should I buy a adidas hs1 xtreme 24 ?

Discussion in 'Which stick? (includes Stick Reviews)' started by HockeyFwd, Dec 4, 2011.

1. HockeyFwd

HockeyFwd FHF Newbie

I bought a Adidas TX24 XXtreme 24 Composite Hockey Stick last Tuesday. After one reverse hit it split in half, at training on Wednesday. I exchanged it on Thursday for the Adidas LX24 Adibow 24 Composite Hockey Stick and broke that after 3 reverse hits before Saturday's match! Unreal. Has anyone else experienced similar breakages? Was thinking of getting another and putting stick magic on it or kevlar tape? They seem so weak. Strange from Adidas.

2. alex.miles

alex.miles FHF Star Player

I have three older Adidas HS 1.0s and haven't had any problems like that. I did get a big chip right at the bottom of my head on the flat side, but I suspect that's my own fault - tend to hit things when I conceded goals! :p

Sounds like really, really unfortunate streak you've had. At least the shop's being good about returns/exchanges. Did they mention that other customers are having issues with those sticks/Adidas in general?

Those are the new Adidas, right? The ones with this new carbon "dual rod" at the back?

3. HockeyFwd

HockeyFwd FHF Newbie

I've always had Adidas since they started in hockey and had no problems. They did say there's been some issues with the Orange TX24 XXtreme 24 on the reverse but the LX24 Adibow 24 was supposed to be fine. Yep, the new Adidas with the dual rods. The touch and open side striking is incredible but sadly the reverse side fails. Stop conceding own goals! ;)

BHNSWHC likes this.
  4. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Low 70, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    I've had several problems with Adidas stick over the past few years, so much so that I refused to buy one this year despite my love for the sticks when they are actually in one piece.

I started using Adidas the first year they brought out the HS1.0 (Silver carbon colour) - that broke in half near the handle after a bad tackle from the opposition. Purchased the black and white HS1 the year after and that snapped in two after about 3 months from an open side hit.

Last season I had both the XTreme (black and green one) and the Adibow (black and blue one). The Xtreme snapped in half again, this time right near the head of the stick, and the Adibow completely disintegrated on the heel of the stick but was still playable.

I have spoken to a couple of shops about it. Both said they have had some problems with Adidas sticks being returned or queried because of faults, one shop has even refused to sell the sticks this year because of it. I think I’ve been particularly unlucky with the sticks but I have heard that other people have had problems too. Two lads in our squad have this year’s version of the Adibow and so far both look fine, but I will keep checking them to see if any unusual faults appear.

5. HockeyFwd

HockeyFwd FHF Newbie

FastForward24, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you've had bad experiences too. My only concern is that a lot people come on these forums with bad experiences only so the (including my own) views can be a bit slanted. Maybe we are the unlucky ones re breaking sticks? Keep me posted re the guys using them, it would be appreciated - the reverse side broke both times for me within 5 minutes of using them.

6. MF 21

MF 21 FHF Starter

My adibow snapped into two of a open side hit too, but it was last season's model. Shouldn't the dual rods be strong enough to prevent the sticks from snapping?

7. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    You would hope that the versions without the Dual Rods should still stay in one piece!! And at least for half a season if playing a lot or at least a full season if training and playing once a week. Haven't had a single problem with the Atlas im using this season and there is also very little sign of wear (apart from the usual chips and minor paintwork damage).

8. HockeyFwd

HockeyFwd FHF Newbie

I can't comment on the dual rods, the stick didn't snap in half. It was just on the reverse edge. I think if you've used it for over 3 months then you've got to anticipate a bit of damage/weakening. Heard good things about Atlas... are they light in the head?

9. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    The Black Jet feels nice and light in the head as it has a higher balance point. Can't comment on other sticks in the range as ive only seen/used the Black Jet. The sticks been great so far. Hits very hard and has a lovely touch, only downside is that is costs upwards of £250 in the UK. I didn't pay that for it this time, but doubtful I will get a new one when this one expires - £250 is just too much for a stick.

10. HockeyFwd

HockeyFwd FHF Newbie

Yeah, it's a lot of money. Saying that, the Adidas was £237! I've got a replacement now, so will see how it goes on Saturday - expecting a hat trick!

11. MrsMickey

MrsMickey FHF Newbie

I've been a lurker on here but here goes first post:

I got my first Adidas stick in late October, a V24 light. Whilst I am really enjoying playing with it, there is a very slight rattling noise coming from it - similar to a broken ball but not quite as pronounced. Since it started (a couple of weeks after I started to use the stick) the power seemed very slightly down and the stick doesn't feel quite as "crisp" - having said that, this may just be getting used to the different feel of the stick rather than anything actually wrong with it. I'm not a big user of reverse hits but haven't noticed a problem with it. Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse!! wonder if it is a problem with one of the dual rods?

12. John

John FHF Legend

Its obviously a quality control issue with the production runs of these sticks. Most brands go through this at some stage. It tends to be rectified when they turn round to the manufacturing company and threaten to move to a competitor.

13. HBR

HBR FHF Starter

I've been told that the rattle sound can be caused by a loose chip of carbon coming off inside the stick and you can stop it by taking of the end cap and tipping out the loose chip...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

14. John

John FHF Legend

Leave it as it is. Taking end caps off is not too bad, getting them back on can be a complete pain in the posterior.

15. david jones

david jones FHF Newbie

is this just a fluke, or has this happened to lots of people? this is the one thing stopping me from ordering an adidas tx24.......

16. mbferreira

mbferreira FHF Starter

I just have a friend with a TK24 100% carbon, and his a 16 year kid, broke the stick in 4 practices. the stick started to crack and then split in two pieces. I was checking and there are no carbon rods, and foam inserts they described in the catalogue. Also another person with a LX24 100% carbon, as broke the stick with one month use. All of the sticks bought by official retailers. I think adidas is cheating everyone, you only pay the 3 stripes, and quality zero.

17. HockeyFwd

HockeyFwd FHF Newbie

I broke 3 (all within 5 minutes) - now using the 70% carbon version - seems ok, but have put stick magic on the reverse just in case.

18. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    I think the 70% one is the way to go. Heard of a few other people snapping the 100% ones but my mate has the 70% superlight LX24 and it still looks in good condition.

19. DavidBurns

DavidBurns FHF Legend

Had to exchange a broken Tk on Thursday and the guy from urged me not to buy an adidas, I first though he may just have been wanting me to get the gryphon I was looking at as it was more money, until he showed me 7 broken adidas sticks waiting to be returned, all had come in the past 3 days!!
    They need to sort something out, and if it is a bad batch or bad design do it quickly!!

20. John

John FHF Legend

*cough*