SOME players care

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by foozbear, Oct 7, 2008.

1. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

recently I recieved this from a person that I umpired the other night.

Out of the blue and a welcome relief to me after the last feww weeks Ive had.

blank and blank,

I would like to thank you for umpiring the match on Friday night. I thought that you did an excellent job in controlling the game and adhering to the player code of conduct.

From my recent playing experience, I think that you both did an excellent job in trying to shut up the banter and chatter that goes on.

I hope that other umpires follow in your foot steps and continue to work hard to clean up our game.

Thanks again!

seeing this has given me a renewed spark to persevere. While as umpires we can make mistakes, its how we handle those mistakes that define who we can be. Sometimes you can come out of a game and think that your the most hated person on the field. this letter has shown me something else.

I post to show others that not all players have it in for umpires.

2. johnreiss

johnreiss FHF Top Player

Firstly I must apolgise for the late reply, but my blood pressure has dropped 20 . I wonder how many umpires are actually praised as opposed to criticised, badgered, sworn at etc. Yes, we get the customary handshake at the end (which may or may not be genuine), it makes a very pleasant change for someone to actually take the trouble to write to you.

Whoever sent you that note should be applauded and thanked as it makes such a pleasdant change from the norm.

Thanks for posting this.

3. ArchusXV

ArchusXV FHF Regular Player

i only shake an umpires hand if i believe they peroformed to the bets of their ability. It may be rude but at least it wont be false.

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

You should always shake the umpire's hand - in the same way that they will always shake yours.
    You've tried your best to play well. Assume they've umpired as well as they can.
    No need to feel false about it; why be rude and refuse to shake?

SOME umpires care as well. :sorry:

5. bigpez5

bigpez5 FHF Regular Player

i'd always shake the umpires hand i didn't save everything chances are they didn't call everything no ones perfect

6. ArchusXV

i play lower league, if you'd seen some of the raw bias and sheer incompetence you wouldnt shake their hand either. I hope that by not doing it they actually realise they've done smoething wrong, like you said "umpires care too"

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

So, if I were to umpire your game and after 70 minutes I judged that you'd played incompetently - and, let's face it, as I umpire EHL hockey and you play at "lower league" levels my definition of competence might be a little different to yours - how would you feel if I refused to shake your hand at the end of the game, Archus? Would you honestly "realise that you'd done something wrong"? Or would it be more likely that you'd think I was just a tad arrogant?

How hard can it be to shake someone's hand and say, "Thanks for giving up your afternoon - time that I realise you could have spent with your family, or in the pub, or in front of the TV - so that I could play hockey. I really appreciate that."?

8. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I am involved in developing the umpires who must umpire lower leagues, and on occasions I have to umpire lower league games myself, and I agree it is a whole different world.

The old players know all the tricks of demeaning and undermining novice umpires. They want one lot of interpretations in their circle and a completely different set at the other end. They keep nagging until the umpire is giving it their way, except sometimes the other team wins that contest. Then after giving both umpires 70 minutes of pure hell, they cap it all by refusing a simple handshake.

If you can't shake the umpire's hand to congratulate their performance, then shake it as an apology for yours. :sorry:

9. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Yes, when you umpire a game which is a bit 'out of your comfort zone' you really do have to grit your teeth and be assertive, as otherwise there are some players who will do their best to intimidate you. What they don't seem to realise is that such behaviour usually makes a 'timid' umpire worse.

Fortunately, when I have experienced this (being 'press-ganged' into doing a 'higher level' game because no-one else was available), I had enough miles on the clock to be able to say(with just a hint of a smile), after a lot of 'back-chat', "Well I may not be as good as you'd want, but I'm the best that you've got, so I suggest you just get on with it!".

No-one, player or umpire, goes-out with the intention of doing less than his/her best....but sometimes we all have a bad day at the office.

10. controller

controller FHF Legend

Like others, I train and care for new umpires and part of my instructions to them is to always shake hands with all players after the game even if you have had a bad game or feel you have had a bad game.

So like others on here, not shaking somebody hand because you feel that they had not had a good game how would you feel if the umpires just walked off the pitch, jumped into the cars and just left.

If I have saw an umpire doing that, I would not be happy and I would say something.

11. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Niceley put Red, and saved me from having to type it all myself!

Personallly, if someone refused to shake my hand I wouldn't give two hoots.. I was once told by a very intuitve UM that if a player is a pri*k on the field he more than likely is one off the filed!! Absolutely spot on!
    There are a few players and coaches that I take any real notice of in the appraisal of my umpiring, however, the ones that I have grown to respect I take notice of what they say.. bad aswell as good!

Umpiires are humans..flesh and blood, and if anyone thinks that being rude, arrogant and nasty to them is going to help theim get better decisions are very much misled.

Sorry for the rant.. Well done Archus, you stopped me from lurking and got me to post!! I look forward to the day, when our paths will cross with Keely or Red as my coleeague.. trust me.. you'll be cannonfodder!

*Note to onesself must contact MHUA to arrage appt. Anyone available?*

12. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Errm... ???

I approach each game with a clean slate CH so wouldn't have marked anyone's card beforehand. I wouldn't treat Archus as "cannon fodder" without good cause so to do.

13. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Always the diplomat!! rofl

"Praemonitus, praemunitus"

I know I can count on Keely!! :kiss:

14. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

For those of us who are not Latin scholars and wondering, but too lazy to look it up...."Forewarned is Forearmed" :)

15. keely

keely FHF Legend

Hey, what happens on FHF stays on FHF. :)

16. Hockeyjon

Hockeyjon FHF Regular Player

Cardhappy
    I too have been lurking recently
    Archus is well out of order for the reasons well posted. As usual players dwell on the poor decisions made in a game and quickly forget the positive aspects of the umpires performance.
    That is his problem, but please don't consider lowering yourself to his level. I have to echo reds post. The day I go onto a pitch with an agenda against a team or player I will retire, because then the lunatics will have won!

17. controller

controller FHF Legend

If you play for the team in your Bio, who during my time in the Midlands area were outspoken especially when they thought they were being done by the league made sure they had a say no matter what.

So, I gather there has been no change at your club, why don't you go to the league or your divisional rep and tell them that you have a problem with the standard of umpiring in your division.

No doubt, they will tell you that there is not enough umpires in the area, so why don't you do what we have done at our club, we are going through a series of umpire courses, where we try and get at least 5 people from the club on the course each time, so, we have now 30 umpires instead of 3 when I joined the club 4 years ago.

You can only do something about it and say something about it when you are doing something yourself.

18. ArchusXV

i dotn refuse i just miss them out :p

and yes it is arrogant, im fully aware that it is

19. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

i'd call it pathetic myself, rather than arrogant

20. ArchusXV

Edit: There is no room for personal attacks here. Please keep it civil.