Spending a grant

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by aussieump, Jul 10, 2008.

1. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

If your club was to be awarded a grant for umpire development, say of around 1000 dollars or pounds what would you want or expect your club to spend it on and how.

I know it is not a big amount but it is enough to start a project.

Suggestions. I know what I have suggested but looking for other peoples views

2. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

1. Wireless communication systems (enough to support one umpire coach and four officiating umpires). The system should allow the two umpires on one game to talk with each other, and for the umpire coach to speak with any or all of the umpires officiating. This supports one umpire coach to make observations of up to four umpires officiating in side-by-side games. A few hundred dollars.

2. Video camera, iMovie or Final Cut Express, and DVDs. Record umpires you're working on developing with audio observations by umpire coach. Copy to DVD, give to candidate. A few hundred dollars.

3. Balance to pay umpire coaches. A few hundred dollars.

3. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

I put together a seminar facilitated by Jane Nockolds that cost about $6000. The majority of it was participant funded but some monies did come from grants, around the same amount as you mentioned. Keely mentioned it in a post back in May.

Perhaps you can find someone 'less expensive' (ie living close by, less expensive to bring in)? It was a tremendous experience for all of us and I've already noticed the difference in many of the umpires who attended.

Best of luck!

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yes to video equipment - with lots of spare batteries for capturing a full day's hockey.

Spend the rest on travelling expenses for umpire coaches and famous umpires to spend a weekend with the club - a few times a season. After a season or two the grant will all be spent, but I'll bet your umpires get such a boost that it'll continue on a club-funded basis.

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Diligent is spot on. Nothing to add.

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

I like Diligent's idea as well. :yes:

7. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Did suggest that officials had accreditation fees reimbursed by club to encourage them to complete the theory component. Reimbursed, not paid up front to ensure they did undertake the theory component. Not that hard when the theory is conducted online. So no travel needed to attended a seminar

Suggested travel expenses for these officials to attend assessment days at an upcoming tournament. Away from their home association.

Do have in the pipeline additional grant for equipment such as DVD TV, Video Camera and a uniform grant.

Another project: Have done a similar program for another club recently. Grants totalled just under $3500 with the club to kick in a similar amount to ensure the project was able to be run over a few years. I did say a project and we all know that umpire/officials development takes time and resources

The grant must be spent within a limited time frame around six months, not many grants allow too long a timeframe. Generally must be spent within that current financial year. The club mentioned in the another project , the grant money was expunged within the time limit and the club funds to continue the project into the second year.

thanks

8. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

* payment/subsidy to cover regular umpire coaching (weekly) over a season
    * % balance contingent on a number (1/2/?) umpires achieving next assessable level, and/or
    * a further payment/subsidy next season on the proviso that the trainees continue umpiring within the
    competitions and umpire appointments for the association.

reasoning? The association should want to see a positive outcome, measured both by the measurable assessable
    outcomes of the trainee(s) and the increase in the participation of the umpiring pool.
    Tying these outcomes to the funding grant to a club should be reasonable criteria/conditions for receiving grants.

Other note is that while intensives such as umpiring at a competition w/end are good, and an efficient way of
    overseeing a large number of candidates, it is the regular, continuous experience and oversight over a season,
    together with a varied challenge to the participants, that will have the greatest desired improvement.