Scottish Leagues 2010-2011

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scothockey, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Scothockey

Scothockey FHF Newbie

What do we all feel about new season coming up?

Winners and Losers for this season?

Who's going to win nat one and cup?

Who's going to get promoted from nat 2 and who's facing the drop????

My Predictions are (only mens as I dont know much about ladeis hockey except nat one)

Nat One:

1. Kelburne
    2. Clydesdale (Potential Dark Horse for the cup)
    3. Western

Glasgow Domination

Relegation touble for Wanderers, Aberdeen and surprisingly Inverleith!!!

Promotion from Nat 2:

1.Cala
    2.Falkrik or Stepps

2. Michael10

Michael10 FHF Starter

Difficult to see past Kelburne for either of the main trophies I'm afraid.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I suspect that CALA and Stepps will contest the promotion spots. If we could match last year for consistency, and maybe finish in the top half again, I would be happy.

Maybe WIT and ESM (finally) from Div 3? Ooops, forgot about Inveross !!

3. CiaranCrawford

CiaranCrawford FHF Regular Player

Still hard to see past Kelburne with the talent & experience they have. Not sure about the cup, may throw up a surprise, who knows. I hope we can build on last years third place and push for second and europe, it will be tough work to achieve. Relegation is anybodys guess but I back MIM and Stepps to come up if two still promote seing as there's no split now.

4. Scothockey

Scothockey FHF Newbie

I saw a lot of nat one last year and if Clydesdale improve as much again they will be serious contenders for 2nd and the cup. You are right ciaran its hard to look past Kelburne but its going to happen one day and indeed Grange beat Inverleith in the final a couple of seasons ago!!

I think nat 2 will be Cala as I hear they have strengthened again with a couple of u18 internationals joining along with a couple more experienced players. Although will the inexperience of their young players (last season more than half their squad was under 18) count against them.. Also a young coach?

I think Watsonians/Stepps and Falkirk will compete for the play off place, although as we say last year Falkirk took points off Cala second half.

I agree its should be ESM's turn from nat 3!

As regards women, will be interesting I can see Western ending Grove's dominance. Rumours of a few players leaving grove? Unfounded or anyone hear this as well?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the lower ladies divisions??

5. geriverstik50

geriverstik50 FHF Regular Player

Funny how loads keep predicting Wanderers' relegation and it never happens. Is this on the basis that one season you'll be right?

Difficult to see anyone stopping Kelburne again. I predict Cala to win " and Grove to retain ladies title after a close battle with..er.. Wanderers (ladies).

6. Michael10

Michael10 FHF Starter

According to the chat yesterday, it looks like Div 2 and 3 are going to be running with 12 teams each next season as there have been a few teams taking up the offer of direct entry from regional (MGM, EK, Stirling and Stirling Uni I think), and so WIT and St Andrews are no longer relegated.

On that basis, I'll change my div 3 prediction to Inveross and ESM lol

7. Scothockey

Scothockey FHF Newbie

Michael that is interesting. I have not hear anything like that but it may explain why they have yet to release the mens league fixtures for national league!

In regard to wanderers, I would say that I have predicted it for the following reasons, one of which is not if I keep doing it I will be right sometime.

1) They have had a few trying seasons (like cala did recently)

2) They have lost a lot of players, and they have a fery young and inexperienced squad.

3) Their senior players (older retired players) willeventually stop returning after christmas to pull them out of trouble

4) Steven Glass has left the club

5) I feel that they have been worsening for some years now and this is actually the first time that i think they may be in trouble.

8. reversechop

reversechop FHF Regular Player

hmmm, seemed like we sturggled to fit 16 games into Div 2 last season. Now we're going to be trying to fit in 22. looks like we'll be playing a lot in the winter months, i'll have to invest in some thermals

9. Michael10

Michael10 FHF Starter

I think that the fixtures were due to be out last week, but this has forced a rethink. Basically too many teams wanting to be in div 3, and no way of (sensibly) arranging the fixtures. From the entries returned so far, dundee uni, stirling uni, stirling wanderers and MGM have all signed up for div 3 (EK remaining in regional)

Given that the pre and post xmas outdoor fixtures are book ended by indoor and the cups, seems like we'll have to start earlier or play some more Sundays. Certainly going to be getting our monies worth going from 16 games to 22 !!

10. haggis

haggis FHF Top Player

is it me, or is it all becoming a bit of a joke...

1st we had the split, which made for some interesting pitch arranging 2nd half of the season, now we have no fixtures with not long to go before the start of the season, assuming the start date stays at sept 11th...

automatic entry to d3 just for applying as well... surely teams should have to play their way up, rather than just fill out a form! in fact, can we just do that to get into d1 as well? saves actually having to get there on merit. I'm not having a go at the teams who have done so - why wouldnt you if the opportunity arose and you wanted to - just seems to have made last season (reversed relegations if they happen), and the ones before that, completely irrelevant! i'm fed up of this season already, and (other than pre-season) it hasn't even started yet!

it could be worse though, the plans for next seasons cricket in scotland make all this look like a walk in the park!

