour DII
    Ground level or below? Didn't know there was a dodgy underground hockey league taking place somewhere?! ;)

Paul Watts likes this.
  4. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

I have read this argument a few times when it comes to overheads and i just feel the need to point out how ridiculous this argument is, for a whole multitude of reasons:

A) why would defenders bother throwing an overhead rather than just smashing the ball to the other end if all they want to do i realease pressure.

B) what kind of defender finds enough space to throw an overhead (5m+) and picks a crowded area to throw into rather than the space around that crowd.

C) even if a defender chooses to throw an overhead in a random direction, that happens to be into a crowd of two people, why do people talk about the danger being the defenders fault rather than his teammate who had ample time to step away?

D) if teams a throwing their release overheads only 40m ( any more and they very little chance of throwing into a crowd) and then immediately turning over the ball via a fh, then their oposition would take that any day of the week.

E) im going to state this again, what defender chooses to throw the ball into a crowd to release pressure? Not ones that have any clue what they are doing. If danger occurs from these long range flicks then it is ALWAYS because of the players in the landing zone.

5. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour DII
    A) much easier to release pressure with an aerial if you're defending than with a hit.

B) A lot of defenders I have played with and against.

C) That is not the rule, you dont have to "Step away" from the ball.

D) Yes, but gives defending team ample time to set behind the ball.

E) I personally disagree, just from experience/opinion. I've played against teams that have played half court press for 70 minutes, and chuck aerials anywhere and everywhere to release pressure, and frankly it seems to test umpires decision making.

6. nerd_is_the_word

A) if your aerials go 60 - 70m then it is, this is fine as you will avoid crowds, but the idea of releasing pressure is to get the ball away. If you can only aerial it far enough to find a crowd then you arent going to release pressure.

B) those defenders are either idiots, or incompetant.

C) yes it is

D) 40m will not give you ample time.

E) If they are half court pressing then why would they throw aerials into a crowd? They have an entire half of the field free to throw to.

7. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour DII
    ABDE is very much a YHTBT argument, and it makes no difference whether we agree or disagree. Games I have played in, at levels varying from regional premiership to nearly 10 leagues below, I've seen and experienced the situations I mentioned above. You were not there, so doesn't its a moo point.

But C, it is not the rule that the attacker has to "Back away" taken from another thread on a very similar topic: "I must just re-iterate that the players of the lifter's team in a crowded area are not required to 'back away' or to 'give 5' ... the rules simply require them to allow the 'defender' to take the ball down to the ground, without interference or approaching to within 5 metres .
    So if they are, say, 2m away, they are free to approach and tackle as soon as the ball is on the ground and controlled.
    This is what the rule says, and I have never seen anything official to the contrary." From a much higher qualified umpire than me! There is no 5m zone around the person who controls the ball where people cannot be, thats a myth.

SPetitt likes this.
  8. nerd_is_the_word

Jake if you read the post about three on from that post in the same thread (post #21) redumpire informs you that the poster of that opinion is in a very small minority (you could probably count them on one hand) of people who actually believe that is correct. Nearly all umpires who have any level of competance will tell you that is incorrect.

But as far as the YHTBT part of this thread, are you telling me that you are actually seeing team deliberately throwing overheads into crowded areas consistantly? In order to make 40ish metres of distance and then immediately turn the ball over? Because that is actually ridiculous

9. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Let's not have two threads with the same people posting the same arguments.

Locked.

Jake Harvey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.