The best pitch you have played on?

Discussion in '(Archived) Hockey Chit-Chat' started by FastForward24, Jun 18, 2011.

1. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Pro 90, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    Keen to see where forum members feel the best pitch/es they have ever played on are.

Looking at all factors that could influence your opinion, so things like the playing surface itself, setting & surroundings and how well the pitch is maintained etc.

A personal fave of mine is Belle Vue in Manchester and this is purely down to the playing surface. They have two water based astro's that are ultra smooth and have the perfect amount of bounce in my opinion.

2. Alex-willoz

Alex-willoz FHF Regular Player

Ummm probably Surbiton just over a year ago. Played amazingly well on farnborough colleges astro this past season. Go so much power on my drag flicks. Unfortunately I got rather annoyed with the umpiring that day.... Got subbed off by my coach because I criticised her umpiring while I was watching....and because I had a right go at one of the umpires for the most obvious back stick ever when the guy tackled me... Oops....

3. bighitter

bighitter FHF Regular Player

I find Belle Vue too bouncy - easy for the ball to squirt up too. But I agree about the smoothness and it's nice to run on.

Blackpool's pitch is pretty good. The University pitch at Wrexham is lovely. Fallibroome School near Macc built a pitch a few years ago and now we've switched many of our teams to it because it's so good.

4. danjuan

danjuan FHF Top Player

Has to be Bukit Jalil in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for me. Purely on the grandness of the place!

[​IMG]

5. RenneRs

RenneRs FHF Starter

I love the pitches at Belle Vue, it's where I get to play my summer league!! I think this will be the pitch I've played on that has the most pedigree (if that makes sense). I also like the pitch at Bowdon, though a lot of my team mates complained saying it was too bouncy.

I've played on a few hybrid pitches in my time too, and found them to be nice to play on too as long as they've had a bit of water on them recently. The pitches were Neston (who have a lovely club house), Preston, Sefton (who play at Liverpool Uni's pitches) and South Cheshire have a nice pitch at Sandbach school or somewhere.

6. Tiddles

Tiddles FHF Reserve Player

Lilleshall has two very nice pitchs

7. Dave30

Dave30 FHF Legend

State hockey center pitch 1 in Melbourne. Pitch is great, pretty awesome feeling when you get a decent crowd too

8. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Except that on neither Melbourne ground one or two can you see the whole pitch from any seat in the stands
    Almost all. but you can't see interchanges about to happen for instance
    Luxury dressing rooms but. :)

9. Attempted Dragflicka

Attempted Dragflicka FHF Regular Player

Agreed, but I reckon pitch wise Monash is really up there, because it is maintained so well, and its facilities are great.

10. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

A couple of years ago i got to play on the Hong Kong Football Club turf just after they relaid it. Good turf, nice watering, nice stand on one side, but what made it truly amazing was the Happy Valley Racetrack around it and hundreds of skyscrapers reaching high on all the hills around. In my dreams, I imagined millions of people taking a look out of their windows at our game:) There are also two other water turfs within 300 meteres. Great complex.

11. amb217

amb217 FHF Starter

I would have to agree with Hong Kong Football club, it is a pretty amazing setting and nice pitch!

12. Crocked82

Crocked82 FHF Top Player

*stokes chin* mmmm....

The best grass pitch would probably be at Union hockey club in holland.

The best sand based would be King Edwards in edgbaston.

Best water is tough...erm..Belle Vue for the surface. Southgate for the setting.

13. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

Chase park for me. Hands down.

Honourable mentions to The Pines (State Hockey Centre, Adelaide), post resurfacing, and Belle Vue.

14. Poty

Poty FHF Regular Player

I can't say one pitch has been better than another, so I have a couple.

The pitch in San Vito, outside Rome, has the most beautiful surroundings, with the stands on the side of the mountain and the view over the pitch just being mountains going on forever.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...EIU/mhlKPR2242o/s640/Rom%25202007%2520018.jpg

The two Olympic pitches in Sydney was not good, they hadn't been changed for 8 years, but playing there was pretty awesome.

But I think the pitch I liked the most was the one at Cintra Park, home to Briars in Sydney. New pitch and it was just amazing.

15. Peakey

Peakey FHF Regular Player

Can't go wrong with the state hockey centre in Brisbane.
    Turf field 1 is just so high quality, plus it has stadium-like seating.
    Turf field 2 doesn't have the seating but it's the same quality as 1. Nice and bouncy too.
    Even the grass fields there are of a good, well-kept quality.

16. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Sengkang Hockey Stadium in Singapore. pitches a bit bouncy though
    also its a pity they put the team benches on the side of the pitches that get all the afternoon sun

17. muramasima

muramasima FHF Regular Player

My favourite is the Sydney Olympic park (olympic) field. The new turf is great and the atnoshpere is great when there is a large crowd. There is also a hockey shop there, which are not that common.

18. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

Hmmm...
    Pitch in Siemianowice Slaskie (Poland) - some of you probably played on it during international events like European Junior Championship or international friendly matches:)

19. John

John FHF Legend

for those slightly newer members, this is pitch 2 at Sengkang, photo taken by inselaffen from the main stand. http://www.fieldhockeyforum.com/gallery/2880_08_07_10_9_20_13.jpg

For me I still think the best is the pitch beside the club house at Polo Farm at Canterbury. Whilst maybe not technically the best surface there is nowhere I would rather be getting witty abuse from the sideline on a sunny afternoon. Then its at least twenty feet to the bar for a cold one. Handsome.

20. jae6

jae6 FHF Starter

definately lomagundi college.its field hockey but feels like turf.we only have about three fields with turf in zim.but hockey is developing and the level is high.