signals

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by nerd_is_the_word, Oct 3, 2006.

1. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

i was just wondering, how do you signal? like when your blowing a regular hit as well as blowing short corners? what way do you think looks the best?

I personally signal in general field play with my arm straight out (not pointing up or down but flat) with the one finger point. On my PC's i tend to point a bit higher, also i tend to have my arms rather wide, i get told i look like im asking players for a bear hug.

2. hullabaloo

hullabaloo FHF Regular Player

I know of a few umpires whose arms are so wide the kids and spectators don't know whether they're calling a short corner or a sixteen.

i go for the one finger point too.

3. Greig1911

Greig1911 FHF Regular Player

Defiantely the 1 fingered point.

At PC arm shoulder width apart 1 finger point on each hand into middle of goals at shoulder height

4. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

I dont have a set way of signalling, im just laid back and relaxed and just go with my feelings :D

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

NITW et al..... I'd encourage you to think about varying your signals in order to express different emotions. In the mirror, do an open-palmed signal, then a finger-point. When you finger-point your arm tends to naturally go straighter, everything stiffens up. You look more stern. Nothing says "Hey!" like a finger-point.

So, when there's an accidental little foul, an open palm, slight bend in the elbow accompanied by a quieter and shorter whistle can be a nice variation. At times, you can mix in a real, "hey, sorry mate" kind of motion, especially when calling corners - a couple of my friends do this really nicely, after signalling the corner they lower their arms, bend them a little and turn up the palms, shrug the shoulders, tilt the head a bit - it shows some compassion, or even "that one was so obvious, I didn't have a choice but to call it" as a way to circumvent appealing.

Then, when the bigger foul happens and you want to send a message that you're not happy, pull out the finger-point and a longer, louder whistle. You can add your facial expressions to that as well - now, it's a really clear message you're sending.

Variety helps you get the attention of the players and body language is one of the first tools in your repetoire of game management skills.

Hope that helps!

6. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

Very well replied Keely, I could not have said it any better my self! I am also a umpire and like my umpiring a lot and feel the same way about it as you. Well done! : :D

Cheers

Sp@m

7. keely

keely FHF Legend

Aw, schucks. :-[

8. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Nice, comprehensive answer/advice, keely :)

Hwever, I was once told, by a 'watcher', that some cultures(in Asia, IIRC) find the pointed finger offensive so I should stick with the open hand, and I've tried to do so.

Has anyone else come across this?

I notice that many, if not most, FIH umps at the WCs were using pointed fingers, so maybe it's another 'hockey myth"?
    (I'll have to do some Googling to see if I can find anything!)

Here's all I could find:
    1. Waving your index finger in a curl towards you as in telling people to
    "come here." This is how you call a dog in the Philippines! If the
    authorities catch you doing this, they will arrest you and break your
    finger! This is my travel mini-advisory, especially for Americans and
    other travellers. Avoid it at all costs!
    (Also offensive in Hong Kong)
    2. Well...there's the one that's particularly offensive to Arabs, and
    Greeks. Instead of the middle finger, the index finger is held up along
    with the phrase, "Yuppa, Yuppa".
    3,(in Nepal, not a great hockey nation!) # Remember not to point with a single finger but use a flat extended hand especially to indicate a sacred object or place.
    4. When pointing, Indonesians will point with the thumb extended, instead of the forefinger.

Ah, HERE it is, FWIW:
    "When you wish to point in India, use your chin or your full hand, but never just a single finger, as this is used only with inferiors. The chin is not used to signal to superiors. The best way to point is with the full hand.

India is a fairly important hockey-playing nation :)

BTW, beware of giving "Up 10" to a Pakistani team;
    "An obscene gesture in Pakistan is the closed fist. :eek:

9. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Can you give us a reference for this quote justin? It sounds extremely unlikely! Are you sure it's not just a traveller's tale?

The rest of your post shows how necessary it is to be aware of all aspects of your body language and the fact that body language varies from culture to culture.

10. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

"Can you give us a reference for this quote justin? "

Sorry, not without Googling again (I think I used "offensive finger gestures" as my key words).

It may be a 'travellers tale' but it does no harm, IMO, to follow the advice, just in case!

I was certainly taught (as are top football refs, apparently) not to beckon with a crooked index finger for "Come here, please!", but rather to use the whole, flat hand and arm, palm-up, as 'the finger' looks a bit like "Oi, you, come 'ere, NOW!" and may inflame things further!

