Switch from 37.5 to 36.5

Discussion in 'Which stick? (includes Stick Reviews)' started by Flixy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Flixy

Flixy FHF Newbie

Apologies for asking this if it's stupid but I have always played with a 37.5 stick length - I love the one I have which is now trashed and also discontinued - boo! Somone has helpfully told me they have old stock available but the only length is 36.5. Seriously tempted but I don't want to waste the money to find out I don't like it when I start matches (it's not going to break the bank but it's not one of the cheaper sticks). Has anyone switched down a length and found it affected them? Am I worrying over nothing? I do play indoor with a 36.5 but not really the same thing...

2. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

At the start you'll hit the ball on top of it so I would not change sticks in mid-season. If you play lower division and you're not the engine of the team (meaning every pass you ruin is important) then I'll have a tap with the shorter stick as much as I can before game day.

Keep in mind that length is very important, if you're taller it's always better to stick with longer sticks...
    What stick you're talking about?

3. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

also, be careful about back-hand shots. that missing inch can cause some issues. but, like Rado says, you can adjust over time, so choose your moments and work on it.

4. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

I'm 6ft and changed to a 37.5 last season, I find the some things are easier with the 37 and some easier with a 36. I don't think it will matter if you have pre season etc to get used to it. I find 37.5 is better for running with, as you can be more up right and you can get more power on flicks/pushes etc due to the longer lever you have. Close control dribbling is easier with a 36.5 I find as you're not as cramped.

The thing that is hardest to get used to is tackling as you have less reach and when you're running with the ball you tend to miss it as the stick head is in a different place. All in all I don't think it makes much difference (some tp international players play with 36.5 even though they're way over 6ft), though it may be easier for you to simply get a different stick in a 37.5 and save yourself the hassle.

5. Flixy

Flixy FHF Newbie

Cheers - what you've all said just reinforces what I thought. I think I'll go with my gut and stick to 37.5 and just try to find a new stick I like during the summer.

6. Flixy

Flixy FHF Newbie

Sorry, forgot to reply to a question - it was a Dita EXA 700 - first stick in ages I have really liked. Amazing to run on the ball with. I had a Malik years ago, and liked those, but no one near me stocks Malik so don't want to spend all that cash to not like it/have the hassle of sending it back. I had Grays before the Dita and they were OK but don't like the current Grays ones. Hate having to choose a new stick...

7. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

I went from the 37.5 to a 36.5 a few years back and i haven't looked back.
    I can still drag flick, do all my skills and hey if that ball is passed to me THAT far away, it was a bad pass. :D

In this article on how to choose a hockey stick - they talk about how to choose the right length. Most people it would seem, play with a stick that is too long for them.

8. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Simple thing to do is any chance you get to play over the summer, borrow a friends 36.5 and see how it is. If there is no difference then use that, if its weird you find yourself bending too much etc then stick with 37.5. Topps, there are loads of articles on stick length, its mainly personal, the extra reach is useful though it can make some skills harder as you're more cramped. Its personal preference at the end of the day, there is no correct length for everyone.

9. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

Craggsy, the article does have some fine print that says, that the "sizing should be used as a guideline only. Player preference and style has much to do with the ideal stick length......"

10. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Didn't see that, the dutch method on me says 36.5 so who knows! I heard a rumour that 37.5 is the standard size in AUS/NZ where as in Europe it seems to be 36.5. Maybe they should make 37.0 sticks for us who cant decide!

dylan_nyc likes this.
  11. dylan_nyc

dylan_nyc FHF Newbie

Feel the same about the need for a 37"... I'm stuck going back and forth between a 36.5 and 37.5 and not loving either all the time.