signals

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by nerd_is_the_word, Oct 3, 2006.

1. nadeem

nadeem FHF Regular Player

although i m a player,not an umpire but having seen so much of hockey & played at the highest level,the best way to call a player is by pointing ur palm towards ur own body & telling him to come.u walk a couple of paces .towards the player & then walking backwards towards a neutral corner.to me this is a very descent way.it gives some seconds to the player to cool down

nadeem

2. David Gillard

David Gillard FHF Regular Player

MAGPIE

It gave me a start as I was not expecting such a blatant hack from the player that did it, the
    ball was going over the back line and the attacker was trying to regather it, it looked like he may do so, so the defender made damm sure he did not by belting his stick.

As I hag said the ball was most likely going over the back line that is why the attacker was CHUCKLING, I was not going to give the Defender a card as I figured that A dumm mistake
    like that a corner was a fair punishment if the attacker had had better control the DEFENDER
    would of got a rest. AND I was concentrateing as the 1 of teams involved is arguebly the best 1 in Bundy and the other 1 IS the best Club team in our area at the moment so if You are not concentrateing you are asking for trouble as both try it on all the time.

3. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

yeah redumpire, i know everyone gets told that when they start umpiring, and i umpire like that as well. Normally though, when there is a BIG sound, its a stickcheck, cause its hard for the attacker to swing hard enough without making it obvious, and the big sounds are always the one were they have gathered the stick then the ball

4. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

NITW next season when you are in our neck of the woods I'll show you some veteran players who will take their stick off the ball whin dribiling him the attackers stick (big noise) then put the stick back in contact with the ball and most umps will give them a free hit, trust me it is very subtle and not easy to pick (it is that quick).

5. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

yeah true magpie, i stand corrected.

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

Here's my tip: when a tackle is just about to occur, take your eyes away from the attacker and look at the defender. Look at their stick and body positioning. Then the attacker moves in with the ball, and suddenly you're watching as the defender has their stick low and unmoving as the attacker comes in and chucks their stick against the defender's. It becomes so much easier to spot who caused the noise in this manner. Of course, you can also make the determination that there was noise but no foul.

Just remember us little people at the FHF and me in particular when you're doing the Olympic final with your astonishing level of accuracy.

:D

7. David Gillard

David Gillard FHF Regular Player

Ahh The old penalise the noise trick don't you hate that
    There is a person up this way that is very good at getting hits that way, Animal knows him I only know him by sight .
    It is a hard 1 to pick sometimes a bit like the person with the ball lifting their stick up into a defenders stick who is comming from the side and stick off the ground the attackers really hate getting caught on that one.

8. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

over here the stickobstruction was used allot by a few players they had the ball and just for a quick second hitted their stick into the defenders stick wich caused a noise that sounds like the defender is hitting the attackers stick but fortunatly the umps have becomed better at recognising this

9. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

I always get flack for calling stick obstruction on defenders when they put their stick in front the ball while the attacker is winding up for a shot, thus denying them access to the ball without actually playing it (let me know if this description isn't very clear, it sounded better in my head than it looks on the screen...then again, I know what I'm describing!). 9/10 the defender (and/or the coach!) yells "but I was hacked!" to which I usually reply, "You obstructed the hit while making no attempt to play the ball" and signal a penalty corner; they usually shut up after that.

10. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Correct call, Cascadia (apart from the spelling of 'flak' ....German: "Fl(ieger)a(bwehr)k(anone) anti-aircraft gun" :p )

11. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Woohoo! I got something right! Though I am rather ashamed at my own poor spelling: apart from being an English major, my whole family is German...*hides in a corner*

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Actually, Cascadia, the dictionary does give 'flaCk' as an alternative spelling (presumably following prolonged ...incorrect....usage!) :)

13. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Ah, but which dictionary; that alternative's not in the Concise Oxford... :p

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

The correct call... stressing that the defenders are coming in late and making no attempt to play the ball. If the defenders are in tackling position with their stick stationary and the attacker hits their stick while attempting a shot in such a way it disadvantages the defender... then it goes the other way.

15. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

For sure. It's just that everyone hears the big noise, and saw the attacker's stick coming down so *clearly* they were "hacking" the defender...I have had some coaches get pretty upset from the sidelines when I call it against the defender - then again, what the hell can they see from the sidelines? Of course, if it's called the other way when my team is defending, I naturally keep my mouth shut. :D