Management & Communication Signal for 23m restart - video clips?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by Diligent, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

... except for the confusion amongst older players at your signal of "up 10".

Solution to "is it a FHD?" is surely, simply, not rushing it, but then not holding too long at the end of the swing. Straight arm with hand at eye level makes visibility consistent with other signals.

But mainly, it's the standard signal in the current rules.... except with normal arm height and hand shape, neither "well below shoulder level" nor "drawing a line". I think I've sorted it. Don't need a video any more.

#21 Diligent, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

All good points, to be fair. However, I've seen precisely zero confusion at any match I've been at where this signal has been used, and that's a lot of matches since Jan 2017...

3. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

"...with the arm well below shoulder level..." (from the book)

An older player who is thinking that an umpire is signalling an "up 10" for a ball that is across the back-line, is probably confused about a lot of things so, we should be kind to them.

4. UmpireHockey.com

I don't disagree. I just think it is a sucko signal and that there is a better alternative.

5. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Agree that an arm "well below shoulder level" makes it a hard-to-see signal - sucko, if you like. Also, trying to "draw a line" seems untidy and not necessary. But no need for a completely different signal - just tidy it up, as we see in the videos that @redumpire so kindly linked.

Same as FIH simplified the self-pass with the benefit of experience, so they surely will with this.

6. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Here's another question: what about the support signal, to confirm to a colleague whether last touch was defender or attacker?

The traditional one-arm 'point to a corner' remains an effective contrast to both arms out for a 15. Should we update that static signal to an arm movement, to match the new signal? Bear in mind that most umpires do not benefit from radios.

7. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Agreed.
    No. Why does anything need to change?

We really ARE looking for solutions to problems that don't exist here, aren't we...?

Krebsy, AJF and Bondy like this.
  8. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

Radios????

AJF likes this.
  9. Diligent

FHF Moderator

For consistency. To let go of the obsolete signal in favour of the current correct signal.
    Yes: got me there. :rolleyes:

But it was so quiet around here. The questions that needed answers have all been answered. So we move on to questions. Full stop. There are lots of questions out there that don't have answers. Yes, yes, we don't need the answers, but they're out there all the same. ;) Makes some noise, some buzz. Keeps the wheels turning until the (northern hemisphere) season starts and we've got some real problems to solve.

There. I've done it now. Thread's probably finished. :oops:

#29 Diligent, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    redumpire and Ravennghorde like this.
  10. redumpire

FHF Moderator

So this thread is the FHF Umpiring Corner's equivalent of click-bait? Gotcha...

11. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    I didn't believe my eyes when I clicked on this video of a 23m restart!

redumpire likes this.
  12. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

FIH don't want you to know this secret signal but they can't stop you using it!

redumpire, AJF and Mac like this.
  13. UmpireHockey.com

One arm up, hand in a fist. Easy. Readily visible. Etc.

14. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

Great idea, would work well in the world cup, but not so sure it would go down well in the olympics

(JC + TS)

15. UmpireHockey.com

No gloves!

16. VincentOhio

VincentOhio FHF Starter

The simplicity, yet absolute truth of your description of signal is amazing, really!

So going to do that this Sunday...

17. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Could it be said that the players who do not know of the "new" signal are the ones who routinely take the ball to the mark 5m up the sideline from the baseline anyway and any attempt to chivvy them on is futile when an entire pitch of players is bellowing at them to move and they are stood there completely unaware despite multiple attempts to inform them?

18. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

I relate to this.

Unfortunately a mind state caused by those umpires who quibble that the ball is not in the right place and needs to move 3.1413 cm before the FH is taken. Said umpires willing to take until the end of eternity to get the ball 'correctly' positioned. Hardly surprising that when said umpire wants it moved to a totally unrelated spot to the 5M mark the player no longer had a clue.
    And before you ask I wasn't that happy with my colleague.

19. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Yeah annoys me too, you have to start balancing your umpiring so that teams don't see it as unfair that they weren't allowed to take a quick FH because of said 3cm (surely 3.1415cm though?) adjustment while I let them go so long as it's not creating an advantage and not several metres off the spot, at least in the middle half of the pitch. Due to the advantages gained from a FH taken in the wrong place in the 23m I'll be quicker to reset it if they try and go quickly cutting out defenders however, though never something as picky as that - around 1/2m or so if I feel it's necessary

20. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

May I respectfully suggest trying not to let them take it at all if doing so will require a reset.

Early management of hits helps set the standard for later but a reset hit, especially within the 23m, is a completely wasted opportunity for the attack.
    Whereas a quick peep on the whistle and a correction to the position might still allow a genuine advantage to the attack but also not disadvantage the defence by being unfairly eliminated from the game.

Totally agree however that +/- 3cm makes not a jot of difference.