Talking to players - sending them off

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by lordy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. keely

keely FHF Legend

I agree with aussieump and Diligent. By the time you're at a yellow card, if it's not manifestly obvious what the card is for, you haven't been communicating as well as you could have been up to that point.

I usually don't bring the player over to me whatsoever. Half the time, they're already walking towards the bench as they know. At the most, I'll say, "Sorry, off you go, please" (in a neutral tone of voice) and (try to) direct with an open upwards-facing palm to the technical bench. Then I'll pull out the card, and show my colleague the duration if necessary.

Diligent's correct - green cards are good times to try to communicate. That's what the warning is for - to deter future behaviour. Once you're at a yellow you're not deterring - you're penalizing.

2. lordy

lordy FHF Regular Player

Good advice Keely, I'll try and put it across like that, in the end it could help both of us!

3. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Yes, it was slightly T-I-C, keely, although my training experience has taught me that you learn more if you feel a bit of the discomfort which makes you say to yourself "I won't do THAT again!".

A dismissive "Bye, Bye!" is discourteous and unprofessional, AND usually counter-productive in the aim we should have of calming-down 'agitated' players.

Jane Nockolds said (words to the effect) "Treat them like human beings and there is a reasonable chance they will behave that way when they return to play".