11. keely

keely FHF Legend

I've learned from the Asian umpires not to crook my finger to ask a player to come over for their card - I think it was Yazuko that I first saw extend her hand, palm up, and then bend all her fingers together while bringing her hand back towards her body. Much more elegant and yes, I think when the player is already likely in high temper, less confrontational.

I have no problem modifying my "non-standard" signals to accomodate cultural differences. It concerns me that something like the standard (as set out in the rule book) "advance 10" signal could be an issue in any country. I still have to use it (unless told by my UMs not to, of course!!!).

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I suspect that a raised fist, loosely clenched and with knuckles facing away(Up 10 signal) would appear less confronational than a tight fist with knuckles toward you.

Might be worth checking with the Pakistan Embassy :D

I personally don't like 'finger-pointing' in any circumstances(I often find it rude), and I think it was in Saudi Arabia I was advised to avoid it, even for 'indicating direction' and told to use my whole hand.

It's an easy habit to change, anyway, I've found.

13. nerd_is_the_word

on the subject of calling people over, what do you do about that? i have been told different things by different people, some say walk slightly over to them, some say make them come to u, some say walk to a empty space and call them over to u there. personally i call them over to me and take a few steps back so that not too many players are close to me. Also im a big fan of the 'do it over coffee' school of thought, tell them what they did wrong and show them the card, if you want to have a chat, then do it over coffee after the game.

14. David Gillard

David Gillard FHF Regular Player

I like to walk a few steps towards the player but to a vacant spot with no one too close.

It can be hard not to say something sometimes, I was doing a premier leauge game and
    was close to the goal box and just behind the backline when there was a big stick clash
    and it gave me a bit of a start and I said sh''': as I awarded the short corner, The attacker
    walked away chuckling but the defender got all upset and accused me of saying [ that was
    SH":] so I said sorry and look instead of a Yellow you can get away with a Green card and he
    was happy, I was not going to card him anyway but it calmed things down , So I suppose the
    body language can mean a lot.Did not put a lot of store into Body language until a coulple of
    decades ago.
    It was a BIG noise and it was a FOUL Animal not that you had anything to do with it

15. nerd_is_the_word

yeah i find myself accidently making little comments like that as well. Sometimes i find that if you can do them well (like without swearing or being abusive) they can actually be constructive to the play. comments like 'he was never going to get to the ball' or 'wooa, that tackle was bad and you know it' i find can tend to give the players a quick overview of what your blowing the penalty for. But then again if you say it too often or at the wrong times it can just add fuel to the fire

16. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

If there was no blood then it wasn't a foul, it was only a lesson for the hamfisted forward. I did not deserve a green card!!!! Bloody umpires mutter mutter

ANIMAL

17. keely

keely FHF Legend

It's all about context, the mood of the game, where everyone else are. If you can avoid walking away so the player has even further to go, I think you should avoid it - it just looks arrogant. But if you need to avoid other players and they're already right next to you, pull them away from the crowd. You also might need to take some more time in getting to the card - delaying matters a bit can break the cycle of pissiness by taking away the atmosphere and momentum.

As for conversations, again, it depends. Generally, the rule of thumb is to keep it concise. I'll spend slightly more time with a captain because I'm trying to win them over, make them my buddy, cross them over to the good side so they'll do all the disciplining of the team for me. I may chat more when again, I'm trying to delay to break the cycle. Still, it can backfire on you if the player is really up at it (or worse, you're on fire!).

You'll have your own "rule of thumb" and then the more cards you give, the more you realize when the general approach didn't work for you and you develop an instinct on how to deviate from the formula when it's needed.

18. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Three things, why did it give you a start, you should have been concentrating, if the attacker walked away chuckling why was he chuckling and so what if there was a big noise that is all it was noise what was the PC really for? :D

19. nerd_is_the_word

Magpie we both know that umpires dont concentrate during the game, we just point and hope :D and im guessing that if there was a big sound then normally that equates to a stick check, little noises you can get away with, but a big noise almost always gets blown as a stick check

20. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Whoa! HUGE assumption Nitw. Supposing the guy in possession of the ball hits the defender's stick to make you think there was a stick-check? I've seen it done.

You can only blow what you actually see, not what you think you've seen, or heard.