Tell us what you think of the archive

Discussion in '[ARCHIVED 2007 to 2013] Rules and discussions' started by Neo, Apr 5, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I found more information

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, it was interesting reading

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. OK, but my topic of interest wasn't there

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, couldn't be bothered looking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, too complicated

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Hi everyone - the archive is an attempt to group together older posts into similar topics that reflects what the FHF members have been interested in asking about. If you have a question, you can search, but you can also just browse through all the similar topics and discussions. Note that the topics don't always reveal what is actually being discussed; you have to go and have a look inside.

Whilst we could have endless debate about what the ideal groups should be, this is not a database, so we don't have the benefits of multiple labelling and cross-referencing, so it is a "best fit" as a first try for now.

If you come and have a look in here, tell us what you think - we'll leave a poll at the top of this post. All the topics in the archive can be replied to; they are not locked, however you cannot make any new posts within the archive - the normal umpiring section is the place to do this.

2. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

By the way, the archives are hidden for the moment - will be unveiling the 26 missing pages soon ;)

Now available, including the poll here

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Not a comment as such, but a question: when will items be archived? How long will they have had to have been 'dormant' before they are moved?

Still not sure about the - what was that word? - taxonomy that has been chosen, but let's wait and see...

4. keely

keely FHF Legend

Replies have been made in the archive, as Diligent noted here, so that's not working. At least one person can't find what he's looking for.

The problem of people not using back threads as a resource isn't solved by shoving them into a bunch of subfolders. That actually discourages people from looking at them - out of sight, out of mind. The solution is to teach members how to search. Then it doesn't matter whether it's in a sub-board or not. But that's not what this is about - it's about letting people ask the same questions all over again, isn't it?

5. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I followed the link that Keely posted without opening a new window. Bad idea. :no: Seems like 5 minutes of clicking to get back here. :growl: To save others the trouble, what I wrote was:
    At the moment only one archive has a running discussion. But if members do browse through the archive as you suggest, and post to archived topics as they allow, it won't be long before we have umpiring discussions in a dozen places.

These archives are starting to get really annoying now, and my thoughts are turning uncharitable (i.e words I wouldn't wish to post on FHF). The silver lining is that failed experiments are like umpiring mistakes - we learn not to try that again. :rolleyes:

Please put it all back in the main Umpiring Corner board.

6. g9

g9 FHF Legend

Have to agree...I thought this might be a good idea when it was suggested, but now I find I read something on the recent posts, go off line and think about it a bit then want to come back and comment or re-read the post, and can't find the thread without looking up the most recent posts of the person who commented. A bit cumbersome methinks.....

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Can someone explain how a new topic can be started in the Archive section? (The clue is in the section's name: it's meant to be an archive.)

Sorry guys, this is all a bit of a mess...

8. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Moved the topic. Don't know how this could have happened, then again I'm not strong on the technicalities :)

9. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

thanks Braxer - fixed permissions.

10. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

No problem at all :)

11. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

The archive is starting to prove quite useful after all - in particular pointing out that only some threads on the raised ball and danger end up in the Sin Bin. Many more continued as reasonably sensible Umpiring Corner discussions.

Suggestions required as to how best to manage it when archive material is relevant to a current discussion. Should members post in the archive to reopen the topic, or post to the current discussion with a link/reference to the archive material, or some better approach?