11. reversechop

i think the application thing was to help them sort the new plans for reserve league style structure, ie making leagues specifically for 2nd xi's. The idea of this was to stop teams like GHK refusing promotion so that they don't have to spend seasons getting hammered by Western 2's and Kelburne 2's and a few others. Which is why i suspect they have allowed teams to apply to bypass this.
    i agree though in terms of the relegation aspect. Some teams that were relegated last year deserved to be, and teams that finished 3rd in the league below possibly have a better case for being promoted.
    i think it is a fair idea to have a 2's only league, may help development in smaller clubs. But it will still leave the problem of the 2nd xi league being stronger than national 3 and possibly as strong as National 2. Maybe need to find a way to spread the talent wealth more evenly.

12. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

hmm.. but then you will have a completely pointless league, such in the womens league with the reserve league. Its a point less system, where there is a laugue where you cant get relegated or promoted, and clubs can enter numerous teams.. I dont really see the point in it tbh. I think this league was a mistake in the first place.... I cant see a need for something like this in the mens league

just my opinion

viks

13. reversechop

There doesn't appear to be an ideal solution to this unfortunately. For small clubs, central 1 is almost impossible to get out of. Allowing promotion for 2nd xi's could end up with national leagues being over-run by 4-5 clubs. And it seems there are too many very good (experienced) players on both the west and east coast who would rather stick it out in the 2nd xi's of the big clubs hoping to step up to the 1's than move to other clubs playing national league where they would easily be a top player in the 1st team. This may be due to the level that the training is played at.
    I can think of a few examples where players have made this step, and it has worked out very well for both player and the new club. This is maybe something Scottish Hockey needs to really look at. *i don't really want to mention any names in case it looks like i am stirring anything, and i have only viewed these situations as an outsider.

14. Roman Abramovich

Roman Abramovich FHF Starter

"And it seems there are too many very good (experienced) players on both the west and east coast who would rather stick it out in the 2nd xi's of the big clubs hoping to step up to the 1's than move to other clubs playing national league where they would easily be a top player in the 1st team. This may be due to the level that the training is played at."

Might it be that these players are members of a club and do not wish to move to a lesser club, The club probably having spent alot of time and effort to produce the player and that the player might feel some loyalty towards the club.

15. reversechop

Yes, a lot of the time this is the case. and i can see why people would do this. But there are a few cases where people move to the bigger clubs hoping to play in the first team, only to find themselves playing 2nd and 3rd team hockey (i've actually done this myself). As i said, i'm not looking to stir anything up. Just offering a view, which i can't state with absolute authority so best to just view it as an opinion.

Anyways, i was told last night at training that the 12 teams in Nat 2 and 3 plan is not going ahead. So only 18 games this season which is a relief. Apparently the uptake for the propsed reserve league only amounted to 6 teams, with most preferring to stay in central 1 it would seem. There seems to be no easy solution to this inequity in scotland. But still seems a little odd to have a league for mostly 2nd teams (central 1) which is as strong a league as national 2. And still leaves a lot of teams not wanting to be promoted into this league.

16. Card-Happy

Card-Happy FHF Starter

I had heard it was going ahead from 3 different clubs! As usual we are always the last to know anything!

Will hopefulyl hear something today or tomorrow as its getting way too close to the season to start booking pitches.

Mon the mighty -whatever club im at this season-

17. reversechop

not staying with WIT?

i'm also a little un-keen (<-is that a word?) on the new rules that are being trialed in scotland. Same as internationals, green card is a 2 min suspension. Early breakers from short corner defence sent to halfway and not replaced, so you will have to defend with one less. This even applies to GK's. And apparently clubs, even those that are struggling to get a team nevermind officials, might have to provide a technical person to help administer all this extra hassle.

18. Card-Happy

Card-Happy FHF Starter

Im not even at WIT these days, technically signed to Watsons but no looking to stay. Will see how the next few weeks go :)

Liek the idea of the green card if only to ensure i get less yellows! Loosing a player at SCs shouldnt be an issue, its not hard not to jump the gun, you only gain a yard at best anyway.

I just want to see the fixtures now and get back into some real games.

19. reversechop

so has there been a mass exodus from WIT then since the big R?

20. Scothockey

Scothockey FHF Newbie

Re: Scottish Leagues 2010-2011t

I feel if these so called lesser clubs would stp up and play at central one level then they would get better playing against better teams. A lot of these second team you mention are young players coming up and oldere players gong down. As previous posters have mentioned they are club members and perhaps have club loyalty.

Its no surprise that clubs like Kelbirne are successful when you see the number of young players coming through (half of clydesdale first team came from Kelburne). Clubs like cala and clydesdale are now steadily producing players at youth international level. Clubs need to look within and work on Youth coaching to start to produce players of a higher level if they wish to improve.

Its easy to say what will the SHU do about it. Why should they do anything??? Surley people choose which club to play for notthe SHU?? Som players stay at clubs because they are loyal, dont want to play 1st team hockey and travel across the country, or are young and upcoming or on the way down but want to hand over their experience to their clubs youth players.

I would hold up cala men as a shining example of how to turn a club round in two years, along with Clydesdale. Keep working and produce your own players, Dont expect them to come from elsewhere.

Maybe if the 'lesser' clubs showed more ambition they would attract these players you speak of??

It is not easy but it can be done, if it was easy we would all be Kelburne!! But we are not!