The ‘Ultimate Drag Flicking Stick’

Discussion in 'Which stick? (includes Stick Reviews)' started by Bezinga, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Bezinga

Bezinga FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24
    Just wanted to see what everyone’s opinions were on this. personally, I have the new DF 24 and it produces some beastly flicks.

2. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    Are you looking to start a war? Haha

It's subjective everyone's different for me pure dragflicking I'd say the oakley lb9000 or the voodoo blue shogun

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bezinga likes this.
  3. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    to me it was this stick on the left.... shame it isn't legal anymore!

[​IMG]

The.Rampage.Rado and Bezinga like this.
  4. Waxxxed

Waxxxed FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Tribaal Impi - Beikou 90 Pro
    Surely it's got to be the now discontinued Grays Sumo?

FastForward24 likes this.
  5. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Recently used a GX5000 jumbow from the old illegal bow era and that thing was monstrous. Unsure of the specs but the bow was wicked, and with a little adjustment you could actually hit a ball normally.

6. TimmyNeutron

TimmyNeutron FHF Newbie

-Well for Indoor Hockey, this is a no brainer for me ... still have my old light blue malik from junior days which is also from the "illegal bow era - good old times" ... just bring your hands low make a step and the goalie is in fear.

-For outdoor it's an old red TK LTi which was one of the first TK where they tried out a flicking groove back in 2010/11 (I think) this baby still makes the ball - net thing look like a piece of cake.

7. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

The new Probow Extreme moulds will be one of those 'classics' in few years, imho.

8. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Anyone spotted one at international level yet?

9. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Zero at international or premier league here in the UK. They're monstrous.

10. Koekispim

Koekispim FHF Top Player

Stick/s:
    17'/18' Adidas TX24 Carbon
    Osaka Pro Tour Proto Bow? Very aggressive bow

11. Rajulicious852

Rajulicious852 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mazon Slingshot XG, Mazon Hook LB
    As in they’ll stop making them? I think a lot of people find them a bit too much

12. The.Rampage.Rado

As in "they are crazy!!!" :D

13. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    Probow was enough. Agressive bow which didn't really mean another aspect of your game suffered. I get the feeling that you could end up lifting a lot of hits and slaps unintentionally with the Extreme bow. Haven't used one yet though so maybe I'm wrong!

14. The.Rampage.Rado

The bow itself can't get (noticeably) bigger because of the rules. The main changes are in the profile of the stick and the power it will give out because of that. Not everything is carbon percentage and layup - you have to have proper shape before all of that in order to get better results when you're looking for feel and power. The new shape (notice, I'm not saying 'bow') is much better in all aspects.
    Yes, the general improvements are in the dragflick area but I also like the 'bannana-like' toe and the backhand zone which together with the back rib gives the stick much stiffer feel and redistributes the balance. The probow feels little skinny to me coming from the old Kookaburra LowBow Extreme mould of my Phoenix but I like the new Grays shape. That's true!

I won't comment on the other extras coming with the higher range models - I'm strictly speaking for the bow itself which can be found on GR5k too.

LeClou and dhiggins like this.
  15. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    I agree with what you're saying but in my opinion, the drawbacks when it comes to hitting (and these are surely undeniable? - you've less control on hits and slaps with the Xtreme, just you will probably find it harder to get power on flicks with a straight stick) aren't worth it. The jumbow or regular probow are, in my opinion, more versatile.

16. The.Rampage.Rado

When you hit the ball with a plank you aim to hit the ball at certain angle in order to keep it flat. When you hit the ball with curved stick the ball should move back toward you and if somebody struggle to do so every time it's not a faulty stick it's a faulty technique.

If I hit the ball with straight stick and it sometimes lift off the ground who am I to blame? The curvature of the Earth? :)

It's all in the practice and the time you spend with your new toy. I would like to play with curved stick 99 of 100 times if I have to choose. Simply the pros are much more. To me at least! If you like you can get used to the wooden stick @steve posted above and get the hits right. It's all about what you want to do with the stick.

RussellButt and Notty11 like this.
  17. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    That's all good and well but not everyone's got perfect technique! If that were the case we'd all be able to throw 100 yard aerials with a straight stick and be able to control the height of a back hand even with a razor thin edge. Different sticks help (and hinder!) with different things and that's why manufacturers produce different profiles, no one in the world will find it as easy to flick hard into the corners with a plank of wood, and although it's not as hard a skill, people do (just look at the reviews on this forum!) have problems with slapping and hitting with the Xtreme :) where they didn't with other profiles.

18. The.Rampage.Rado

You can't have only one profile, only one model and only one spec because people what diversity. They hate to be told what is good or bad for them. People also have personal preferences (colors, sizes, weights) so only a handful of models will be a bad idea from manufacturer standpoint. At least in the modern era where everybody want to stand out of the crowd with something different.

All I said above is based on my tastes - I like bent sticks because they give me more control over the ball. I was a gk and I would never be able to play at high level but you don't have to be top class to utilize such profile. My gk technique is adequate for me not to lift the ball when playing for fun outside the D. That's OK for me. I'm not an Olympian trying to score against Netherlands so I don't have to bother if my technique is perfect. I know I can control my stuff so I don't hurt others, so that's enough for me.

19. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    I haven't looked in on this thread for a bit and it's descended in to chaos, people playing hockey with planks of wood and shouting about the curvature of the earth?!?!?

Anyway jokes aside I have had a couple of knock about a with the probow extreme and I don't think it is noticeably more difficult to hit (or slap) the ball flat the the ground then with the probow or jumbow sticks.

What I am seeing more from juniors in my club who buy lowbow (not always full legal lowbows either) is when controlling incoming passes not getting their left hand forward over the ball and the ball rolling up their stick. With and stick it's technique that controls everything a couple of seasons ago I gave my dad a mid lowbow stick to use and he was unable to hit the ball flat for a good 25-30 mins his first training sessions with it. He now has no problem hitting flat with it and has even been involved with testing some of the lowbow sticks that I have reviewed on here with little to no issue with hitting flat with a slight adjustment. And my dad several years (to be fair it's probably 7, he's had 3 years out with a knee injury) ago when for England trials for his age group and was one of the last group cut, so he's not a bad player.

Yes there's plenty to say about good and bad points to each profile available from every brand, and it's finding the right balance of stick to suit your style of play. For example I used a TT10 or similar bow for several years, till they were outlawed because I liked how easy it was to go baseline to top d for aerials and that I could dragflick really fast into corners, I could not however hit a reverse to save my life with it. I could hit a swept reverse for clearing the ball or knocking the ball into an empty net but not anything near being considered a good reverse hit, but as that was a minimal part of my game I didn't mind. It's all about personal choice

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The.Rampage.Rado and Bezinga like this.
  20. asc1991

asc1991 FHF Top Player

Got the Probow Xtreme GR8000. It's good and has produced my best drag flicks.

I don't have a problem hitting strong or reverse sides. But I did come from an Uber Boomerwang so am used to the bow.

Main criticism of them is that they're really chunky (like most Grays), especially at the head. If it was thinner, it would make all aspects of play loads easier including drag flicks. Certainly for flicked shots, especially on the move, the Uber is a lot better. Although I did pull off a beasty reverse ariel with it on Saturday. I'd have gotten another Boomerwang if they hadn't increased the price so much.

I had an LB9000 but didn't get on with it. Very firm and unforgiving and I like a scooped face.