Taking a PC before defenders are in positon

Discussion in 'Penalty Corners; inside the D' started by deegum, May 19, 2008.

1. leaping badger

leaping badger FHF Regular Player

god that worries me now (deegum) as first running, i just realised how much attention i pay to the top of the D when i short is given, will have to remember that

2. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

It wouldn't work on my team since our defence always takes longer than the offence at a PC (pc masks for linesman, glove and box for the runner who is a forward and has to come across 50m).

Even in general, I don't think you can say the defence is really 'ready' when the offence is still huddling, since you think you have more time left. Also, I doubt that the umpire would let the PC play (lower the arm etc) before the offence appeared fully ready as well (and thus not huddling). Honestly, imo, either decision is bad umpiring since he/she shouldn't have let the PC be played like that.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Bangor did it and so did Ulster

4. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

Sounds like something we would do. lol

Might see if we can get away with it next year just once or twice as anymore than that and the secert shall be revealed. Scoring one of those against Methody or Inst would be nice with the school. Especially since they may be expecting a dragflick since we have a good young flicker coming up next year. he was 15 this year and played for the firsts on several occasions. And was playing reguarly for the club fours and has several excursions to the 3s and 2s. Mmm dragflick goals. :p

5. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Which doesn't change my opinion, there is a big disregard to player safety. Because come on, how 'safe' can you put a ball in the goal where a GK and 4 defenders are standing in? Too many feet to hit on the ground, and when the ball is played high there would most likely be 'legitimate evasive action' if any of them just flinched (or sneezed lol) ;)

But hey, if it works, and they get the goal, good on them ;) (just don't try it against me lol)

6. Hockeyjon

Hockeyjon FHF Regular Player

Been off the site for a few days. Im cool with umpires doing your own thing to engage the PC. Its no big deal, I still think 2 cues will bite you on the bum one day. But heh, sun comes up, sun goes down!!! (Unless you live in the west coast of Scotland)

7. TKrobot

TKrobot FHF Legend

Most teams I know have that PC on their list or corner techniques, though its hardly even used because no one expects it to work!
    Sullivan, Campbell, Methody, Inst I have all seen using this play
    even Bandon one of the top Southern School teams used it last years Irish schools at campbell

8. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

They weren't using it when I escaped the country 50 years ago .
    Wonder is it genetic, being so devious? lol
    That would be the Royal Belfast Academical Institution?
    Is it in the Guinness book of records for the longest name? :p

9. justinT

justinT FHF Starter

I endorse this 100%. I know I am dragging up an old topic but I came home fuming last night because this happened to me but decided to wait until this morning to search the forum for more info. Our club is preparing for a tournament so at the end of the drills we play a series of practice matches. Short corner was awarded and I (the GK) stood on the field just over the line so that we could organize ourselves (our entire usual SC defense was on the other team) but the umpire told me to get behind it. I do this, we are still organizing and the attack played the ball. I barely saw it out the corner of my eye, screamed "OUT" and did my best to get into position and hoped that the defenders got to their's

At the end of it I go to him and say "but umps, we weren't ready", he replies "you were behind the line" and went on to talk about the rules saying defenders behind the line and that in a real match the attack will look to play the ball as soon as they can.

I know he was technically right (I think) since I searched the rules and there is nothing there that says the umpire must ensure the defense is ready first but in a situation like this when the defense isn't ready and they are quite obviously not wasting time (and it was a practice match!!!), to me it defies common sense to allow the short to play. Give at least a warning first.