The Future of EHL

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by Seive, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

So EHL for the coming season has been reduced to one round of group games In Barcelona (which is a contractual thing apparently) with only the top teams progressing to KO16 along with the top seeds who receive a bye. Combine that with the team travel funding being withdrawn and you start to question how much longer the format can be viable. Does that mean we are destined for a return to the old format?

2. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

I hope not - its a natural progression from being a fledgling tournament to a well established one.
    They absorbed a hell of a lot of costs, and developed a great platform - and the next transition is to put the onus on the clubs to become self-sufficient.

3. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

I hope not too as the teams certainly enjoy the format but it would be nice for the likes of EHB to get behind it more and promote it (and the ladies equivalent) as elite competition. That would necessitate getting behind the clubs though.

On a separate point, if I were the Russians being drawn against Kampong and EG in Barcelona with one qualifying place at stake and no funding I would probably wonder if it was money worth spending.

4. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

I don't see what else they can do? They post on the website. They use Twitter and Facebook. They feature links. The promote the schedule and dates and venues and successes.