The London League.....what a waste!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by MKochar, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

The London League is a mens league only.
    I suspect Surbiton Ladies 2s have no where to go as their 1s are in NL and as far as I know NL is 1st teams only, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

I guess whilst from the team's perspective there's nowhere to go, from the players' perspective if they don't like being a reserve player in a capped out (albeit competitive) league then they can go to another club's first team with potential for NL / in conference. That's perhaps a benefit as can provoke a strengthening of a wider range of clubs, which, assuming some of then coach, increases our grass roots reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Reg. 4.1.3 of the Men's Hockey League:

4. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

I guess in the absence of a dedicated 2nd XI league the London prem offers the best quality competition for national league sides in the region.
    A few years back you could watch a game between Hampstead 2s and Surbiton 2s and most of the players on the field were junior international or retired senior international players who needed match play as they were "squad" players for their club 1st XIs or recovering from injury. Indeed at one point Hampstead had more former Aussie and Dutch internationals in their 2s than in their 1s due to the Overseas player rule.

I don't see an issue with this personally as people have the right to vote with their feet if they prefer 1st XI status over national league prospects, facilities, coaching and matches or just want different things from their weekly hockey fix, and the capped league structure suits the clubs and teams in it. It would be suicide for clubs to spread talent around and if you want talented players from national league 2s sides to join your club invest in quality coaching and player development and give them a reason to move.

5. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

Forgive me for sounding naive, but isn't this similar the the Premier league 'B' teams argument going on with the football league right now? Surely the younger players would benefit from playing against different kinds of players and systems than those they would see week in week out at NL level.

6. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

It's a while since I wrote it, but I think the point I was making is that this lot can't get promoted into NL. So if you're on your way up into NL (as we were when I wrote it), and that lot crowded out the top division, you could end up in the ridiculous position that there's only one first team in the div, which means they are automatically promoted to NL irrespective of results.

I wasn't writing something pro Lon League in other words.

7. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

Not if the majority of players/teams in the London Prem are better than those in the South/East leagues

Seive likes this.
  8. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

But we will never know if they are because they effectively play in an isolated league. Lets say a hockey player peaks around 27-30, if I've spent the best part of my developing years (16-21) playing against people who are on par with myself physically or those whose physical condition is starting to deteriorate then I won't be prepared as well as I could be when I step up that level & consistently play against players at their peak. Besides, the majority of these teams would be entering the South League, from which in at least the last 5 years no winner of South Premier 1 has been relegated from NL the next season, clearly there isn't much of a gap in quality, if any.

9. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

There is a considerable gap I'm afraid. London Prem teams (2nd XIs) come up against South Prem teams (1stXI's) in cup competitions on a regular basis and win more often than not.

10. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

I think it's a bit far fetched to suggest that the players aged 27-30 in the South Prem are at their peak! I'd say the skillset of any aging players, along with the raw talent of those pushing for NL selection in the London Prem is higher than that of South Prem players.