SOME players care

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by foozbear, Oct 7, 2008.

1. banana

banana FHF Starter

Very very true, Controller. I almost think it should be compulsory for players to have attended a course.

I know that since doing the Level 1 course and 'attempting' some practice games, that I have even more respect for umpires than before.

2. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

something constructive, like:
    ?
    OK, will do

and it's not just hockey that's full of people who believe they're always right - the whole world is.

And don't worry, I don't feel targetted. I'll just take it on the chin eh? ;)

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Arrogant people, you mean?

4. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

It does not greatly worry me if players do not shake my hand, but I will always offer first,

I will always walk towards my co-umpire and walk off with them after shaking their hand, we went on as a team and we should walk off as a team.

I do the same thing at half time

AU

5. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

TBH, I dont normaly shake the umpires hand.... not because I dont want to, but my main aim is to shake the other goalies hand, and to shake as many peoples hands as possible inbetween. By the time Ive done that, the umpires are normally off the pitch somewhere, although I did manage to shake both the umpires hands today!

viks

6. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Yes it is always good to have someone acknowledge your performance on the field - it is more rewarding when it perhaps hasn't been your best performance, but nevertheless still appreciated.

Justin's comments are very pertinent - no matter how you manage it, there will always be a time when you get a game that stretches your capabilities - {in fact I believe that if you want to improve you have to seek to take on some challenging appointments} No self respecting umpire would ever seek any special consideration under those circumstances, but if the environmental backchat, comments, and intimidation come into play - well it may provide a very short term advantage for that team for that game, but no good comes out of it in the long term, either for the team, the competition or the umpires.

At a guess, I'd say that the teams that just play good, skilled hockey and get on with the job generally accept the standard of umpiring they get on the basis that the outcome is determined by the teams and the play on the day, with little influence one way or the other from whatever umpiring is taking place.

It's the teams that are into the technicalities of the rules who are looking for every advantage they can get from their {the rules} application who are more likely to be very "sensitive" to the level and standard of officiating they receive, and are the ones most likely to be heard to say that it was "that one decision that cost us the game"

7. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

And of course those two quotes sit together really well...

Maybe I was just brought up in a different way, but I was taught and encouraged always to respect my opponents, the officials, and my own team.
    That includes always offering a hand, and shaking one when offered by another, regardless of what's happened in the previous 70/90/however many minutes.
    It's called sportsmanship.

8. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

wow who would have thought a positive post would draw such anger.

I have read through everyones posts and many people get the basic idea its important to still have sportsmanship.

to archus: DO YOU shake the other teams hand...even if they beat you? what if a player because of his careless backswing smashed your hand and you couldnt play the rest of the game?

Why does the UMPIRE have to draw such IRE. When you are 100% on the field all the time...then Ill understand your misgivings. Unfortunatly we are all human. and umpires only have 4 eyes between em to see offences (and corresponding interpretations.) the players have 22 AND are more than likely ALL in a different position.

I can share a story I have experienced lately....we have certan teams froma certain culture that believe its ok to rampage up to the umpire...to appeal for calls....to play not in the best intrests of hockey as a whole.
    This past game, their captain( though I didnt know it at the time) was involved in a teeth rattling tackle. He won the free hit and it was no problem....but watching him in the 5 minutes afterwards he started holding his eyes and shaking his head...walking a little erraticaly.
    I stopped time at best chance and called for the captain...he of course started over looking puzzled. I immediatly walked to him ( a move different than a carding call) this eased him a little. I explained it looked like he took a little knock...does he feel ok..I noticed you walking and acting funny, do you feel ok or do you need a moment to compose. I would feel better for you if you could substitute and come back when you feel in the game.
    He said ok...he went off and I discussd with my other umpire what happened. players from his team came up and asked me why he was sent off. I said he wasnt sent off...he got a knock and I was worried for him.
    He must have explained everything at half time...for the second half...NOT one abuse...not one appeal...and everyone shaking hands.

Now ALL teams from that culture have stopped harrassment to a great degree.

the point of the story?
    that if enough positive words are spoken we can change others views of us. this is the same between umpire and player relationships.

the umpire you abuse today....may not have your back in a following game.

we all go into a game with a clean mind (well I do and some others too) we dont bring anything from previous games to our current one...but it will go worse for you if you open up again in that game. the memories will come back.....and lets face it...who doesnt like an umpires good graces with some 50/50 balls?

I also believe that the sportsmanship behaviour is also in MANY associations codes of conduct.

just my thoughts. I hope the hate for umpires disipates before it consumes you.

9. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

I absolutely hate bloody umpires. :growl:
    Forwards aren't umpires only because they are too thick to even reach an IQ of zero which is the only prerequisite umpires have to reach apart from being blind.... Mutter mutter snarl
    Generally I hate every basket of flowers on the pitch and have been known to refuse to shake the odd hand when highly motivated by appalling, unsportmanlike behaviour from the other team.
    No matter how over the top out of control agro I feel at the end of a match or during it for that matter, I take my helmet off and go to the tech bench and sincerely thank both umpires because without them I get no legal way to get the shite off my liver.

Ave Umpires! without you no game!!!!

ANIMAL

10. Su*x

Su*x FHF Regular Player

lol nice words animal!!!

yep i always make a point to shake both umpires hands, even if I may not have agreed with some calls they have made throughout th game I do appreciate that they;ve given up their time for very little thanks and appreciation!!!

11. controller

controller FHF Legend

Nicely put Animal. made me rofl

12. Resslys Agent

Resslys Agent FHF Starter

Then you get the player who reluctantly shakes your hand only to want to stand and discuss 'every' decision you called against him (very rarely do women do this)! You offer to discuss it in the bar, over a drink and in the bar they never come to discuss this. Maybe during the time between the end of the game and the appearing in the bar, they have clamed doen and discussed things with team mates and colleagues who may have been able to explain things. Therefore, we should all just get off the pitch, change and then shake each others hands in the bar!
    Or take the attitude of true warrior sportsmen, rugby players, form a 'tunnel' and applaud everyone, opposition and officials, from the pitch!

13. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

I shake everyones hand I can players, coaches and umpires. Just sportsman like. The umpires have given up their time to come out and umpire so you can run around, kick a ball, fall over and hopefully win. While the umpire keeps you safe and everyone under control.
    I think that deserves a handshake no matter what the outcome is.

14. ArchusXV

ArchusXV FHF Regular Player

bar it is! :rolleyes:

15. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

I'm with Aussieump, walking off with your co as a team is more important and Animal has the best solution, act sincerley.

[​IMG]

16. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I really don't mind if I get handshakes after the game, and as a player I shook hands with anyone I passed on my way off the pitch, but I (nearly) always thanked the umpires....it's just courtesy. I say 'nearly' because they were sometimes off to their next game before the chance arose! I didn't feel a need to seek out every player...perhaps someone who's played especially well...

It's nice if you get a sincere compliment from a player, such as one I got about keeping control of a 'difficult' game, but I found they were few & far between (maybe that says something about my umpiring ;) )
    Apart from that, a simple acknowledgment is, IMO, very acceptable..... just a "Thanks, Ump!" suffices.

17. ArchusXV

ArchusXV FHF Regular Player

see im different i shake the hand of every member of the oppostion on the pitch, if not in the club afterwards.

18. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

Well said Animal.
    No umpire.. No game...
    I make an effort to shake their hands and say THANKS. Plus, I apologize to them for anything that I may have said not in line with the spirit of the game.

19. sase-31-19

sase-31-19 FHF Regular Player

the thing is,
    imagine a game with NO Umpire. there would be wrong calls everywhere, huge bias, and nothing would ever get done.
    even if an Umpire doesnt do the best of jobs, both Player AND and Umpire have off-days. as you should all well know. the fact that they are giving up part of their day which could be spent doing endless other things is a privilage, not a right.
    where I play we do not have a compulsory handshake with the Umpire. its an unspoken guideline that they are included in a team cheer at the end of the game, but not compulsory. but where i play, everyone understands how much the Umpire is helping them, and they are always included.
    I, Personally, have never felt better after a hockey game (as an umpire) than when a player or friendly coach comes up to me to thank me for giving up my time to help out. its one of the best feelings in the world. (especially when umpiring the cute little metre-tall kids ^_^)

20. Resslys Agent

Resslys Agent FHF Starter

This is not quite true, most umpires are giving up all of their day to umpire!
    Example, game commences 13:30 in Manchester, umpire is from Durham/
    Has arranged to meet colleague 1-1.5 hours before the game, so will be there 12-12.30.
    Durham to Manchester is about 2.5hours plus an additional 30 mins for traffic, so you leave about 9am
    13:30 start, hockey match an hour and 15 mins (including 1/2 time). 30 mins shower after and at least an hour 'chatting' to teams/colleague. Leave @ 4.30 then the 2.5 hours home, brings you nicely to 7pm!
    10 hours out of the house because we enjoy it, so a little thanks is probably the least teams should give!

Best experience I've had of people saying thanks was in South Africa over the summer when I think almost every player from every side came and said thanks umpire or in the schoolboy/university sides, thank you sir! And there were players who didn't always agree with my decisions on the game!
    Maybe standards in British society are slipping!