Drills Saving to the left

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by KH67, Oct 11, 2017.

1. KH67

KH67 FHF Reserve Player

Since a shoulder operation last year, I'm struggling to save to my left. Have been practicing short shuffles to get my footwork sharper and when I have no option but to commit on the right, no problem - but when the ball is dragged to my left and have to commit, I'm sticking my foot out. Anyone know of any other drills I can try.

2. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Guess it's about strengthening and conditioning your shoulder then lots and lots hand eye stuff for your left hand ( I m assuming you meaning your not diving ?) maybe stand at right post have someone gently lob the ball at left side to dive then step up the pace

3. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

You're certainly not the first keeper to have issues with saves to the left and I'm sure you won't be the last!

It's often a psychological thing in my experience - we talk ourselves into thinking "i'm right handed, right footed, etc" and struggle to replicate on the left - concerns over your shoulder will only, understandably, exacerbate this!

Lots of footwork drills, as you're doing, will help. If you're struggling with the dives I'd recommend going right back to basics - starting on your knees and diving left, then building up to crouching, then standing a bit higher, until you're going from a normal ready position. This should help build your confidence in your technique moving to the left.

Once you're comfortable doing that, then move into drills as nemo suggests - start on the right post and move across to the left. To really force yourself to have to commit, a good drill is to start on the post facing the sideline where the 23 meets, sprint to a cone about 2-3 yards out and then the ball is fed into the back post from the top of the D. A lot of the time you won't get there, but it'll make you really, really go for it! You're far enough away that just sticking out a hopeful boot is definitely not going to be enough, so you've got to move your feet (and fast) and you've almost certainly got to throw yourself into a fully extended dive to get across. Start off with the ball coming in at a slow enough pace that you can get there relatively comfortably (to build confidence in the technique again) and then up it until it's really difficult and you're having to really go for it.

A great tip I had once: when a lot of people dive, they push off with what will become their bottom leg when they're on the ground (so right leg if you're going right, left if you're going left). You'll actually get more distance if you push off with the other leg, and almost tuck the bottom leg out of the way. You're looking to save with your hand/stick so the fact that you might lose the perfect long barrier of your legs isn't a huge problem.

4. JE87

JE87 FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Ritual - various to suit my coaching needs!
    Depending on access to facilities/resources and time - get hold of a crash mat from a gym/sports hall (or train in the sports hall), then start catching tennis balls left hand only in a dive to your left onto the crash mat, without your kit. Then just add your GK kit in stages, get someone to hit the balls with a tennis racket, lower balls so you dive lower.

After a few sessions, head onto the pitch without the crash mat, and keep building up stage by stage until you get to 1v1 with an attacker and a hockey ball.

5. bigdave1981

bigdave1981 FHF Regular Player

as JE87 said use a crash mat and tennis balls, when we had bad weather id take the GKs inside the hall and use tennis balls and crash mats.
    got them to dive and save wearing their gloves and stick, not fully kitted up so that they get use to it.