Sent off and coming back on

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by lordy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lordy

lordy FHF Regular Player

Hi all,
    Quick question on what is correct in this instance.
    I was given a yellow card on Saturday by umpire A. Did the time and just after Umpire B had given a short corner in his end, Umpire A signalled to me to come back on. I went back to half way, passing Umpire A and onto the pitch, ran to the short corner to become involved in the short corner. Umpire B asked where I'd come from, and I said I'd been brought back on by Umpire A. Umpire B said I couldnt come on for a short corner. I tried to explain that I wasn't a substitute coming "on" for the short corner, but actually back on from sin bin. Anyway, Umpire B said I wasnt allowed on, although I was only folllowing A's instructions! As I went off, Umpire A changed his tune to say that I could only come back on after the short corner had been taken.
    Does anyone know the rules around this - can a sin binned player come back on at a short corner?
    CHeers

2. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Yes, you can come back on at any point when the umpire tells you.

Usually it's at a time where nothing much is happening near to when your time off is ended, so your situation wasn't managed very well by the umpires!

3. lordy

lordy FHF Regular Player

Play had stopped for the short corner and thats when he called me back on. I thought Umpire B was just confusing me coming back on with a substitute coming on?

4. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Yes you can come back on this point if the umpire says so.

But if you check suspended player at PC out, you will see there has already been a thread about this (easily found using the search function) and why as an umpire you shouldn't bring players back on from a suspension when a PC has been given

5. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

I can thoroughly understand why a player shouldn't come back on the pitch when a PC is awarded. However, i have always felt that once a player has done his time... then that's it. I wouldn't expect a gmae to be held up to get the player on but from a coach's perspective their team has been penalised once why should they be twice?

If the players (and umpires) all knew the rules then it wouldn't be a problem, what you are actually doing is pandering to the lack of knowledge of the rules.

6. lordy

lordy FHF Regular Player

They weren't holding play up for me to come back on - it just happened that play had stopped for the PC and then the umpire called me back on.

7. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I normally find that in a tournament the player would not be signalled on to the pitch until the short corner had finished.
    In an ordinary league match i have found that this would also be the case.

Personally i like it as a coach, its straight forward and easy to follow, plus i normally substitue players that get sent off.

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

I see your logic but on the other side the coin, Twisty's comment on the earlier thread is a weighty consideration as well - it just doesn't look good if a key player returns just as a PC is awarded and I think it opens you up to accusations that perhaps your timing of the card wasn't accurate.

It's a messy scenario to be sure, and I think it's preferable to go with the more established common practise in order to keep things peaceful.

Edit: link fixed

9. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Would appear to be a very badly managed issue by both umpires.

The YC is for a min of 5 minutes not an exact 5 minutes, so as others have said if a corner was to be played out then you would not be allowed back on until after the corner situation.

Would be great if all players and umpire knew the rules but that is most unlikely to ever eventuate.

As a TD and a UC I would not be impressed with the handling of the situation and would have been speaking with both umpires after the game just to clarify several issues.

AU

10. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

one thing I never do is bring a player on during a PC...It confused us when I saw it this year and I know why I was told not to do it.

the second thing is..I never bring a player on when the ball is in the 23 he is standing off in.

there is no rules for this...but I find it easier to manage...and the attacking team doesnt get a nasty suprise.

of course if the player goes off and I have a technical bench...then any point is ok as it doesnt prove advantageous.

11. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I suspect that you would not OK the PC situation because that does/may be advantageous

12. foozbear

no I wouldnt ok it....only because it is an advantagous situation.

also....the player may go to a bench and pick up a stick....as I believe they arent meant to have a stick in the TD area anyway. Its an added chance to breach the rule.

also what happens is if he is then subbed before coming back on...

it can lead to too many questions....not enough love...

13. Twister

Twister FHF Regular Player

I said something weighty, but the link is broken, and now I can't remember what it was! :(

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

Sorry hun, it's fixed.

And foozbear - I've been trying to PM you for days, could you please clear out your inbox? Thanks!

15. Resslys Agent

Resslys Agent FHF Starter

Happened in a game yesterday, player suspended and I said to him, 'you're on at the next break in play' - which just happened to be a penalty corner.
    He asked 'can I come on?' at I said 'after the corner's completed' which he accepted. Goal scored on he came!
    Think I'd have done this anyway but the advice on here made sure I did!

16. foozbear

but its all important....newsletters and stuff...

but its clear now...ill leave you to explain to the site boss why I deleted their mails.

17. keely

keely FHF Legend

Uh, yeah.... I don't think they take it personally. ;)